Ironhead Race Productions
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 31m 16s
Overall Rank = 124/324
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 10/21
Pre-race routine:

Not much. Got up early to set up my transition spot. Took in some Hammer Gel before the prerace briefing.
Event warmup:

Not much. Just walked around the transition until the prerace briefing.
Swim
  • 11m 33s
  • 400 meters
  • 02m 53s / 100 meters
Comments:

Very bad swim for a couple of different reasons. The main one was that I didn't train enough, so I couldn't go out fast to get away from everyone. The other reason that ties into the not training is that the sprint was billed as a beginner race. This meant that there were probably a lot of people that have never done a tri or even an open water swim, so their navigation skills weren't so great. Since my training was so poor, I didn't have the fitness to get out in front and get away from the jostling. Also, when we got to the buoys, most everyone stopped and dog paddled around them instead of just taking the turn in stride. But the poor performance still rests on me. Gotta train to do better.
What would you do differently?:

Get to the pool and train! If I would have done this, I wouldn't have had the issues with the other swimmers.
Transition 1
  • 02m 30s
Comments:

Pretty pleased with the transition. It was a long run up to the transition, so I figured it would take longer than normal. I was tied for fifth in my age group as far as time, so not bad. Of course, all I needed to do is put my sunglasses, helmet, and number belt on. Pretty simple. Shoes were already on the bike.

Not much I could do differently... just practice getting into my shoes on the bike.
Bike
  • 40m 1s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 18.64 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt good on the bike for the training I put in.

Again, train more. Even though I had a good ride, I felt I wasn't up to the speed I needed to be. This can only be solved by riding.
Transition 2
  • 01m 36s
Comments:

I did okay in T2 though I don't think it could have been much faster. I was sixth in my age group.

Not much to do differently other than fine tune.
Run
  • 35m 34s
  • 3.45 miles
  • 10m 19s  min/mile
Comments:

A good run for the amount of training I put in. I walked twice. Once after the first water stop where the course climbed up to the Herring Ave bridge. The other was somewhere between mile 2 and 3 and it was only for about 30 seconds. Ran the last hill up to the suspension bridge. My body felt good, I just didn't have the fitness to go faster or harder.

Just gotta train.
Post race
Warm down:

Stopped moving. ;O)
Talked with family.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of training, plain and simple. I've done this plenty of times before, so the decision making and mechanics are there, I just have to train.

Event comments:

This was a very good event in an area that needed something like this. Jack always puts on a top-notch event and the organization showed that. I think there is room for improvement since this was the first year for this event. The race start was about 15 minutes behind schedule and I don't know why, but it wasn't much of a problem. My only quibble, and it's a small one, is that there were not enough racks in the transition area. The bikes were packed in like sardines. I am planning on doing this race again next year and I highly recommend it. It's nice to be able to walk out of the hotel (if you got in at the host hotel) and into the transition area.

Last updated: 2009-05-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:33 | 400 meters | 02m 53s / 100meters
Age Group: 11/21
Overall: 165/324
Performance: Below average
Suit: shorts and a top
Course: Counter-clockwise square of 100 meters to each side in the Brazos River.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 82F / 28C Current: Low
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 02:30
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
00:40:01 | 12.43 miles | 18.64 mile/hr
Age Group: 12/21
Overall: 119/324
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Out and back course that was pretty flat and really smooth. No chip seal! Yay!
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:36
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:35:34 | 03.45 miles | 10m 19s  min/mile
Age Group: 13/21
Overall: 162/324
Performance: Average
Course: Flat course with a couple of short climbs. Half pavement, half sidewalk. Good course.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes