Tirburon Fire Protection District
60F / 16C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 08m 45s
Overall Rank = 109/293
Age Group = 41
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Still a little tired from the 70.3 the weekend before but got good sleep the night before, did an easy 4 mile run on Thursday and a short but hilly bike ride on Saturday (D Street). Got all the gear together on Saturday night. We got to transition around 6:30 AM, so we had plenty of time to check things out and get ready.
Event warmup:

Nothing really.
Swim
  • 16m 36s
  • 900 yards
  • 01m 50s / 100 yards
Comments:

As usual, I started slow and then slowed down some more. At the start there was some confusion over the various waves and who should or should not be on the dock. There was no opportunity to warm up between waves. I knew I was swimming OK because I was constantly in a pack. All of the 90 degree turns seem to bunch everyone up. There was quite a bit of contact.

The buoys were very small and hard to see, I basically just followed the pack until I was right on the buoy. Also, not sure about the actual distance as it seems to vary from year to year.
What would you do differently?:

Try to go out a little faster.
Transition 1
  • 05m 29s
Comments:

There is about a 1/4 mile run from the yacht club to T1 on pavement.

I got a little hung up putting on my jacket but I'm glad I did.
Bike
  • 29m 50s
  • 9 miles
  • 18.10 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike was fun, didn't really run into very much traffic. I remember maybe 3 or 4 guys passing me. I went about as hard as I could on this course without taking too many chances.

I rode about as hard as I could. I don't see how I could squeeze more speed out of that course, but I will try next year to knock a few minutes off.
Transition 2
  • 01m 21s
Comments:

Get to T1 and someone had my spot so I had to move the other bike a little. Also, took off my jacket and that took a few extra seconds as well.

Maybe next year try riding in running shoes with toe clips, I don't think I would lose that much time during the bike.
Run
  • 15m 27s
  • 2 miles
  • 07m 43s  min/mile
Comments:

Got my running legs pretty quickly and the weather was great, overcast and cool. I ran just about as hard as I could.

Nothing. I was near redline the whole time.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around and waited for Bruce to finish. Talked to Kristi, Natalie and Holly.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The swim was slow as usual due to the traffic and pile-ups. I had some good drafting opportunities though. I thought my bike avg speed would have been higher it was just slightly faster than last year. I'm not sure how much faster I can ride that course. I did the best I could on the run.

Event comments:

This is my favorite race. Great location, great value, lots of fun, a REAL goodie bag w/Tshirt, beer tent, refreshments, etc. This is a fun grassroots-type race. It's been around for a while. Like they say, it is not a race, it's just for fun. A great race for a first timer or relay team. As a bonus, the results were online a few hours after the race.

Last updated: 2009-07-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:16:36 | 900 yards | 01m 50s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 183/293
Performance: Average
Suit: Full Zoot Fuzion
Course: Out through the SF Yacht club to the seawall, make a 90 degree left turn and then a 90 degree right turn out into the cove. Make a left turn at the buoy and then another left turn at buoy number two then back past the seawall through the yachtclub docks and then up the ramp.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 60F / 16C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 05:29
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:29:50 | 09 miles | 18.10 mile/hr
Overall: 90/293
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: Overall a pretty technical course starting with the flat section on the bike path not a lot of room to pass and a few dangerous sections with sand and loose gravel. Also, there were some non-race traffic on the path. Luckily, the first mile or so are very flat. The rest of the course is rolling hills and lots of curves, some of the sections are rough.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:21
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:15:27 | 02 miles | 07m 43s  min/mile
Overall: 120/293
Performance: Good
Course: Flat clock-wise course through a residential area, nice surfaces.
Keeping cool Good Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-07-27 11:25 AM

User image

Expert
SF Bay Area
Subject: Tiburon Triathlon

2009-07-27 11:52 PM
in reply to: #2310140

User image

Extreme Veteran
San Francisco CA
Subject: RE: Tiburon Triathlon
Great job on the race!

I was there too - it was my first tri ever and I agree that it's a great race with lots of great volunteers and atmosphere.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tiburon Triathlon Rss Feed