TriNS
23C / 73F
Sunny
Total Time = 2h 28m 14s
Overall Rank = 14/47
Age Group = M30-39
Age Group Rank = 5/11
Pre-race routine:

Workouts in the early afternoon the day before (bike/run) and then drove to New Glasgow with Victoria and took it easy before the race. Got a decent night's sleep, got up, had a quick breakfast and headed to the race site. Arrived with about an hour to go before the start.
Event warmup:

Planned on only a swim wu but with the delays and then hurry to start, didn't get in the water for a wu before so started the race cold.
Swim
  • 25m 45s
  • 1500 meters
  • 01m 43s / 100 meters
Comments:

I started poorly due to misjudging the sandbar; I ran into the water, did two dolphin dives and then stood up to run across the sandbar. Should have been one dolphin dive and things would have worked out better. I went hard to the first buoy but felt slow and just couldn't get going. I grabbed the feet of the person in front and although they were never quite working as hard as I wanted, everytime I tried to break feww I couldn't make any headway so I just dropped in and drafted. Pretty much even split between the loops and was a little faster than last year. Still disappointing as I wanted to stand up at 23 something but another poor swim.
What would you do differently?:

More swimming in July; unfortunately due to the move I just haven't had time in the water since the end of June.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Solid T1

Nothing
Bike
  • 1h 16m 21s
  • 40 kms
  • 31.43 km/hr
Comments:

I just couldn't get going on the bike; I came out of the water with Tom and that typically means I had a really bad swim. This took me out of the game and I just couldn't get my head in the game. I was aero most of the time and working to stay on pace but I just couldn't hold the effort where I wanted. I was passed by several people on the bike and just couldn't respond; I was able to up the pace for a bit but I couldn't hold the effort. I felt a little better over the last 10km but otherwise I was very disappointed in this effort. I was about four minutes slower than last year on the bike.

Warmup and more miles throughout the year.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

Very good; quickly out on the run.

Nothing
Run
  • 46m 9s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 37s  min/km
Comments:

I felt awful throughout the run; like I was taking baby steps out of transition and then climbing the hill out of transition I felt like I was putting in the worst run I have ever had. I wasn't getting passed but just wasn't feeling good on the run. I came through the 2.5km mark at about 10:30 and figured although I wasn't on pace for a great run that under 42 would be decent. I tried to maintain focus and pace through the next 2.5km but I came through the turnaround around 23'. On the way out I saw where Parker was (solidly in first), Ryan (3rd) with Josh chasing (4th) and trying to stay clear of Matthias. At the turn I saw where my chasers were and knew that Adrian was going to run me down in short order. My goal at that point became to stay clear for as long as possible knowing that he would eventually get me. He caught me about 1km before the sprint turnaround and then I tried to stay on his heels for as long as possible. I was able to keep him in check through another couple of km and then he pulled away. I tried to run fast down the hill and keep him in sight (and by this point I knew that I was putting more time into Mark as well) but just couldn't catch anyone before the line. I hit the line with my worst Oly finish since my second season and very frustrated. I was sure I had a terrible run but looking at some of the times, I'm pretty sure the run was long (Adrian is usually a 38 Oly runner and went 42) but still disappointing to be six minutes off last year's result.

Run faster :)
Post race
Warm down:

Finished and grabbed water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Swim and bike fitness; not keeping my head in the game.

Event comments:

As usual this race was somewhat disorganized and things ran late. Many of the volunteers were unsure of their role and the head official was very disorganized as well. Still not a bad race but can be improved.

Last updated: 2009-07-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:25:45 | 1500 meters | 01m 43s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/11
Overall: 14/47
Performance: Below average
Suit: Orca Evo
Course: Two clockwise triangular laps
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 16C / 61F Current: Medium
200M Perf. Below average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:16:21 | 40 kms | 31.43 km/hr
Overall: 16/47
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Bad
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:46:09 | 10 kms | 04m 37s  min/km
Overall: 11/47
Performance: Average
Course: 5km out and back; mainly uphill going out and downhill coming back.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-07-27 12:19 PM

User image

Champion
Montague Gold Mines, Nova Scotia
Subject: Pictou County YMCA Triathlon

2009-07-28 11:30 PM
in reply to: #2310300

User image

Westminster, CO
Subject: RE: Pictou County YMCA Triathlon

shucks!  looks like a challenging day for you.  Good results in the end, even in comparison to last year.  Its been a busy summer for you.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pictou County YMCA Triathlon Rss Feed