Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Muskoka 70.3 - My take on the bike ride Rss Feed  
Moderators: Silver_wlf, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-27 12:57 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
Subject: Muskoka 70.3 - My take on the bike ride
Last weekend, I took the Friday off and headed up to Huntsville to do a training ride on the Muskoka course.  I know people have posted their views on this course in the past, but I figured I'd throw in my 2 cents as well.

First off - if you are going up there, be forewarned that there is currently construction going on at Deerhurst.  You cannot enter the resort through the normal road, but have to take a detour all the way around to get in.  That said, you then can't get to the bike course if you are actually in the resort.  So take the normal entrance, and there is a small parking lot right before the "Road Closed" sign (I think for a golf course).  This is where I parked and then the start of the ride is right there (my total distance was about 1.5km short because I wasn't in the resort).  Also, North Portage is dug up and just gravel for about 2-3km.  I kept thinking I must have been on the wrong road, but it does eventually end at the lake where you then turn left.

As for the ride - I don't ride a lot of consistent hills in any of my current routes, and the legs were certainly feeling it by the end of day.  The first 15km, is a constant up and down and you have no real opportunity to get aero.  Once you get to Hwy 35, then you can get comfortable and crank a bigger gear.  This continues all the way to the end of 117.  That said, even though you can get going, there is no flat road - you are either going up or down.  Also, even though I said you can crank a big gear, it might be wise not to push too hard.  I didn't, but still felt fatigued near the end (I also haven't ridden the distance that much either).

After 117 things get interesting again.  You get met by another three hills that hit you pretty hard before you get to South Portage - once you turn here, be prepared for some unforgiving road.  The road itself is not in the best condition for the first part + you get hill after hill after hill.  I really couldn't believe that the hills don't end, but S. Portage finally ends when you turn back onto N. Portage.  Again, a little warning.  The 2nd last hill on N. Portage has a grade of about 14-16%, I was in my last gear cursing trying to get up it.

All said and done, the course is beautiful, but very challenging (at least for me).  As for the run, I did the first 3km, and while not as up and down as the bike course it was certainly not flat.  It will be interesting to see what the rest of it looks like on race day.

2009-07-27 7:09 PM
in reply to: #2310432

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Subject: RE: Muskoka 70.3 - My take on the bike ride
I did this race last and yes the bike portion of the race is very challenging.  Especially for those who ride in fairly flat areas most of the time.  The course is beautiful though.

Last year's race was interesting.  It rained from start to finish which made thing a little slick.  Both my husband and I did this race and we both saw a few bike crashes.  Hopefully this year's race will be filled with sunshine! 

The water temp for the swim was chilly...somewhere in the mid 60's I believe.  I felt a little lightheaded and dizzy at first.  My hubby wore earplugs and said that it helped him a lot.

As for the run...it's fun.  It's an out and back and has some rolling hills.  The end of the run takes you through the golf course at Deerhurst along the cart paths!

If you leave near the area I highly recommend doing some training rides on the course...and if not...do lots of hill work in preparation!

Good luck!
2009-07-28 11:46 AM

User image

Expert
Ontario
I did the race last year and was registered for this year but had to withdraw.

The hills on the bike course trashed my legs and I had major cramping problems.  I did ride in aero a lot of the time, partly because it poured rain the whole day and the rain pelting against your face was painful at times so staying aero helped to avoid that.  They talked about changing the run course so you don't run on the golf course this year - hope that happened because the golf course paths were uneven and very cambered as well as up and down hills.. it was tough.

Hope you guys have nice weather this year.  It is a beautiful area and the race was great despite being so challenging.
2009-07-28 12:34 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario

They have announced that the run will not go onto the golf course this year.

2009-07-28 2:53 PM

I just rode the course this weekend. It was great practice. The hills never seem to end on the way back from Baysville (~65km mark) and the out and back section actually has some rough gravel on it (~2 km) so I wouldn't suggest riding it unless you are prepared to change a flat. Also the construction around Deerhurst makes the beginning almost impossible to ride. The rest of the course looks good and I'm excited to race it. Hope everyone's training is going well.
2009-08-04 12:42 PM

User image

Master
Rural Ontario
Tri bike vs. Road Bike at Muskoka 70.3

A friend and I were recently debating what type of bike is a better bet for this race.

On one hand a Tri bike is more aerodynamic, and as long as you can stay in the aero position you will fly BUT... With all the rolling hills it will be tough to get into aero position for any period of time. Each time you climb a hill you slow and the advantage of aero position diminish. Folding up and down in and out of aero sucks, and changing gears while climbing is not as easy when the shifters are at the end of your aero bars. The tri bike is not very good at going uphills.

On the other hand a good road bike, with its 73 degree geometry (approx.)  will keep you sitting upright and less aerodynamic but will allow you to keep powering up the hills. The stiffer frame and easier gear shifts will save seconds.

So what type of bike is best to ride a fast time on the Muskoka 70.3?

Extensive research shows that only the Yamaha YZF-R1 (950cc engine) will give you the speed you want without tireing your legs out for the run. Unfortunately, I believe that this bike may not be ITU or Ironman legal (also, at 1000+ lbs,  its a to run out of transition)

Edited by mgalanter 2009-08-04 12:44 PM

2009-08-06 10:47 AM

I was actually wondering the same thing myself. I used the Road bike when I was up there last but was thinking that the tri bike might still be at a little advantage from the flat section about half way through the bike course. The tri bike is definitely at a disadvantage on the climbs so it could go either way. But those are just my $0.02. Does anyone who rode this last year have some insight?
2009-08-06 9:33 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario

I used my tri bike last year, but this year I'm considering switching over to my road bike.

I just read the athlete's guide and was pleasantly surprised to see that Pepsi is available at the run aid stations. I don't usually see cola in a 70.3, so this could be a life saver if I have gastric issues as I did at Steelhead.

2009-08-08 4:42 PM

User image

Elite
Ontario
I'm confused - Cola to fix gastric issues?  I would have thought it would cause iuuses because of all the carbonation?  Is this wrong?
2009-08-08 4:49 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Richmond Hill, Ontario
I used the tri bike last year and will be using it again this year.

I will be riding the course this coming week not once but twice (Wednesday and Saturday).  I'm a glutton for punishment...
2009-08-08 8:12 PM
in reply to: #2336082

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario

GoFaster - 2009-08-08 4:42 PM I'm confused - Cola to fix gastric issues?  I would have thought it would cause iuuses because of all the carbonation?  Is this wrong?

Lots of people swear by flat coke late in an ironman. Some people say that it is the fast fuel from the sugar and the jolt from the caffeine, but for me it just settles my stomach late in the race when I can't tolerate any more Gatorade. Coke was the only thing that got me through IM FL, and last week at Steelhead I wanted to hurl at the end and a few sips of coke fixed me right up. Outside of long races I never drink coke.

2009-08-09 5:12 AM

Extreme Veteran
Wilmington, NC
Pepsi will definately be an added bonus!  I was sooooooooo sick of Gatorade by the time I got to the run last year at Muskoka.  I would have done anything for a sip of Pepsi or Coke! 
2009-09-01 2:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Mooretown, Ontario Canada
I rode 82k of the 94k course last week, skipped most of the out and back from Deerhurst, due to gravel/narrow roads. There is a park right at the top of the loop, so it was a good spot to be dropped at for my ride. I think the OP did a great job of explaining this course, I agree 100%. I was pretty sick of hills when I finished the loop, but did turn towards Deerhurst to hit the two hills that were right there, despite the rough road. That second one was a , so I turned around to get back to the park for a swim and wait for my ride.

As I rode this, I kept thinking if a road bike would be better than my tri bike, and I honestly think that its a 50/50 choice. So I don't think it really matters, ride the one you like the best as 50% of the time you will be wishing you had the other anyway.

Getting close now, best of luck to you all.

FishHog
New Thread
Canadian Triathlon Forum Ontario » Muskoka 70.3 - My take on the bike ride Rss Feed