Korff Enterprises
25C / 77F
Overcast
Total Time = 2h 25m 35s
Overall Rank = 255/3460
Age Group = Clydesdale - 39
Age Group Rank = 4/70
Pre-race routine:

In a slightly bad combination of weather and timing, my wife's birthday drinks party got pushed from Friday evening to Saturday afternoon which essentially resulted in me not getting to bed until gone midnight on Saturday after enduring a sober evening with twenty of our least sober friends.

Anyway, as I live on the UWS I woke at 5.50am and had a bagel with PB&J and some water with electrolyte and made my way down to transition.
Event warmup:

My warmup was essentially rushing around to try and fix the puncture I had found in my rear tyre 15 minutes before transition closed. Little more stressful than I would have liked, but at least I'd taken the time to check my bike when I first arrived at transition.
Swim
  • 18m 40s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

Firstly, swimming with a strong current rocks, I wish I could do it in all my races!

I was pretty relaxed getting into the water at the start, and had positioned myself about 15-20' from the right hand side to avoid the outside scrum at the start. Start was a little boisterous, but nothing more than a few elbows, however a couple of minutes into the swim as I just got into my rhythm I swallowed a bit of water and ended up with a gagging sensation that meant I needed to flip onto my back for 4-5 seconds to regroup. After that I got back into rhythm, pushed out to the rightmost side of the course to make the most of the current and seemed to catch and pass several people in my wave which is a first for me.
Nearly went wide of the buoys at the swim exit and ended up with the current knocking me sideways into the first mark.
What would you do differently?:

I never breathe every stroke in practice, but I always tend to race that way. Although I breathe both sides reasonably, it made sense to breathe to the left and use the distance from the river wall to navigate, but as a result I felt that my stroke was asymmetric and not very efficient. Need to work on every stroke breathing in my training, no good being a reasonable 3-5 stroke per breath pool swimmer if I never race that way.
Transition 1
  • 04m
Comments:

8th in division, didn't feel rushed, but have not quite mastered kicking my ankles out of the suit

Nothing much, but can always improve
Bike
  • 1h 11m 5s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 20.98 mile/hr
Comments:

With my first HIM coming up in four weeks I had decided to race keeping an eye on my HR and try and keep it below mid Zone 4, particularly on the climbs to avoid going into the red zone which I usually do. As I result I didn't attack any of the rolling climbs as hard as I would have normally done and I just spun them at high cadence, with little increase in HR. The result of this was I ended up being disappointed with my time, particularly as I was running a pair of Zipp 808s (courtesy of Race Day Wheels) for the first time.

Push much harder like I normally do. That said, the discipline to hold HR during the race was a good exercise ahead of Timberman and my time wasn't that bad really.
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

5th in division and felt fast but unrushed

Not bother taking Garmin off bike. I thought it would help me pace, but I didn't bring the wrist strap and I just left it in one of my jersey rear pockets for the duration of the run - 10 seconds lost I guess.
Run
  • 50m 26s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 08m 07s  min/mile
Comments:

I had high hopes for the run, particularly as I had done the ride in such a controlled way. I decided to bring a small hand flask with Infinit in it for the first part of the run (must remember to pick it up from the bush I threw it in in Central Park!) and this was actually really good as I could take some fluid while running on the flat of 72nd St and also avoid stopping at the first few aid stations.
I'm not good in humidity, and although the conditions weren't that bad I really felt like I was overheating on the run. I was shooting for 7:45-7:50 for the run so was disappointed to find that I'd gone over 8

I recovered very quickly at the finish line and didn't really feel that tired for the rest of the day which indicates to me that I should have pushed harder on the run as per normal. I'm a relatively inexperienced runner so I think I just need to get a few more training seasons under my belt to improve run pace and build the ability to push myself on the run like I can on the bike.
Post race
Warm down:

Met my wife and drank a lot of fluids.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Mainly focusing on controlling HR during bike section

Event comments:

I only rated the event as a three as I feel the organizers could have done more to make the bike leg safer, both by giving competitors new to the NYC Tri more specific verbal guidance in the briefing as to passing / road position etiquette and perhaps also by considering a different way to phase the start waves so you didn't get large groups of fast cyclists trying to get past large groups of slow cyclists (but that's a tough call).
Overall though, it's in the second best city in the world (after my native London) so it is still a great place to race.

Last updated: 2008-10-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:40 | 1640 yards | 01m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 18/70
Overall: 669/3460
Performance: Average
Suit: Desoto Bibjohn with Speedvest
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 04:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:11:05 | 24.85 miles | 20.98 mile/hr
Age Group: 3/70
Overall: 154/3460
Avg HR 154
Wind: Some
Course: Out and back
Road: Rough Wet Cadence: 93
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:50:26 | 06.21 miles | 08m 07s  min/mile
Age Group: 7/70
Overall: 851/3460
Course:
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-07-27 10:04 PM

User image

Regular
New York City
Subject: Nautica New York City Triathlon

2009-07-28 5:55 AM
in reply to: #2311640

User image

Pro
Norwalk, Connecticut
Subject: RE: Nautica New York City Triathlon
that was a fantastic result and sounds like a great tuneup to Timberman. Congrats again on a great effort!!! I also felt it was sneaky hot.  A very well rounded race for you it looks like with great splits in each discipline!!!  Congrats again!!

2009-07-28 6:59 AM
in reply to: #2311839

User image

Regular
New York City
Rudedog55 - 2009-07-28 6:55 AM

that was a fantastic result and sounds like a great tuneup to Timberman. Congrats again on a great effort!!! I also felt it was sneaky hot.  A very well rounded race for you it looks like with great splits in each discipline!!!  Congrats again!!

Many thanks Rudy, had I known you were in the next wave to me I would have wandered over to find you before the start. Hopefully get to meet up at some point in the future.

Phil.
2009-07-28 7:38 AM
in reply to: #2311640

User image

Master
New York, NY
You're brave getting such little sleep the night prior   Great race this weekend!!  I agree with you on the current....I'd love to be this fast on all of my swims.  I'm also doing Timberman next month.
2009-07-28 8:29 AM
in reply to: #2311971

User image

Regular
New York City
KelliD - 2009-07-28 8:38 AM

You're brave getting such little sleep the night prior  

Brave, I think more like foolish in assuming that our friends would take the hint to leave when I put my cycling shoes on, pumped up my tyres and disappeared off for 45 minutes at about 8:15pm. Probably didn't make any difference as I would been lying awake anyway had I got to bed earlier.

Looking forward (albeit slightly nervously) to Timberman. Be great to try and meet up there - I did a hopeless job of meeting fellow BT'ers this weekend.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Nautica New York City Triathlon Rss Feed