General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Confidence Waning Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-28 10:35 AM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA
Subject: Bike Confidence Waning

A morning for a first.  I meant for it to be a morning for my first serious swim to bike brick.  It ended up being my first effort at changing a flat tire.  Coming down the first hill after my swim, I hit a pot hole and could immediately hear my front tire deflating.  No brick this morning. I did fix the flat and make it home.

I am afraid of the bike.  There; I said it.  When I get that thing hurtling at speeds of 30+ MPH, I get very nervous.  The flat today didn't help my confidence level.  I know I have to get over it.  Suck it up buttercup!

2009-07-28 10:49 AM
in reply to: #2312516

User image

Veteran
Longview
Subject: RE: Bike Confidence Waning
You can think about it like this:

I was going downhill (which scares me) and I flatted (which scares me) all at the same time.  So I have 2 bad experiences at the same time and learned that I have the control to handle them both.  You learned something and hopefully that will add confidence.  Just a thought.
2009-07-28 1:22 PM

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

KarmannGhia - 2009-07-28 8:35 AM

A morning for a first.  I meant for it to be a morning for my first serious swim to bike brick.  It ended up being my first effort at changing a flat tire.  Coming down the first hill after my swim, I hit a pot hole and could immediately hear my front tire deflating.  No brick this morning. I did fix the flat and make it home.

I am afraid of the bike.  There; I said it.  When I get that thing hurtling at speeds of 30+ MPH, I get very nervous.  The flat today didn't help my confidence level.  I know I have to get over it.  Suck it up buttercup!

If you're nervous at 30+, then don't go 30+ (for a while).  Use the brakes (moderately) on the downhills to stay at a speed you're comfortable with.  Push the envelope now and then, especially on the nice, straight parts, and try to gradually get more comfortable at higher speeds.

Good job on handling & fixing the flat!

2009-07-28 1:27 PM
in reply to: #2313065

User image

tjh - 2009-07-28 11:22 AM

KarmannGhia - 2009-07-28 8:35 AM

If you're nervous at 30+, then don't go 30+ (for a while).  Use the brakes (moderately) on the downhills to stay at a speed you're comfortable with.  Push the envelope now and then, especially on the nice, straight parts, and try to gradually get more comfortable at higher speeds.

Good job on handling & fixing the flat!

X2, no one says you have to go fast downhill.  You aren't a pro getting paid for this, and you'd like to go home to your family after the ride.  Ride at whatever speed makes you comfortable, and if you never get faster downhill, so what?   You should be enjoying this, not be scared of it

Just my .02
2009-07-28 2:21 PM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA

Thanks for the positive feedback.  It really helps.  I had a very good swim beforehand.  I changed a tire on the fly.  Correctly even.  Focus on the positive.

2009-07-28 2:29 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Eh, I'm all about riding my brakes on the down hills.

I don't feel secure going fast on those tiny tires.

My fastest has been 39 mph... and I saw that and I lightly fluttered the brakes. That was my limit.

2009-07-28 4:47 PM

User image

Regular
Richmond
I completely relate I have only been riding for 6 weeks and I have not hit thirty yet. I am still waiting to feel "one with the bike"  I hope it is like skiing, I used to be scared of speed on my skis, now I look for the steeps. 
2009-07-28 10:14 PM
in reply to: #2313268

User image

Master
KSH - 2009-07-28 2:29 PM Eh, I'm all about riding my brakes on the down hills. I don't feel secure going fast on those tiny tires. My fastest has been 39 mph... and I saw that and I lightly fluttered the brakes. That was my limit.

Fastest I have been has been 39 also - on dirt, with big knobbies.  I'd rather cement and skinny tires.
2009-07-28 10:25 PM

Atlanta

Riding and racing have so many important factors. Speed is a byproduct and is achieved safely and with control when all other factors are in place. You will get there when your ready and maybe that will or wont come but you will know.

Going fast with no control is just wreckless, your on the right track and erroring to the side of caution is nothing to be ashamed of!!

Id rather ride with someone who is safe then someone fast and out of control...

2009-07-29 2:03 AM

What kind of bike?  How long have you been riding it? 

My old bike was way to jittery at speed,  new bike is confidence inspiring, it will probably get me in trouble.
2009-07-29 2:24 AM

Veteran
Boston
The best way to overcome fear is to look it in the face.

Assuming you know the reason, or the probable reason, for things happening (like a flat tire), at least you know what to look out for. I mean, if you are afraid of getting a flat tire, just practice changing your tire at home when you have free time.

I know this isn't the same, but one night I was pumping up my tires for the next day's ride. While I was doing this, one of my tubes popped. If this has ever happened to you, you know that the sound can be deafening, and can really freak you out. I was really nervous about changing the tire again because I was afraid it was going to do it again, and I cringed on every push of the pump. Even a few weeks after that happened, I was still cringing a bit - but I soon got over it.

My point is, the more you override the memory of your bad experience, the easier it is to get over your fear.

As for riding fast though, that might be something that you need to get used to gradually.

2009-07-29 3:15 AM

Expert
Use your brakes if you are scared of going too fast. I usually do this when the roads are wet, I mean what use is an extra couple of km/miles faster if you are in the ditch or all over the road when you crash. If you don't enjoy screaming down hills, don't do it.
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bike Confidence Waning Rss Feed