Piranha Sports
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 22m 3s
Overall Rank = 79/280
Age Group = M35-39
Age Group Rank = 6/17
Pre-race routine:

Got up about 4:15 had some toast and PB and some Energen-C, reviewed gear and drove downtown...only 10min away so very easy and relaxing with my music blasting to pump me up
Event warmup:

stretched, little meditating ... nothing too crazy
Swim
  • 12m 38s
  • 656 yards
  • 01m 56s / 100 yards
Comments:

This was where I was nervous throughout the training ... got in with about 3-4min to go and actually warmed up but drifted and had to scramble to get back to the start. There certainly was a current. Actually surprised myself and got into an easy rhythm early... a bunch of stops because of running into people..lots of congestion at the first buoy. The exit ramp was horrible and i scraped my foot and cut it...
What would you do differently?:

I think it's just a "you have to experience to know what to expect" ... definitely would continue to work on my swim training to get faster and more efficient
Transition 1
  • 02m 45s
Comments:

Struggled with wetsuit zipper (got snagged) and had to wiggle while jogging to transition area ... got off no problem and into bike gear

would have jogged harder out of water and hustled more .. i was surprised at how well i did at the biggest worry i had that i didn't hustle enough ... had to learn it all the first time though and now i know better next time
Bike
  • 38m 11s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 19.53 mile/hr
Comments:

Felt strong in the bike and pleased with my performance. I trained on a Mt. Bike with Road Tires but borrowed a road bike for the race...def the way to go, it was night and day. I'd still train with a mt. bike going forward because it made me stronger on the climb
Transition 2
  • 01m 28s
Comments:

they were a little lax in telling each group where to go, so that was confusing...but i was in it now and hustled much more to the run transition... jogging with bike, throwing off helmet... slipped into shoes and took a swig of gatorade

wouldn't take the 15secs to pose for a friend taking photos...
Run
  • 27m 3s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 42s  min/mile
Comments:

not marked very well ... would have preferred to have better distance markings....

made sure i started my stopwatch at the swim and not forgotten that... had i known at this point where i was in my time i would have pushed hared to beat the 80min mark...my goal was to break 90min... and i was way ahead at this point... but I think i just eased the run... i'm capable of running a 5k in 25or 24min and i think i would have pushed more... i learned that lesson now
Post race
Warm down:

water, walked around, little stretch

What limited your ability to perform faster:

surprising myself how well i did and how much the training made it go so much easier. I live and train in Highland Park so all my bike and running involves hills.... the course was far less.... so now i know my capabilities and know i'm capable of doing better...

i under-estimated myself going into it and won't do that again... i finished just over 2min out of 3rd in my class and I know i could have done better

Event comments:

I think the volunteers were great... but they could have used more markings on the routes and distance markings.... post-race was disappointing...def should take tips from the Great Race folks as a starter....but, i'm looking forward to next year....

Last updated: 2009-07-28 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:12:38 | 656 yards | 01m 56s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/17
Overall: 146/280
Performance: Average
Suit: Wore a sleeveless/thigh wetsuit which helped
Course: Downstream in light/moderate current...
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Bad
T1
Time: 02:45
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Below average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:38:11 | 12.43 miles | 19.53 mile/hr
Overall: 58/280
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Course was very good ... there was a steady climb but it had breaks going out where you could kick into gear and grind away and make time. The turnaround was trickier and longer than i expected and an initial climb out of the turnaround...but after that it was lock-in and grind as hard as you cold. Rain hit with high-wind on the way back made it a bit tricky but not bad
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:28
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:03 | 03.11 miles | 08m 42s  min/mile
Overall: 108/280
Performance: Average
Course: Very easy course....hate the concrete though....
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Bad
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-07-28 3:45 PM

User image

Subject: Pittsburgh Triathlon

2009-07-28 3:54 PM
in reply to: #2313487

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: Pittsburgh Triathlon
Congrats! You did an excellent job!  I agree about the mountain bike - I use mine quite a bit for training, then fine tune things, and work on top-end speed with the tri-bike.

Very funny about the picture!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pittsburgh Triathlon Rss Feed