General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM - to race or not to race... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-28 4:21 PM

Ambler, PA
Subject: HIM - to race or not to race...
That is the quesiton...

I am reasonably new to Tri. I just did my third event which was the Olympic in NJ. I loved it. I am officially hooked. Especially now that I know I can OWS. I have been training for about half the year only seriously for his even for the past 16-20 weeks. I did okay in the event despite some GI issues which caused me to walk/run the run part, which I was kind of pissed about. But what I learned about this sport is you never know it all. At least for me, I learn something every time. Well I finished the event and have that nagging itch of “what’s next”? I found a half-iron in NJ on 10-4-09. I am wondering if I should attempt to push myself to do that one, even though technically it only give me about 10 more weeks of training. Or should I spend my time training for the Philly Marathon (which I have never done before – in Nov). I thought if I one day had the hope of doing a Full Ironman, it would help if I’ve actually done a Marathon. I’m just curious if anyone thinks I’m nuts to try the Half this soon. If so I can concentrate on the marathon which can only help me for next year. But of course I have the itch. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.

2009-07-28 4:37 PM
in reply to: #2313569

User image

Subject: RE: HIM - to race or not to race...
My vote is no.   Going from sprint to Oly is not really that big a deal, but going to Oly to HIM is an exponentially bigger deal (IMO only).  If you found that you walked part of the 6.2 run leg at an Oly, I think you'd be hard pressed to perform well at a HIM with more than double the run in 10 weeks.

Could you finish?  Probably, and if that's your goal then go for it. 

Just my opinion (I also don't think a marathon is necessary for an IM, but my run was super slow so probably not the best to opine on that )
2009-07-28 6:17 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA
Need more info about your training to date.  Can you step into a HIM plan with 10 weeks to go with reasonable comfort?  Have you ridden 40 or 50 miles before?  Have you run 10 miles?  My first year I DNF'd the Philly oly and then did a HIM about 10 weeks later.  But I had it in the back of my mind that I might try it before then and was already setting up my training so that I could launch right into the HIM distance.  So, it can be done but it is a big step. 

FWIW, I think a marathon is a bigger step but it's a bit "simpler" to train for (just 1 sport).  A marathon won't help much for an IM except in providing you some mental comfort that you can cover the distance.  The IM marathon bears little resemblance to an open marathon for most.
2009-07-31 10:44 AM

New user

In my opinion, it is a big step up to a HIM from an Oly.  I trained all year for my first HIM 2 weeks ago.  I did a oly three weeks before my HIM.  While challenging, the oly felt like a extended brick.  The HIM pushed me to my limits.  Physically, your body just feels different when it has been pushed for the HIM distance.  The last hour of the run was mentally one of the toughest things I have done.  My advice is to respect the distance and train for it.  If you feel confortable with 10 weeks, great but I would not skimp. 
2009-07-31 11:06 AM

User image

Elite
In The Peleton
Maybe.  You should log your workouts--it lets us give more informed feedback! 
2009-07-31 12:25 PM
in reply to: #2319570

User image

Pro
Burbs
PeterAK - 2009-07-31 12:06 PM Maybe.  You should log your workouts--it lets us give more informed feedback! 

x2. it's next to impossible to say go-for-it or probably-not-a-good-idea-yet without seeing what you have been doing !

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » HIM - to race or not to race... Rss Feed