Precipitation
Total Time = 1h 26m 5s
Overall Rank = 133/276
Age Group = Athena
Age Group Rank = 1/9
Pre-race routine:

Egg and toast, water, and coffee.
Event warmup:

Just some stretching. It was my first and I was afraid to leave the starting area. There was a major bottleneck getting into the parking lot. Many people were late. My mom had to park a stranger's car so that he could get to the transition area on time.
Swim
  • 09m 7s
  • 600 meters
  • / 100 meters
Comments:

There was a total lack of lifeguards at the starting point, plus a tough current. I was about to get in for my heat, when I had to sprint out and save someone from the prior heat that was cramping up. My friend and I hauled him upstream about 25 meters, before swimming out to start the race. I was huffing, but I think the adrenaline from the save may have propelled me, perhaps to my detriment at the end of the race. I still came out of the water first. I had a hard time sighting where to go since I was ahead of everyone else in my heat.
What would you do differently?:

Take a closer look at where to swim/exit.
Transition 1
  • 01m 57s
Comments:

I was first into the transition area, but fifth person out. I should work on that.

Be quicker and better organized.
Bike
  • 42m 2s
  • 20 kms
  • 28.55 km/hr

Learn more about changing my gears into the faster gears. Practice racing and drinking water.
Transition 2
  • 01m 59s
Comments:

I stunk at this part. I was having some asthma issues and really slowed down. I couldn't find my inhaler. I need to have that ready to go.

Have my inhaler handy.
Run
  • 31m 32s
  • 5 kms
  • 06m 19s  min/km
Comments:

I got annihilated. I went into the run in sixth place overall and came out 33 out of the women. I had some major asthma and breathing issues.

I have to practice my speed, lose weight, and get my asthma under control
Post race
Warm down:

I just walked a little bit. Saw my mom and brother at the finish line and balled, which caused my asthma to go into full attack mode. Womp womp.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My weight and my asthma.

Event comments:

I wish they would make this race better, because it has a ton of potential. They need more volunteers and lifeguards. I think the food could be better and, for the sign up price, I think the tee shirts should be nicer. Also, they should get some more coverage on tv and the newspapers. I would love to be part of making this a better event. The organizers were REALLY nice though; there is just room for improvement.

Last updated: 2009-01-14 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:09:07 | 600 meters | / 100meters
Age Group: 30/9
Overall: 133/276
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus:
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:57
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:42:02 | 20 kms | 28.55 km/hr
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/276
Performance: Good
Again, did not research the course enough. Was not expecting a six mile climb. Woops. It was a tough climb, but a nice glide into the city. I could have done without the rain stinging my face like pellets. I also need to learn how to shift into the faster gears on my road bike. Up until this point I have stayed on the smaller sprocket. I don't know what I am doing.
Wind: Some
Course: I ran over a rusty nail at about mile four. I shouted an expletive and luckily did not get a flat. There were some men that I passed that were not staying to the right which I found annoying. I also was so geeked I was afraid to reach down for my water. Need to practice that too.
Road: Potholes Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Bad Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:59
Overall: Below average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Below average
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Below average
Running
00:31:32 | 05 kms | 06m 19s  min/km
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/276
Performance: Bad
Course: It was a flat easy course.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Not enough
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-07-28 8:48 PM

Subject: Pittsburgh Triathlon

2009-07-29 7:34 AM
in reply to: #2314065

User image

Expert
Pittsburgh
Subject: RE: Pittsburgh Triathlon

Awesome race!  You should be proud of that time - especially since it looks like you can still improve with more experience!  Congratulations!

I heard about a couple women helping the swimmer out of the water in the Pgh Tri thread.  That's fantastic on your part, and you should by commended for that! Smile

I agree with all your comments about the organization, really a shame.  Piranha runs a lot of races each year, and they should know better.

I showed my wife the t-shirt and complained about it also!  It's the same boring one as last year with a different sponsor on the front, and double the sponsors on the back.... Undecided

2009-07-29 10:26 AM
in reply to: #2314464

Subject: RE: Pittsburgh Triathlon
Thanks so much.  I really feel so accomplished in a way that, after swimming in college, I was not sure I would ever feel again.  I totally have been bit by the tri bug and can't wait for my next race.  I am doing the Nation's Tri in DC, which I am quite nervous about.  I am really going to try to get the running together this month.  I really appreciate the positive feedback!  It will be interesting if they do another tri in Pittsburgh this year, as they indicated they were considering it.  I would certainly be part!

Marie
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Pittsburgh Triathlon Rss Feed