General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Have I lost my mind to consider a HIM? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 81

2009-07-29 4:22 PM

User image

Regular
Cambridge, MA
Subject: Have I lost my mind to consider a HIM?
I just completed my first (sprint) triathlon on Sunday. I took a couple days off (I did walk 3 miles yesterday, but didn't do any of the sport activities) and now am looking at what the future shall hold. I've never been into athleticism...which is partially how I got to be the size I was...but in training for my race...and in racing it, I found a part of myself that I never knew could exist. So, I started looking for my next race. There's another sprint in October I am considering, but I also have a strong desire to increase the distance. A buddy of mine told me about a HIM at the end of March and thinks I can do it. This is like my ultimate goal. But, I'm still a big girl...and I was challenged by just the sprint size.

Since most of the people reading this have struggled with their weight (or possibly still are struggling), can you give me your thoughts on this? If I'm going to do it, I'll need to register soon because he said it fills up pretty fast. Have I lost my mind to consider this?

2009-07-29 4:25 PM
in reply to: #2315925

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Subject: RE: Have I lost my mind to consider a HIM?
Well, without you logging any training in your logs... and no races to look at, it's hard to examine where you are now and where you need to be by next March. What is your history? What is your longest run? How is your cycling overall? Are you injury prone? Do you know what the training looks like for HIM and can you do it?

Honestly, my gut says that if you are willing to put in the training you have plenty of time to train for it. Your size doesn't matter. Triathletes come in all sizes.

If you have the motivation and heart to get out there and train, I bet you can pull it off.

Trust me, everyone doubts themselves on signing up for a new distance... no matter what their size is.

Good luck!

Edited by KSH 2009-07-29 4:27 PM
2009-07-29 4:34 PM

User image

Regular
Cambridge, MA
I completed my sprint tri (1/4 mile swim, 9 mile ride, 3 mile run) in 1:55.40...not too fast, but not last place either lol. The longest I've run is only a couple of miles. I have the time to train...but it still seems kind of close.
2009-07-29 4:56 PM
in reply to: #2315949

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
misfitc - 2009-07-29 4:34 PM

I completed my sprint tri (1/4 mile swim, 9 mile ride, 3 mile run) in 1:55.40...not too fast, but not last place either lol. The longest I've run is only a couple of miles. I have the time to train...but it still seems kind of close.

Well you would be better served training wise to probably wait till the end of 2010... but you could pull it off in March if you wanted to. Just be prepared to suffer a bit on the run. Ok, you might suffer a lot on the run... which will probably be a walk.

If you are cool with that... and you think you can accomplish each discipline in the cut off times... then you might as well sign up.

With all that said... it has taken me a good 5 years to become good at this stuff. Endurance sports take TIME to get better.

2009-07-29 5:08 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
South Jordan UT
Size really has nothing to do with it. Can you and will you stick to a training plan that could have you ready for a HIM by March? Answer that and you have the answer to your question.

I am a big girl as well and I am currently training for my second IM. It's not your size. I will admit that the training and performance might be better being smaller, but if you are determined . . . and get a really good plan. . . and committ 100% to it. . . a HIM just might springboard that "non athletic body" into an athletic one that is begging to play.
2009-07-29 10:29 PM

User image

Expert
San Gabriel Valley, California
misfitc - 2009-07-29 2:22 PM I just completed my first (sprint) triathlon on Sunday. I took a couple days off (I did walk 3 miles yesterday, but didn't do any of the sport activities) and now am looking at what the future shall hold. I've never been into athleticism...which is partially how I got to be the size I was...but in training for my race...and in racing it, I found a part of myself that I never knew could exist. So, I started looking for my next race. There's another sprint in October I am considering, but I also have a strong desire to increase the distance. A buddy of mine told me about a HIM at the end of March and thinks I can do it. This is like my ultimate goal. But, I'm still a big girl...and I was challenged by just the sprint size.

Since most of the people reading this have struggled with their weight (or possibly still are struggling), can you give me your thoughts on this? If I'm going to do it, I'll need to register soon because he said it fills up pretty fast. Have I lost my mind to consider this?

What HIM are you considering that is at the end of March?  If it is California 70.3, I can tell you that I did it once (in 2003)  and it almost killed me.  It was a very difficult bike.  That being said, I have signed up for it again to do in 2010 and hope that it works out better this time.  But I am very focused on improving my ability to bike up a whole lot of hills.  I have never been thin (but I do hope to be by March 2010) and think that size is less important than strength and the ability to bike up hill.  Good luck.

2009-07-29 10:58 PM

User image

Expert
Gilbert

I'm doing the California 70.3 the end of March.  It will be my first Half Ironman and I am scared to death.  I figure we have 34.5 weeks until the race.  I have a training plan worked out and I know I am going to have to work my butt off to make the cut off times!  I'm a BIG girl but I'm totally motivated.  Let's do it!! 

2009-07-29 11:28 PM

User image

Master
Chicago
I don't know... as I'm still doing Olys, but I'm also at least 60 pounds over weight and I plan on training for either a half or full next summer. Not as close as March though mine would be Aug/Sept. I don't plan to be 60+ by the time I get there though.

So if you have lost your mind... you're not the only one.

Edited by IdealMuse 2009-07-29 11:29 PM
2009-07-30 4:43 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland

I am planning to hopefully "survive" my first HIM in 9 days and over the last 14 weeks I have thought more than once that I am completely insane and mentally I am still not 100% there yet if I can do it.

You will probably never know and never be sure until you cross that finish line.

This is my 4th season of Triathlon and in total I have done about 15 TRIs so far. I could have never imagined in my first season to go as long as a HIM. It was just not for me and I wanted to improve at the shorter distances first. I was also scared of hell of a 56miles bike ride although the bike is my strong sport.

Not knowing your back-ground or how much you trained the last weeks and also how much overweight you are (that was a big factor for me by increasing my run distance as I had to do it progresively slower than thinner people to avoid injury) its hard to give advise.

But what I can tell you is that during the last 15 weeks when I followed a HIM training plan I had almost no time for anything else than work, train, eat and sleep.... It is not easy and you need to be sure to be prepared to spend the time it takes.

I was ready and it was mostly fun and I also did the unthinkable and lost 20lbs while training for it.

You can probably finish a HIM in March but will it be fun? You might be more comfortable doing something shorter, maybe planning a Olympic distance in spring and then a HIM in autumn next year. Also as other said, check cut-off times for the HIM you are considering.

2009-07-30 6:08 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
misfitc - 2009-07-29 5:22 PM

I just completed my first (sprint) triathlon on Sunday. I took a couple days off (I did walk 3 miles yesterday, but didn't do any of the sport activities) and now am looking at what the future shall hold. I've never been into athleticism...which is partially how I got to be the size I was...but in training for my race...and in racing it, I found a part of myself that I never knew could exist. So, I started looking for my next race. There's another sprint in October I am considering, but I also have a strong desire to increase the distance. A buddy of mine told me about a HIM at the end of March and thinks I can do it. This is like my ultimate goal. But, I'm still a big girl...and I was challenged by just the sprint size.

Well.... If you're prepared to begin building your training volume SLOWLY (to avoid injury) now, then you could probably be ready to complete an HIM next March, but I'm not sure I would recommend it. I've now done 2 HIM's (one in 2008, one this summer). Training for the first was difficult for me - building to that kind of training volume is, IMO, best done slowly over time. Training for the second this year was less difficult, because I had adapted to the higher training load. I think you might be better off for the next year focusing on shorter distances - a few longer sprints and some Olympic distance races, and gradually building your training load with an eye toward doing the HIM in 2011. Perhaps you could target something like a stand-alone half-marathon or a long bike tour (a full century or metric century) as a stepping stone to training for longer distance triathlons.

That said, though.... if you really have your heart set on an HIM in 2010, you absolutely could train and finish the race. It's all about finding a plan you can follow, and sticking with the training. You need to decide if you are willing, and have the time, to commit to up to 10 - 12 hours/week of training during your peak to get ready for the race.

If you really want to do it, I would suggest you begin looking around at Half-Ironman training plans right now. Pick one you think you might be able to follow, and figure out where you need to be in terms of your training volume when the plan begins, and start building toward that level of training right now. Most training plans are in the 16 - 20 week range, so for a late March race, you would begin "official" HIM training in late October or November - which would give you 3 months to build up to where you need to be to start an HIM training plan. As an example, looking at the BT beginner HIM training plan, it looks like for week 1, the longest run is 60 minutes, longest bike is 90 minutes, and longest swim is 1200 yards/meters. You could probably begin following a beginner olympic distance training plan right now and build to where you would need to be to start the HIM training plan in a couple of months.

I'm so glad you had such a great experience with your first race! Good luck, whatever you decide to do!
2009-07-30 6:25 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
P.S.... One other thing to consider..... If weight loss is a primary goal (which I assume it is since you posted your question on the Weightloss board) - you may well find that restricting calories while training for an HIM can be difficult. I know I did. Fueling is very important when you're putting in that kind of training, and you might find yourself being hungry A LOT! It's easy to rationalize that it's okay to eat a little more (or a lot more...) since you're training so much. A lot of people actually put on weight when they're training for HIM or IM.... So if you're trying to loose weight at the same time, be prepared to carefully watch what you're eating. You have to be sure you're eating enough to keep yourself fueled, but not allowing yourself to go overboard. It can be tricky, but it cetainly can be done!

2009-07-30 7:39 AM
in reply to: #2316596

User image

Extreme Veteran
Iceland

jsnowash - 2009-07-30 11:25 AM P.S.... One other thing to consider..... If weight loss is a primary goal (which I assume it is since you posted your question on the Weightloss board) - you may well find that restricting calories while training for an HIM can be difficult. I know I did. Fueling is very important when you're putting in that kind of training, and you might find yourself being hungry A LOT! It's easy to rationalize that it's okay to eat a little more (or a lot more...) since you're training so much. A lot of people actually put on weight when they're training for HIM or IM.... So if you're trying to loose weight at the same time, be prepared to carefully watch what you're eating. You have to be sure you're eating enough to keep yourself fueled, but not allowing yourself to go overboard. It can be tricky, but it cetainly can be done!

I completely agree with that, thats why I wrote above I did the "unthinkable" when loosing weight while training because most people don´t. But that part was NEVER easy and I had lots of fights with myself during the first weeks because I was hungry a lot. The last 3 weeks I could have much more food because it was my 3 biggest weeks (up to 16 hours) and I was very thankful for that!

For me weight-loss was the primary goal and if it would not have worked with the training I would have switched to something else because loosing weight is more important to me right now that completing an HIM!

Edited by Joblin 2009-07-30 7:40 AM
2009-07-30 11:05 AM

User image

Expert
I wanted to confirm what others have said.  My (one and only so far) HIM taught me that there is an enormous difference between an oly and a HIM.  At that time I thought I was in pretty decent shape, but I was humbled by the experience.  But yes, there is a good amount of time to go before the race, but I would strongly recommend doing a couple oly distance races along the way because there is a big difference between a sprint and an oly, and a gigantic difference between a sprint and a HIM.  I am not trying to discourage you, but just to take the distance seriously.  I can "wing" an oly (might take me over four hours, but I could do it), but there is no way, IMO, to do a HIM on less than proper training.

Since there seem to be several people here who are planning on doing California 70.3, and we all seem to be in more or less the same physical condition - female, not a hardened, over-trained athlete, and with varying amounts of pounds that we are actively trying to lose - maybe we ought to have a thread just for us.  Maybe the Nutso California 70.3 thread.  Just a thought.

2009-07-30 2:27 PM

User image

Champion
i think if you start training soon, and go about it ina SMART manner, you will be fine.
You need to stick with the training, make sure you are eating right, and build up slowly, but there is no reason you can not do the race by then.

signing up early can also be a great motivator to get training!

find a good training plan, or possibly a coach, and start focusing in getting to where you need to be. if you want to see the changes, it should start now, not 2 months out.
2009-07-30 2:50 PM
in reply to: #2316596

User image

Extreme Veteran
jsnowash - 2009-07-30 7:25 AM

P.S.... One other thing to consider..... If weight loss is a primary goal (which I assume it is since you posted your question on the Weightloss board) - you may well find that restricting calories while training for an HIM can be difficult. I know I did. Fueling is very important when you're putting in that kind of training, and you might find yourself being hungry A LOT! It's easy to rationalize that it's okay to eat a little more (or a lot more...) since you're training so much. A lot of people actually put on weight when they're training for HIM or IM.... So if you're trying to loose weight at the same time, be prepared to carefully watch what you're eating. You have to be sure you're eating enough to keep yourself fueled, but not allowing yourself to go overboard. It can be tricky, but it cetainly can be done!

I second the above statement. I found it EXTREMELY difficult to cut weight while training for my first HIM (which is Aug 1st.). I will admit that I havent been putting lots of hours a week into training, but I've been very consistent. Could I have put in more time? Absolutely.. For me right now its a mental thing. I know I can run a Half Marathon, because Ive done it a couple times. I know I can complete a Century, I know I can swim a mile plus. I've put a few of the disciplines together and survived.

I will complete my first HIM the day after tomorrow, even if I have to slow a bit to conserve energy. I might need to walk a bit of the run, but I will complete it, and be very proud of my acheivement.

Shortly after the race I will cut back the training and focus solely on cutting some more weight. I know I cant cut weight while training, and need to give my body some time to recover.

Like the others, if you have time to put towards your goal then go for it. I would try and do some more tri's before then, including an olympic distance tri. My nutrition took a huge hit going from sprints to an olympic distance.

Have fun..

Curt
2009-07-31 12:33 AM

User image

Expert
Gilbert
Leah - I'm up for the nutso HIM thread.  I'm nervous and could use some buddies!  Misfitc - Are you in?

2009-08-01 9:46 AM
in reply to: #2318759

User image

Expert
~ AZ Sunshine ~ - 2009-07-30 10:33 PM Leah - I'm up for the nutso HIM thread.  I'm nervous and could use some buddies!  Misfitc - Are you in?

Sure.  I have also signed up for a HIM on October 10 (along with an oly sx days before that) just in case I needed to explain my qualifications for "nutso."  The bike in my October HIM is also very hilly, but with much longer stretches of hills than in the California 70.3 and thus harder.  I genuinely don't know if I will be able to do it, but I am working on it.  I figure that even if I don't get all the way there in October, other than wasting $180, which will be painful, I will have a really good start on training for California.  

BUT, I have promised myself that I finish the HIM in October within the cutoff times, I will train for an Ironman in 2010 and I want to do Ironman France in Nice.  For that to happen, the nice man in my life needs to go along, but I think he will if it really looks like I would be able to do it.  So for me, California 70.3, which I have already signed up for because it sells out relatively early, will be a training race for my IM.  Either that, or I have an exceptionally rich fantasy life, which is what my man thinks. 

I know I can do the swim and the run in a HIM within the cut-off times (albeit barely).  It all comes down to the bike.

What about you?  What are you training for and what are your concerns?  Do you follow a specific training plan?  I don't.  I just can't work something that rigid into my schedule, although if I do actively start training for an IM, I might have to.  We will see.  I also do Crossfit because I think at my stage in life (53 yo), the strength training will help me with everything (tri training, osteoporosis prevention, etc.).  I swim two days a week and just get in the running and biking as much as I can work it in. 

Speaking of which, I need to shut down the computer and get on my bike and work on hills.   

Should we start a new thread or just stick with this one?

2009-08-02 11:05 PM

User image

Expert
Gilbert
I have a HIM buddy!  Hooray!  I'm excited to train with you.  Thanks for your background info.  I am totally supportive of your goals.  Nice France sounds like an amazing!  I think you will make it!  You know what to expect on the course and you are putting in the time.  LET'S GO FOR IT!! 

I am signed up already as well.  This was a huge thing for me b/c I signed up without doing an OLY first.  I hope to get two in and several sprints before the race.  My big goal is to finish and also make the cut offs.  We are on the same page there, but I would like to get a couple more seasons under my belt before I try an full Ironman.  

Since I'm very new to this I feel weak at everything.  If I had to pick a strongest I would say the run b/c I've done about 5 half marathons and one full marathon.  My weakest is definitely the swim.  I'm horrible at it but I swam my first 1000 meters the other day in practice.  I'm scared to death of the swim.  (I've taken about 4 months of lessons so I have made huge improvements)

I have examined several training plans but I haven't committed to a specific one.  I'm trying to get in 3 swims, 2 runs, and 2 bikes a week.   I try to have 1 long day of each sport.  Because of my crazy life I have a hard time getting them all in.  My next race is the end of September so I really want to ramp it up.  I will have a 750 m open water swim and that will be tough on me.     My other challenge is that I am carrying too much extra weight.  I'm trying to track my calorie intake on fitday and it is helping.  I'm hoping to be down at least another 10 pounds by the race. 

New thread? 
2009-08-03 12:31 AM

User image

Regular
Cambridge, MA
I'm in for the California 70.3 (as long as I can get my $$ together before time runs out)...and def down for a thread just for that!
2009-08-03 10:27 PM
in reply to: #2323251

User image

Expert
Shall we keep the new thread here or put it in the California section?  If our focus is on weight loss while training for the California 70.3, then it belongs here.  If it is just on training for the race, then perhaps in California would be best.  What do you think? 
2009-08-03 10:50 PM

User image

Expert
Gilbert
I vote for staying in the Weightloss section.  I'm excited get going!  I looked at your logs and I have a lot of work to do to keep up with you!

2009-08-04 6:34 AM

User image

Pro
Wallingford, PA
Just FYI... an "official" California 70.3 thread exists here in the Iron Distance Race Group forum. That thread will be a good place to connect with other BTers doing the race, ask questions about the course, etc. I agree y'all should keep a thread here focusing on weight loss while training for the race, but that one is a good resource for you too. Good luck to all of you with your training!!!
2009-08-04 10:47 AM
in reply to: #2326041

User image

Expert
jsnowash - 2009-08-04 4:34 AM Just FYI... an "official" California 70.3 thread exists here in the Iron Distance Race Group forum. That thread will be a good place to connect with other BTers doing the race, ask questions about the course, etc. I agree y'all should keep a thread here focusing on weight loss while training for the race, but that one is a good resource for you too. Good luck to all of you with your training!!!

That's a good reminder, but I think most of the people that post there are sensible and it makes sense for them to be doing the race.  We are the ones that are doing the race that are marginal.   All in good fun.  Plenty of time for us to get there.
2009-08-04 10:57 AM
in reply to: #2325779

User image

Expert
~ AZ Sunshine ~ - 2009-08-03 8:50 PM I vote for staying in the Weightloss section.  I'm excited get going!  I looked at your logs and I have a lot of work to do to keep up with you!

The real key is to post every workout.  Another thing that helps me is in the Challenge section, the "monthly peaches."  I don't actually post there any more, but the idea is that every day that you log a workout it changes the calendar from white to a peach color.  The goal is to have all peaches (or green for races).  I have been consistently peachy since mid-March and absent a total loss of consciousness, there is NO WAY that I am going to let my streak go.  So I do something, anything, every day. 

Good luck. 
2009-08-04 4:55 PM

User image

Expert
Portland, Oregon
I'm up for joining a weightloss - HIM board for next year. I'm 35 pounds down in a 50-70 total loss goal, and I want to do a HIM towards the end of next year. I have not decided which one - though California is a possibility - heard it's a beautiful course.

kiri
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Have I lost my mind to consider a HIM? Rss Feed  

of 81