General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bending back a bent rear derailleur hanger Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-29 7:33 PM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Subject: Bending back a bent rear derailleur hanger
Hey all, I have a question for you mechanics or anyone who has gone through this (I'm assuming it is common).I went down on the bike this weekend and went into a slide on the right side of my bike doing some damage to the shifters, handlebars, front derailleur, pedal and most of all (or so it appears to my novice eye), the rear derailleur and hanger.I've moved back the front derailleur and shifters and the handlebars/shifters/pedal all seems to be cosmetic mostly.Now, the rear derailleur hanger is a little bent and I found this article:http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=39I'm curious, how many of you have attempted this on your own and what is your experience level? Also, would a LBS be inclined to attempt this repair or not. I'm not sure if they would be a little risk averse and not want to risk breaking the hanger on you or not....What do you all think? I'm hoping this is not beyond repair...

2009-07-29 7:39 PM
in reply to: #2316197

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: RE: Bending back a bent rear derailleur hanger
Many hangers are replaceable mine is on my Kuota. I seem to bend mine a lot on my tri bike and not sure why. There is a special tool Park makes to fix it. My bike shop does it in about 5'.  I've considered investing in the tool as it would be helpful for me.

My cross bike's get bent but I fall lots more on that bike so no big surprise there.
2009-07-29 9:27 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
DO NOT attempt to do this on your own. You can't just grab a pair of vice-grips and latch on hoping it will come out right. I know this from experience.

Like the above post says, there is a special tool that measures from the WHEEL at different spots. It is not just one static measurement. Get to a bike shop.
2009-07-29 9:35 PM

User image

Champion
Eat Cheese or Die
acumenjay - 2009-07-29 7:33 PM

Hey all, I have a question for you mechanics or anyone who has gone through this (I'm assuming it is common).I went down on the bike this weekend and went into a slide on the right side of my bike doing some damage to the shifters, handlebars, front derailleur, pedal and most of all (or so it appears to my novice eye), the rear derailleur and hanger.I've moved back the front derailleur and shifters and the handlebars/shifters/pedal all seems to be cosmetic mostly.Now, the rear derailleur hanger is a little bent and I found this article:http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=39I'm curious, how many of you have attempted this on your own and what is your experience level? Also, would a LBS be inclined to attempt this repair or not. I'm not sure if they would be a little risk averse and not want to risk breaking the hanger on you or not....What do you all think? I'm hoping this is not beyond repair...

Take it to a shop. It depends on who badly it is bent as to whether or not the shop will be willing to fix it.

If it's a replaceable hanger, you can get it straightened, but know that once it has been bent, it will bend easier in the future. It's best just to replace it if it is replaceable. Buy two and keep one on hand because they are very easy to replace and the derailleur should not require any readjustment if it was adjusted correctly prior to bending the hanger.

2009-07-30 6:08 AM

User image

Champion
Alabama

It took me a long time to figure out why my derailer hanger kept getting bent.  In a palm-to-the-forehead moment, it finally occured to me that I was occasionally laying my bike down on its side on the drive train side!  If you ever lay your bike down, be it on the grass or in the bed of a pick-up truck, lay it on the non-drive train side!  This is one of those 'oh that's so obvious' things that I had to learn the hard way after bending my derailer hanger several time!

~Mike

2009-07-30 7:06 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
The Woodlands/Magnolia, TX.

mine bent in shipping.  the rear der was right up against the box and i guess UPS banged it around a bit and it got bent.  i tried bending it back myself, but got scared i'd break it after getting it about half way back in place.  i'll be at the bike shop this weekend geting it fixed.  bummer to get it bent before i even took my first ride!

2009-07-30 7:31 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Concord, NH
I own the Park tool to straighten bent hangers (two of my bikes do not have replaceable ones) and it is an easy fix after reading the instructions.  Replaceable hangers can be bent back into place it just depends on how easy or expensive you want the fix to be.  Putting on a new one is quicker, but more expensive, and just the opposite for straightening it.
2009-07-30 8:41 AM

User image

Master
Guilford, CT
Thanks all. I'm headed to the bike shop on Saturday. I need a little tune up and some new bar tape anyway after the accident...
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Bending back a bent rear derailleur hanger Rss Feed