New Braunfels, TX
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 57m 40s
Overall Rank = 63/486
Age Group = 35 to 39
Age Group Rank = 8/43
Pre-race routine:

First triathlon! The Rookie Triathlon in Texas: 300m, 11.1 miles, 2 miles.

Got up at about 5 am and got ready to go. That consisted mostly of putting my contacts in and getting my trisuit and a sweatshirt on. My preferred breakfast for the morning would have been a bagel and egg sandwich, but Einstein brothers wasn't open yet. I had to settle for a cinnamon roll from the gas station where I filled up. Not optimal.

Arrived at the race site at about 6:20. Transition opened at 6:15, so immediately racked my bike. Got the end spot about 3 rows from the bike exit. The pre-race meeting was at 8:15 and it amused me how many people showed up at 7:55 that then got offended when the early arrivers wouldn't park their bikes on top of each other to give the late comer room.
Event warmup:

I wanted to do a little bike warmup, but for some reason they wouldn't let you take your bike out of the transition area once you brought it in. I did some easy jogging and then stretched. About 15 minutes before the meeting was supposed to start, I pulled on my wetsuit and got in the water. Temp seemed perfect to me for a wetsuit swim. I did the whole 300m course since it was short.
Swim
  • 06m 2s
  • 300 meters
  • 02m 01s / 100 meters
Comments:

Lined up kind of on the inside at the front. The course layout was a bit odd so the people on the outside had a straighter shot. Being up front worked though. I had clear water ahead of me and all of the guys in my age group that were faster were already past me before we merged at the turnaround. Okay, scratch that. I had to figure it out manually, but I just realized I was FIRST in my age group for the swim. I know one guy was ahead of me at the buoy. In fact, he screwed the turn up and slowed me just a hair. He must have been the one that came out literally one second behind me. I can't let the AG position go to my head too much, though. I was one of only a handful of people that were wearing wetsuits. Still....
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. I'm a bit disappointed in the 2:01/100m pace. I really thought it would be faster than that. Then again, only 6 people were under 5 minutes. So maybe it was the course? I'll continue working on the speed.
Transition 1
  • 01m 48s
Comments:

Transition was okay for my first live one. I didn't really fumble anything and did everything pretty efficiently. I just did too much. Getting on the bike wasn't great. My cleats were a bit wet so they were slick and I wasted 7-10 seconds trying to get clipped in and going.

Didn't need to rinse off my feet, so that was a waste of time. Drying them was too, even though it was just a couple of seconds. I should have went sockless for this, that was another few seconds. A shorter T1 could have given me about 5 spots overall.
Bike
  • 34m 37s
  • 11.1 miles
  • 19.24 mile/hr
Comments:

Bike went pretty well. I was aero pretty much the whole time except a couple of turns and one hill were the wind was coming pretty strong from the right/rear. It was blowing faster than I was moving, so I sat up. Again, a bit disappointed in the speed. I was figuring I'd be on the other side of 20 mph for my average.

Nothing again. I think I rode it as well as I could. I didn't go to hard and blow up, but I felt like I gave a solid effort.
Transition 2
  • 01m 14s
Comments:

Took my feet out of my shoes a couple of hundred yards short of the dismount line. At about 30 yards, I swung my right leg over and coasted while standing on my left. I jumped off right at the line, so I doubt I could have done it better. Went straight to the rack and everything went smoothly. I can't see how the elites cut 20-30 seconds from what I did. I had to tie my shoes, but that's 5 seconds tops!

Can't think of anything.
Run
  • 13m 51s
  • 2 miles
  • 06m 56s  min/mile
Comments:

Was quite a bit slower on the run than the people I beat on the other 2 events. Even so, I was fast for me. I'll take sub-7 miles even if it was just for 2 of them.

Nothing. I finished strong and felt like I had nothing really left to give. I was hating life at about 1/2 mile, so I know I wasn't going too easy.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much of one. Walked and stretched a bit, got a couple of bottles of water.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

On the swim, I don't know. Technique, maybe? I think that's just a matter of time. On the bike, it's power. I've got a lousy power to weight ratio. I don't climb well because of it and flats are so-so. On the run, probably the same as the swim. I just need to do more speed drills.

Event comments:

Great first triathlon overall. The event was well run, though it started about 5 minutes late because they were waiting for confirmation that the bike course was ready. There were plenty of volunteers and they were very friendly. Can't wait until my next race.

Last updated: 2005-05-07 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:02 | 300 meters | 02m 01s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/43
Overall: 36/486
Performance: Average
Suit: Promotion sleeveless
Course: Out and back in a shallow man-made lake made for skiing.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 72F / 22C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Average
Breathing: Average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Below average
T1
Time: 01:48
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:34:37 | 11.1 miles | 19.24 mile/hr
Age Group: 7/43
Overall: 61/486
Wind: Strong
Course: 11.1 mile loop with a couple of rolling hills.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence: 95
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:14
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
00:13:51 | 02 miles | 06m 56s  min/mile
Age Group: 15/43
Overall: 132/486
Performance: Good
Course: Out and back with a pretty decent little false flat to the turn around and another little rise just before turning in for the last .1 or so.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-07 7:26 PM

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
Subject: The Rookie Triathlon

2005-05-07 7:45 PM
in reply to: #154214

Extreme Veteran
PohangSi
Subject: RE: The Rookie Triathlon
Great Job! Congrats!. And thanks for the nice race report.
2005-05-07 7:48 PM

Elite Veteran
Congrats! Sounds like you had a great race.

I'm not fancy or fast, but at T1, I generally just shuffle my feet on my towel to clean them off while putting on my helmet. From there it is shoes and go. If it works for you next time, great. If not, that is great too.

What a great time for your first tri. Good for you.
2005-05-07 8:10 PM

User image

Expert
Congratulations - sounds like you not only did well, but you had fun while doing it. That's two for the price of one. Hope mine goes as well. I was thinking I need to wear socks, but you inspired me to try and train a couple of weeks without them. Again-great job, you triathlete. Couldn't have happened to a nicer guy (although I've never met you in person-maybe one day).
2005-05-07 8:36 PM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan
Congrats on a great race. Blistering speed esp for your first tri. New Braunfels is a great place. I love SA. Take care nd Train hard -SMO
2005-05-07 8:56 PM

User image

Expert
Westchester County NY
Excellent job! 8th in your AG for a 1st race is pretty awesome.  That's the stud age group.  Sub 7 minute miles and it was only good for 15th in your age group menas you're running with some fast guys.

2005-05-07 9:14 PM

Extreme Veteran
Honolulu, HI
Congrats!! Sounds like a perfect way to get into racing! Well done.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » The Rookie Triathlon Rss Feed