Ironman North America
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 10h 16m
Overall Rank = 82/
Age Group = m40-44
Age Group Rank = 16/
Pre-race routine:

wake up at 3:15 with the help of 5 alarms (at 2min interval). Obviously since I was traveling with my mother, brother and a friend who had no idea of the morning madness. Just wanted to make we were on schedule. Ate 2 bagels with PB. Coffee, 1 bttle gatorade and half of Power bar, still pretty full from last night dinner. For some reason everyone was ready to leave at 4:20, stayed in wilmington so had a 30min drive. We had special parking place just near the special needs, so I could towards the Transition and drop both bags before getting to the Transition.
Event warmup:

Unfortunately, since my party was exhausted (already!), they stayed in the car to get some extra sleep. So when to TR, left extra bottle and checked tires, by the way I bump them at the lower end around 100, knowing how wet and bumpy the surface was. (that was good call, about the one that got right) Things were smooth, just couldn't find my party to give the pump and dry clothes. So an old racing friend from the 90's, left it in his car. Got to the beach as soon as the open it, waited couple minutes then got a 15min warm-up.
Swim
  • 57h 58m
  • 4224 yards
  • 1h 22m 20s / 100 yards
What would you do differently?:

nothing, maybe swim more.
Transition 1
  • 05m
Comments:

no problem as usual all this Ironman events are very well prepared(ok maybe the walk/run was a bit far from Tr but still what is 150yds in 140.6miles). 5 to take your wetsuit, 2 to hold your bag, 3 to find your bag. I might exaggerating but this is the easiest part of the event. If you stressing about the Tr you should not do this race, actually you not do any tris. Most tri you actually have to all yourself.
Bike
  • 5h 23m
  • 112 miles
  • 20.80 mile/hr

I think riding the whole course a few times would have help. The course is technical on the descent and it help know when to pace.
Transition 2
  • 04m
Comments:

easy again gave bike to volunteer, found my bag run into tent. took my time to account for everything that i needed, and then forced myself to pie.
Run
  • 3h 45m
  • 26.2 miles
  • 08m 35s  min/mile
Comments:

I went out of the bike feeling good not great but I looked at my hr and with the effort I was going in the 3mil averaging 7:30, it was good. Obviously we were mostly descending. At mile 8 mile, I started to feel tired and heavy on the quads, I knew I was in trouble. So I repeated in mind to just find a solution, slow down drink eat no negative thoughts. That's was bit hard. Kept at it, more of a jog now but still within my pace of 8min/mile. By mile 15, I was definitely spent and wasted, getting anxious as all the guys in my age group passing me one by one. Oh well, no panic just think about others who trying to finish the ironman or want do one but are injured or impaired. It was all about perspective at that point so I just push myself to finish strong, started running-or jogging up the hills into town. No walking allowed, I repeated. It hurt but I took it one mile at a time. And it worked, each mile I would drink and looked around most were struggling with it so there was no complaining. Finally I could hear the roar and the speaker from the finish line. Wow, my ten ironman finish what a relief! made it again... in one piece. I was so happy!

I wish I would have stop to hug my mother but I was too busy racing. (dumb!) saw my family and friends a number of time unfortunately at that time I wasn't feeling great.
Post race
Warm down:

lost 10lbs, got 3 beneficial Ivy. Thank god for all the volunteers and EMT, doctors at the the tent. Believe I wasn't the only one looking pale and wasted.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition. Got to figure out the correct per cal expenditure for my ironman HR pace.

Event comments:

Great race, love the course. Very challenging and beautiful. Great volunteers and the spectators were awesome never a boring moment. Again, I always remind to tri-geeks, It's all about the run.

Last updated: 2009-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
57:58:00 | 4224 yards | 1h 22m 20s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
hr was a bit high due the start around 160av.
Suit:
Course: Waited in place at the second row or so. People were getting anxious and they was some kicking already. One guy stated he was going to take easy going 52min. I thought hmm maybe I am not in the right place. But I knew from experience at the front would be to less kicking and chaos. And it was pretty smooth, just the first 200-300yds were rough. Otherwise, uneventful swim most people kept their distances and tried to draft as much as could. I can definitely say I saw some very fast swimmers out there, more than usual. Also for those dooing this race, I still believe that following the underwater cable is the way to go. I heard otherwise the days before, But I barely had to navigate. Always use anything that make it easier, that my model.
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:00
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:23:00 | 112 miles | 20.80 mile/hr
Performance: Good
150hr average
Wind: Some
Course: This is course definitely the hardest I have done including kona (with-out the wind). Personally the hardest part wasn't the stretch back into town (7mi over 1200ft) but the relentless bumps on the way out of town and the stretch before wilmington. That's takes out lot of patience out of me, just wanted to power through them. Very hard. Felt good a bit tired on the way back second loop.
Road: Rough Wet Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 04:00
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
03:45:00 | 26.2 miles | 08m 35s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
140hr av.
Course:
Keeping cool Average Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-30 5:12 PM

New user

boulder
Subject: Ironman USA Lake Placid

2009-07-30 6:22 PM
in reply to: #2318293

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-07-30 7:26 PM
in reply to: #2318378

New user

boulder
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid
Pennstate,

I read yours, It was very good. Lots of details, I guess we both felt apart on the second of the run. But we both gave our best shot. No regrets!

Family and friends are key for  type of race, I am glad you agree.

Manuel
2009-07-31 10:11 AM
in reply to: #2318293

Master
Millersville, MD
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid
Congrats on your 10th.  WOW!
2009-07-31 11:58 AM
in reply to: #2318433

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!