Ironman North America
75F / 24C
Precipitation
Total Time = 12h 26m 5s
Overall Rank = 730/2256
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 90/
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 3:30 am and ate two toasted peanut butter and honey sandwiches, a banana, and 3 fig newtons. Drank about 12 ounces of Gatorade and about 8 ounces of water. Ate a Latte Power gel about 30 minutes before the start with another 8 ounces of water.
Event warmup:

Didn't do any pre-race warm up except for a little stretching while wading into the water before the start.
Swim
  • 1h 18m 8s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 51s / 100 yards
Comments:

Like an idiot I swam up near the starting line after the pros went off because it seemed pretty open. I felt relaxed and ready to go until the gun went off and the washing machine started. It felt like I was having a mini panic attack and I was wondering if I would even be able to continue. I just kept doing the side stroke or breast stroke to try and keep moving all the while apologizing to the swimmers trying to swim past/over me. It seemed like it took about 200-300 meters before my heart rate settled down and I was able to swim my normal pace. I was really surprised when I came out of the water for my first loop and saw my time was 38 minutes. The second loop was much more relaxed and I pretty much swam freestyle the whole way. I was surprised to see that my second loop was slower than my first, but was happy to be done. I got my first experience with wetsuit strippers and it went well. I was off and running up to transition feeling pretty good.
What would you do differently?:

Do not start anywhere near the front of the pack.
Transition 1
  • 13m 5s
Comments:

Had to run quite a ways to get to the transition tent. Changed from my sleeveless tri shirt to my biking shirt which took a little while since I was still wet. Took the time to put vaseline on my toes before putting on my socks and shoes. Put on my Garmin and sunscreen before heading out to get my bike.

Swim in the same shirt as I will bike in.
Bike
  • 6h 27m 48s
  • 112 miles
  • 17.33 mile/hr
Comments:

I think I could have picked a less hilly bike course for my 1st IM especially since I am from flat Florida, but boy where the views spectacular! Fortunately, I have a triple on my bike and I was not too proud to use all my gears! I was actually passing a lot of people on the uphills, but tended to get passed more on the downhills. The descent into Keene was a white knuckles ride for me and I really felt it in my shoulders by the time I made the turn onto 9N. I couldn't believe how many times I had to pee while on the bike, but I didn't waste any time stopping to go and instead relieved myself while riding. Sprayed my shorts down with water for a quick rinse each time which made for some soggy shoes and socks. Overall, I liked the bike course, but the final ascent into town was tough by the time the second loop came around.

Had mixed up two 3x bottles of Infinit for the bike, but should have either mixed one for 4 hours or left one in my SN bag. I ran out of Infinit and had to drink Gatorade for the last 30 minutes.
Transition 2
  • 05m 57s
Comments:

Felt pretty good coming in off the bike. Changed out my shoes and socks, relieved myself in the transition trough and headed out for the run.

Remember to take my run nutrition with me when I leave transition.
Run
  • 4h 21m 7s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 09m 58s  min/mile
Comments:

About 3/4 mile into the run I realized that I had forgot to take the concentrated Infinit gel that I had made up in the Fuel Belt boittles with me. Had to change plans and live off the course on the run portion. Ran between every aid station and tried to alternate between GE, gels, and water, but started having GI issues near the end of the 1st loop. Had to stop at a porta-potty just after the turn around on Mirror Lake Drive. My stomach kept giving me issues during the 2nd loop and I had to stop 2 more times to sit in the porta-potty. Was able to at least keep running between the aid stations although at a slower pace. Tried to keep a good attitude and was able to pick up the pace once I got into the final oval. Was extremely glad to have it all over with.

Remove my sunglasses for my finish line picture.
Post race
Warm down:

Felt a little nauseous after the race and they were out of Gatorade. Did not feel like eating pizza so I tried to eat some pretzels and wash them down with water and coke. Went into the medical tent and weighed myself and found that I did not lose any weight so I probably drank too much on the bike and/or run.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Did not have my race nutrition dialed in perfectly which limited my running ability a little. Purposely held back on the bike although I may have been able to go a little faster had I had everything perfectly planned. I met my 13 hour goal so I am definitely happy with my performance on my 1st IM.

Event comments:

Upon taking my shower after the race I discovered that I had a wicked case of monkey butt from the pad in my Desoto 400 mile bike shorts. I was rubbed raw in several places and had to resort to some diaper rash cream for relief. Had run 20 miles in the Desoto shorts during training with no problems, but they won't work for me during an IM.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-05-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:18:08 | 4224 yards | 01m 51s / 100yards
Age Group: 173/
Overall: 1365/2256
Performance: Average
Suit: Quintana Roo Full
Course: 2 loops
Start type: Wade Plus: Shot
Water temp: 69F / 21C Current:
200M Perf. Bad Remainder: Average
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 13:05
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
06:27:48 | 112 miles | 17.33 mile/hr
Age Group: 144/
Overall: 1078/2256
Performance: Average
Avg HR: 137; Max HR: 192
Wind: Some
Course: 2 loop course with plenty of hills.
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 05:57
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Average
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
04:21:07 | 26.2 miles | 09m 58s  min/mile
Age Group: 90/
Overall: 730/2256
Performance: Below average
Avg HR: 128; Max HR: 152
Course: 2 out and back "loops".
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %0
Overall: Below average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-07-30 9:00 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Fleming Island, FL
Subject: Ironman USA Lake Placid

2009-07-31 10:20 AM
in reply to: #2318567

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Subject: RE: Ironman USA Lake Placid
Congrats on toughing it out even after you had to change your race/nutrition plans.  And thanks for the heads up on the 400 mile shorts.  I've often considered them for the full IM.  Probably best to take a second and change.

You are an Ironman (with cool sunglasses to boot)!
2009-07-31 11:34 AM

User image

Champion
MA
Great job Ironman..congrats!

Doing a challenging hilly course while training in Fl is tough.

Nice way to adjust on the run when you were w/o your planned nutrition.

I to was thinking of using my DeSoto 400 mile shorts for IM Canada next month. Wonder if peeing in them a bunch made the difference in monkey butt...I'm guessing you didn't do that in training runs and rides.

Lake Placid is a beautiful course...glad you enjoyed it. Rest up...well done!
2009-07-31 11:56 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-07-31 9:59 PM
in reply to: #2319644

Extreme Veteran
Fleming Island, FL
KathyG - 2009-07-31 12:34 PM

I to was thinking of using my DeSoto 400 mile shorts for IM Canada next month. Wonder if peeing in them a bunch made the difference in monkey butt...I'm guessing you didn't do that in training runs and rides.

Lake Placid is a beautiful course...glad you enjoyed it. Rest up...well done!

Yes, the shorts were definitely a lot wetter during the IM than my training runs so I am sure that made the difference. That was the worse part of my recovery, but everything is feeling much better now. If I ever consider doing another iron distance race I will have to come up with a new plan on my race wear.
2009-07-31 10:07 PM
in reply to: #2319409

Extreme Veteran
Fleming Island, FL
JoshKaptur - 2009-07-31 11:20 AM

Congrats on toughing it out even after you had to change your race/nutrition plans.  And thanks for the heads up on the 400 mile shorts.  I've often considered them for the full IM.  Probably best to take a second and change.

You are an Ironman (with cool sunglasses to boot)!

I meant to take my Rx sunglasses off for my finish line photo and completely forgot about them. The lady at the finish line asked me three times if I was ok and I kept telling her I was. She said she couldn't see my eyes and it was then that I realized I had not taken them off as planned. Oh well, maybe next time.

2009-08-01 12:51 PM

Regular
Erbil
Excellent 1st Ironman.  Can't believed you peed so much.  I usually only go twice the whole day!  Way to tough it out on the run. 
2009-08-03 8:23 AM

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

Great Job, I was checking in on you every time I was near a computer.  Too bad about your shorts, but i'm thankfuly you've taught me a new way to describe a pad rash.  Monkey Butt, sweet.  Looks like you had a good race and a nice post-race vacation.  Congrats again. 

2009-08-04 8:22 AM

Veteran
Maine
Great job on the hills of LP! I actually thought of you when my wife and I drove the course. I wondered how you trained in Florida for these hills. You must have felt great during the run when the temps went up!

I trained in Florida for 3 days during a heat wave (normal day) and it's not easy!

Good work!
2009-08-15 8:19 PM

Veteran
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman USA Lake Placid Rss Feed