General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Let's talk about mass swim starts Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-31 11:51 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: Let's talk about mass swim starts
The swim is my weakest of the 3 sports and I am hoping for 1:30 split for IMFL.  I have done a beach start (Gulf Coast Tri), but never a mass beach swim start. 

I heard some scary stories from IMCDA and I guess I have been lucky up until now that in all of the OWS Tri races I have done, I have never been clobbered (and I get passed by a lot of different colored caps!).

I have heard different advice about how to avoid the craziness, including waiting 1 minute on the beach before starting, starting on the outside, etc.

I would love to hear your personal experiences and any advice you care to share too!

2009-07-31 12:13 PM
in reply to: #2319689

User image

The Original
Raleigh/Durham
Subject: RE: Let's talk about mass swim starts
I did IM FL in '06 and started in the middle off to the right- I think.  Honestly the starting crowd of athletes is soooo big it was really hard for me to figure out "exactly" where I was positioned.  My goal was to swim it under 1:20 and I actually swam it in 1:16- so my goal was realistic and I think I started in the right spot. 

I remember when the cannon went off a lot of the hard core athletes ran into the water- where I started, everyone just walked in.  It was really funny because we had the attitude of "oh, I guess it's time to swim."  The start for me was laid back and fun. 

Once I started to cut into the first buoy (which looking back I did that way too soon) I got caught up in the washing machine.  It was sooo crowded that all I could do was doggie paddle- I couldn't swim free style and not even breast stroke because there was absolutely no room.  And I got kicked a few times in the chin and got an elbow wrapped around my neck. 

After the the first buoy it was a little bit better and by the 2nd bouy it was only crowded right around it.  The 2nd lap I was pretty much swimming in my own happy place.  I would say that the first 1/2 of the first lap was the most physical for me.

I think it pretty much comes down to positioning. I can't imagine how physical it was at the front of the start.  I will never be fast enough to find that out either

Edited:  I'm doing IM Cozumel this Nov. and it's a non wetsuit legal swim.  So I plan to start in the middle and off to the right again but not cut in as early to avoid the physical contact.  There's something about not being able to wear a wetsuit- I really don't want to get plowed over because nothing is going to help me stay afloat admist all the contact but myself

Edited by runnergirl 2009-07-31 12:16 PM
2009-07-31 12:18 PM

User image

Pro
Simpsonville, SC
I did IMCDA this year. I'm a decent swimmer and felt capable of swimming a 1:05 for the course. First IM. Lined up right on the buoy line, 3 rows back. Was trapped in a mass of people. Nothing horribly brutal, just nowhere to go. It was frustrating trying to swim and not being able to get a full stroke in without slapping someone or getting slapped. Ended up with a 1:10 swim.

In hindsight, lining up well to the right of the buoys further down the beach would have been much better. More room to swim. I would suggest taking the "long way" around the buoys. I think it would be less chaotic there.

Pam
2009-07-31 1:12 PM

User image

Veteran

In 3 of 4 IMs, I got pushed around at the start and at all the turns.  In the other start, I unwittingly lined up near the pros, not realizing my 'mistake' until after the race.  We were way over on the right of the crowd.  It was clear sailing until the first turn, where of course everyone converges. 

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Let's talk about mass swim starts Rss Feed