General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Fee + Processing Fee Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-07-31 3:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Race Fee + Processing Fee
After doing some research, I noticed that triathlon/running events seems to be the only business/event that requires a participant to pay a processing fee when registering. It seems odd that we are arguably charged a service charge to register online, when if I use the same credit card on paypal the vendor covers those fees. Understandably, the cost to the consumer is increase to reflect this charge.

Would we not prefer to have a one price registration and not a registration fee plus a processing fee? Paying 5-6$ to register online seems a bit expensive.

Thoughts?

2009-07-31 3:33 PM
in reply to: #2320250

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
Subject: RE: Race Fee + Processing Fee
What difference does it make if you pay $50 registration and $5 processing versus  $55 registration?

The RD gets value in exchange for that fee. If the third party wasn't providing the services, the RD would have to hire someone or do the work himself, either of which costs him. He would almost certainly pass that cost on to the participants.

Edited by the bear 2009-07-31 3:35 PM
2009-07-31 3:39 PM

User image

we also pay service charges for concert tickets....

2009-07-31 3:39 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Pittsburgh
Never really bothered me -- it's like when you buy concert tickets online and Ticketmaster adds on that "service charge."  It's a little annoying to forget to factor that into the cost of your registration, but active.com or whoever needs to be able to stay in business -- otherwise, it would probably be way more of a headache for everyone to try to figure out how to register and where to pay.

I always just assumed that the two separate items on the invoice was to better account for where the money is going.  Personally, I prefer that.  If some middleman is taking some of my money, I want to know just how much I'm paying them!  I'd rather pay $50 + $5 service charge than pay $55 for registration/fees and then discover that only $25 was going towards my actual registration and that some intermediary website was pocketing the other $30.
2009-07-31 4:02 PM
in reply to: #2320308

User image

Resident Curmudgeon
The Road Back
Gold member
kat_astrophe - 2009-07-31 3:39 PM Never really bothered me -- it's like when you buy concert tickets online and Ticketmaster adds on that "service charge."  It's a little annoying to forget to factor that into the cost of your registration, but active.com or whoever needs to be able to stay in business -- otherwise, it would probably be way more of a headache for everyone to try to figure out how to register and where to pay.

I always just assumed that the two separate items on the invoice was to better account for where the money is going.  Personally, I prefer that.  If some middleman is taking some of my money, I want to know just how much I'm paying them!  I'd rather pay $50 + $5 service charge than pay $55 for registration/fees and then discover that only $25 was going towards my actual registration and that some intermediary website was pocketing the other $30.

So, do you ask for a complete breakdown of where your registration fee goes? How much goes to food and drink, to police and traffic control, to T-shirts, to awards, to charity, to the RD's entrepreneurial profit? Do you think the RD would tell you?

Just another cost of putting on a race. As I said, if you weren't paying active.com you would be paying someone else the RD hired or the RD himself.
2009-07-31 4:09 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Buford GA
The first race I signed up for had a 6% service charge that active charges if you did it that way but the site wasn't working no big deal I printed it out and mailed it in. When I was filling out the form I noticed there was a 6 buck charge if you mailed it in.

Ended up being more expensive to mail it in. This was not a charge for active this was a charge going right to the race. No big deal I wasn't going to argue over teh 1.20 more or whatever it was to mail it in.

I understand the service charge for using an online service but for one direct that seems odd.

Since the ticket master comparison was made we can use that here. If you buy tickets from ticket master the service you are paying for is being able to get them online or by phone and not have to actually go to the venue and wait on line. If you go to the venue there is no service fee. But in this case I went right to the venue (well as close as you could since there is no race day sign up) and still had to pay a service fee.

Not complaining just seemed odd to me.

Reminds me I got an email through active (guess they have to tell them how many people sign up in the mail so they can stop selling spots) saying that my application was received and I have a spot, but its been a few weeks and still check hasn't been cashed, better call the organizer I guess.

2009-07-31 4:18 PM

User image

Elite
Miami
there is a difference....

because its based on the system that is used.  one of the organizers of florida triathlon used a system that only charged $3.  of course they got broken into and cc info was stolen.  now we use active.com and pay $7 per race.

$4 a race isn't much i guess, but just the tought makes me go bonkers.  i rather spend the $4 on lunch.  sorry.  just my thought. 
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Race Fee + Processing Fee Rss Feed