General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone doing the Mayo Lake tri? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 2

2009-08-17 4:56 AM
in reply to: #2320403

User image

Elite
Raleigh
Subject: RE: Anyone doing the Mayo Lake tri?
The first 2/3 were great:

Swim: 14:35
Bike: 42:19
Run: 33:41.7

Like Halfpint I had a cramp 200 yds into the run and had to walk run the whole thing. I had no idea it was off-road. The roots were tough. That one steep downhill almost killed me. As it was I jammed my small toe of my right foot.

Do not know if I will do it again next year. Depends on what my A races are.

I have got to up my running miles and drop some weight I have gained. My run has gooten slower every race this year, and while my swim has improves and my bike stayed the same, overall I am doing worse due to the declining run.  I think I know what my off season plan will be. Laughing

2009-08-17 8:49 AM

User image

Veteran
I agree with those suspicious of the run length. Maybe it was 5K as the crow flies (or as the Google maps), but when I got to the halfway point water station, I was like "That can't be right." Luckily there was a cute competitor that passed me about halfway in, so I was motivated to stay within eyesight of her good form    (I know that may sound awful and lecherous, but sometimes I have to dredge up any motivation I can find to keep going for the run!).
2009-08-17 9:11 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Raleigh, NC
I actually really liked this race.  I was leery of the swim as the water looked a bit, um, stagnant but it was smooth as glass so I guess I couldn't complain.  Swim was MUCH better then Triangle which I really needed.  Getting out of the water was rough and I almost pulled a volunteer in the water-oops

The bike was ok, I really need to focus on the bike as that is kinda meh for me, not my favorite discipline and I think it is because I don't do it enough.  Could probably place in my age group if I became a stronger cyclist.

I LOVED the run but that is because I was passing people.  I had a "Carol" moment where I started stalking girls in my age group and when I passed them I would do it with gusto so they wouldn't come back and try to catch me.  heehee  Thought the trails kept things interesting but I was just waiting for my ankle to roll the wrong way. 

Thought the FS people were great, post race food was ok but for $20 I was just glad to have something to fill my tummy. I am starting a Triangle Orthapeadic water bottle collection Overall not a bad Saturday morning!
2009-08-17 10:48 AM
in reply to: #2352743

User image

Master
Chapel Hill, NC
jrj0924 - 2009-08-17 10:11 AM

I actually really liked this race.  I was leery of the swim as the water looked a bit, um, stagnant but it was smooth as glass so I guess I couldn't complain.  Swim was MUCH better then Triangle which I really needed.  Getting out of the water was rough and I almost pulled a volunteer in the water-oops

The bike was ok, I really need to focus on the bike as that is kinda meh for me, not my favorite discipline and I think it is because I don't do it enough.  Could probably place in my age group if I became a stronger cyclist.

I LOVED the run but that is because I was passing people.  I had a "Carol" moment where I started stalking girls in my age group and when I passed them I would do it with gusto so they wouldn't come back and try to catch me.  heehee  Thought the trails kept things interesting but I was just waiting for my ankle to roll the wrong way. 

Thought the FS people were great, post race food was ok but for $20 I was just glad to have something to fill my tummy. I am starting a Triangle Orthapeadic water bottle collection Overall not a bad Saturday morning!

Way to go, Jennifer! Maybe those swims at the lake are paying off for you! And gosh, thanks for the reference. :-)
2009-08-17 11:09 AM
in reply to: #2352237

User image

Master
Raleigh
nhangen - 2009-08-16 11:11 AM

By the way, if you saw a guy at the bike start off to the right working on a rear wheel, that was me.

I saw you! just as you pulled over, pondering what the heck was wrong...lol

My Times:

Swim:17:38
Bike:46:17 <--slow for me
Run:30:43 <--- very slow for me

Edited by halfpint 2009-08-17 11:14 AM
2009-08-17 3:23 PM

Hi all.  I know of the spindly log that you speak of coming out of the water, I actually stepped all over it and pulled one of my toenails partially off.  I didn't really feel it until the run and didn't REALLY feel it until after the race but still that seems like a no-brainer to clear that area of BIG debris.  Also thought the slippery as glass ramp out of the water was a bit strange.  I really liked the bike course, and as most of you have mentioned - the run course seemed a bit long.  I felt like I was HAULING on the run the last mile and still was a couple minutes slower than my last Tri.  I did improve my time from Triangle by 21 minutes, so counting the 2.5 mile shorter bike I'd say I improved by around 12 minutes or so.

Swim - 21:33 - 6 minutes better than the Triangle.  The Triangle was my first open water and I freaked a little.  Felt MUCH better in the water this time.
Bike - 53:00 - I need to get some clipless pedals.  I think being strapped in is probably not the most efficient use of energy.  Still did better than the Triangle though.
Run - 32:03 - Pretty slow for me.  As most of you said, the run was pretty tough and since not a soul broke 20 min I have to think it was long.

Overall it was a good race.  Depending on timing, I may do it again next year.

Edited by Word2daPack 2009-08-17 3:24 PM

2009-08-18 8:32 AM

I enjoyed the race! It was my first tri this year due to my work schedules and the fact that a few of the races I wanted to do closed up early.

At Mayo Lake I had my best race ever finishing 67/97 for the females. I'm typically nearer to the back of the pack so I was happy with my results. I would have finshed better had I been able to complete the running portion without walking intervals and if I had been able to have a quicker T2 (foot got stuck in bike shoes, I have the mountain bike shoes that have the crank fastener and it stuck!).

The run course was much flatter than what I am used to from training on the trails at Umstead Park but I found it difficult. I believe the bike course took a lot out of me and I need to practice bike run bricks and push myself a little harder. Anyway here are my times....

Swim 16:36 (happy with that considering I breast stroked the whole way and it included the      slick water exit and run up the hill) 58/97
T1 2:05  50/97
Bike  55:45  68/97
T2 1:54 90/97 (that hurt!)
Run 36:49.5  72/97 (could have been better...)
2009-08-18 10:27 AM

User image

Regular
We are glad most enjoyed the race on Saturday and will do it again in 2010 for a very competitive rate! All the feedback is great and will help us get better at providing top notch events in the future.

Our team is already working on improvements coming out of the water for 2010 so it will make it easier for all to exit the lake behind the amphitheater. More food and drinks too!

Run Course - Mayo Lake Parks and Rec uses this course for 5k races that have been hosted at this site. We also verified it with google maps and used GPS watches to run the course on Friday 3 different times to check the distance. That being said, no course is perfect and we really tried to make sure it was as accurate as possible (3.1m).

PS: If you are looking at 2 other events this year - OBX and Lake Royale are really chilled events in the next month or two.

Thanks,

FS Series

2009-08-18 12:08 PM

Thanks for the post FSSeries! Just to comment further the entry fees were great! I know that many new to triathlons are already spending so much on gear that it is difficult to pay for a lot of entry fees. Inexpensive race fees really give those people that chance to try out an event and it is also a good opportunity for those who want to add an "extra" event to their race calendar.

2009-08-18 12:53 PM

User image

Regular
Exactly - that is why we are going to offer it again in 2010! Our goal is to get 450 participants for this event and to make the little adjustments to make this a blast year in and year out!

See you soon!

FS Series
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Anyone doing the Mayo Lake tri? Rss Feed  

of 2