General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wanting to TRI Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-08 12:09 PM

Subject: Wanting to TRI
I am very interested in doing a tri. at 43 years old I have not idea why. I am in the process of getting myself in shape I have lost almost 40 lbs with about 10-15 more to reach my goal weight of 195-200 lbs. I am working out 6x a week at a gym along with, doing as cycle/spin class 3x a week and now running about 2 miles 3x a week. For some reason doing a tri has sparked something in my and is something I would like to do, sound like fun and a way to keep your self in shape. I have some questions

I swim like a rock how can I get help with my swimming this is my only concern running & biking don't worry me, drowning does.

I need to get a bike without spending a fortune any suggestions.

There is a tri coming up in Sept. in my area is that to soon or what is a reasonable time frame?

Anyone know much about Team in Training would this be a way to go?

Any other advise would be greatly appreciated.

2005-05-08 12:23 PM
in reply to: #154437

Regular
Buffalo,NY
Subject: RE: Wanting to TRI
If you can bike and run that means you have the endurance to swim . You just have to work on technique to swim without strugling to stay afloat . Master swim might be the answer . Myself I bought the total immersion book and video . I could not swim 100yds without stopping 8 months ago , now I can swimm 4000 yds with no problem. Good luck and dont give up . ERIC B
2005-05-08 12:40 PM

User image

Expert
Los Gatos, CA
September is not too soon for a sprint based on what you wrote.....Joining a tri club or Team in Training helps you get connected to all the local resources you may need so I would pursue that. Do get serious about swimming....most of us need professional instruction and it is not mastered in a matter of days or weeks, you really need to step up hard to swimming...many people post on this site about their frustrations w/ swimming but it can be mastered by anybody...For a bike, the advice is always to visit your local bike shop....you don't just need a bike, you also need them as an ongoing source of advice, fit, maintenance etc....Some may call tri a hobby...in fact it's more of a lifestyle based on the time and money it consumes.....;-)
2005-05-08 12:44 PM

User image

Expert
First of all let me say that your age has nothing to do with whether or not you can complete a tri. It's all about drive and determination. How long is the tri that you want to do? I agree that you need to find someone who can coach you in the swim. Technique is the key to good swimming, and you can't see your own stroke, so find a coach. Having a goal to work towards is sometimes the only thing that motivates me to get out there. I doubt I would have the drive to swim, bike, and run if I was doing it just to pass the time away. As far as TNT, I went to my first meeting a couple of days ago. Great people with a wonderful cause. My only concern is the fundraising aspect. However, they have everything in place. Look on their website for the next meeting near you and at least check it out. At the meeting I went to they didn't ask for a committment right then. Let me know how it goes.

Edited by crazylegs 2005-05-08 12:50 PM
2005-05-08 12:48 PM

User image

Champion
Sarasota, FL
I did my first Tri 1-1/2 years ago at age 50. Like you I had been intrigued by the thought of attempting one, but it took the prodding and harassment of a colleague (and Ironman/Marathoner) at work to finally get me to do it. With only two weeks to prepare, I struggled through my first race, particularly the swim. Spent a lot of time doing breaststroke and backstroke, but made it to the end. Crossing the finish line, even though I was next to last, was a terrific feeling.
I was hooked, and started training 2x a week on each event. You're right, it is a great way to stay in shape. And the cross-training aspect saves my 51-year-old joints from too much repetitive pounding.
As far as the swimming, I would suggest signing up for some adult classes at your local YMCA. Explain to the instructor what you're trying to accomplish. Some masters swim clubs also encourage beginners and sometimes offer specific workouts for triathletes and other open-water racers. Learning proper technique and an efficient stroke are the keys to a successful swim.
You have plenty of time between now and September to get ready.
Good luck and go for it!
Mark

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Wanting to TRI Rss Feed