General Discussion Race Reports! » Weeki Wachee Springs Wedding Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Weeki Wachee Springs Wedding Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Weeki Wachee, Florida
United States
State of Mind Sports
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Got there so early, I started wondering if I had the right date! This was a very, very low-budget race. No lights, no timing chips, no swim caps. Helped the folks parked next to me get ready by lending them my dive light.

Got lots of interesting 'looks' from people wondering why the heck I was wearing a wetsuit for only a 400 yd swim. Someone actually asked me and I responded with "its 72 degrees...that's FREEZING!" I'm sure they thought I was a poor swimmer and needed the buouyancy...nope. I'm a cold-water WUSS and the last time I was in Weeki Wachee, I was wearing a DRY SUIT, so no way in hell I would voluntarily get in without a wetsuit. If there was somebody drowning in front of me, I'd stop to don a wetsuit before I jumped into WW. (ok, maybe a leeeetle exaggeration, but you get the idea)

There were divers gearing up on shore...I guess the divers enter in a new place now. Saw an instructor I know and we chatted for a bit.
Event warmup:

Swam around and tried free-diving to stuff in the basin. Made it down to the castle, but couldn't get any deeper than that.
Swim
  • 11m
  • 437 yards
  • 02m 31s / 100 yards
Comments:

Guessing on the time.

I registered for this race after seeing the course online. I thought it was a catastrophe-in-waiting and I didn't want to miss the carnage. I guess the race director figured it out too because the course changed considerably...and became a realistic swim instead of the mass suicide he had originally planned.

We started by the old diver's ramp...they had everyone swim out there and wait for the race start which was delayed by FIFTEEN minutes. I was all toasty warm while all the folks around me were shivering and blue. People tried getting out onto the diver's ramp, but kept sliding on the algae and gave up. I was SOOOOOOOOOO happy I didn't cave to peer pressure and wore my wetsuit!!

The swim was a mass-start. We swam to the other end of the run, then turned. When the run narrowed, the flow was KICKING. I was dreading to have to swim back upstream through that....but it turned out that section was shallow enough to stand in. YAY.

Got out of the water at the same time as a certain tri coach...so I felt very happy with my swim.

Overall, this was probably the best swim course I've had in any race. There was so much to look at while swimming, perfect visibility (until people started walking and mucking it up). I thought I'd hate it because its a boring place to dive, but it was a refreshing respite from the tannic lakes that I'm used to in races.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Yucky large gravel, opted to wear shoes.
Bike
  • 44m 3s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.93 mile/hr
Comments:

It was 2 loops with some sloping hills. It was lots of fun and I had a blast interacting with folks and cheering on the mountain bikers.

Missed one of the turn-arounds and had to double-back a bit.

Had a gen on the second loop...this was the perfect nutrition for a sprint...one gel before the race, one during.
What would you do differently?:

Pay closer attention to the turn.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Run
  • 23m 11s
  • 1.5 miles
  • 15m 28s  min/mile
Comments:

The run was WAAAAY short. I wonder if they had meant for us to do 2 loops or something different. It was more than a mile short. The first 1/3 mile was through the parking lot of WW, then we went into the 'woods'. It looked okay for another quarter mile until it turned into hell. Welcome 16 min mile pace...walking uphill through a construction mound. Ran sub-12 back when we got back to the pavement....but it was the WORST run course I've seen. EVER.
What would you do differently?:

Post race
Warm down:

Collected my 1st place Athena hardware. Shh...don't ask how many Athenas were racing.

Event comments:

For being a super extremely low-budget race, it was well done. I would have paid a little more to use a real timing chip, but I can do without some of the frills of a bigger race. This was a great time, and I'd do it again if its repeated.

Next time, I'd make sure to have my lap watch as the results that were posted are totally ridiculous. They're not even CLOSE, they don't have people in the right order, but I'm happy to report through some miracle of time-travel that must have happened during the race, I now have PROOF that I can run 4 min per mile faster than I really can!

Last updated: 2009-07-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:00 | 437 yards | 02m 31s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/
Overall: 1/
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:03 | 12.43 miles | 16.93 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:11 | 01.5 miles | 15m 28s  min/mile
Performance: Bad
Course: Huge mounds of dirt that a tractor had been through some time ago.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized? No
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 2

{postbutton}
2009-08-01 12:58 PM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Weeki Wachee Springs Wedding Triathlon

2009-08-01 2:02 PM
in reply to: #2321373

User image

Extreme Veteran
New Port Richey, FL
Subject: RE: Weeki Wachee Springs Wedding Triathlon

I amost signed up for this race...if only as an excuse to wear my wetsuit. Glad I didn't though, as I've been sick all week.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Weeki Wachee Springs Wedding Triathlon Rss Feed