Minnetonka Community Education
65F / 18C
Sunny
Total Time = 4h 27m 59s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:15 and ate some cold cereal while watching the weather channel. I loaded the bike and headed to Minnetonka. I probably should have double-checked the map because I drove right past the school and had to double back. Its a good thing I only have to follow the butt in front of me for this ride.
Event warmup:

Find the rest of the crew. The first 10 miles served as a warmup.
Bike
  • 4h 27m 59s
  • 74.2 miles
  • 16.61 mile/hr
Comments:

Well, this is a RIDE and not a RACE, so it was nice to take it easy and ride with some of the guys from the Twin Cities Spoke crew. It was a mass start, so the first 10 miles were at a leisurely pace. The crowd started to thin out around Wayzata as the different routes split up. Once we got away from the lake, the wind started to pick up. It was pretty brutal until we turned South in Delano. We cruised through to Waconia and headed East. There were some pretty funky cross-winds that turned into head-winds when we turned North in Chaska. The cherry on this sundae was the wicked hills in the last 3 miles. They really make you earn that T-Shirt.
What would you do differently?:

Not much. We stuck in a core group of 4 guys and picked up a few riders along the way. Good times.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk around the parking lot and chat with other riders while eating the free pizza.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Well, I suppose the wind didn't help, but this one wasn't about speed.

Event comments:

This is a very well organized ride. The day-of signup took less than 5 minutes. There were volunteers and/or officers at almost every intersection, which is impressive for a 75 mile loop. Rest stops were well stocked with good stuff and the pizza at the end of the ride was great. I'll definitely try to make this a yearly tradition.

Last updated: 2009-07-27 12:00 AM
Biking
04:27:59 | 74.2 miles | 16.61 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance: Good
Wind: Strong with gusts
Course: Counter-Clockwise loop starting at Minnetonka High School and going through Wayzata, West to Delano, South to Waconia, East to Chaska and then back North to Minnetonka.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks: Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 2
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right