General Discussion Race Reports! » Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Benton Harbor, Michigan
United States
CAPRI Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 01m 42s
Overall Rank = 164/1661
Age Group = 45-50
Age Group Rank = 17/146
Swim
  • 35m 29s
  • 2112 meters
  • 01m 41s / 100 meters
Comments:

This part I am very happy with. Just got in a rythm and got the job done.
Transition 1
  • 03m 19s
Comments:

Probably took a bit too much time. I didn't rush it much.
What would you do differently?:

It was OK
Bike
  • 2h 36m 27s
  • 56 miles
  • 21.48 mile/hr
Comments:

I had big problems. At mile 22ish I heard a loud ping, looked at back tire, thought maybe a flat but it didn't look like it. A little more inspection and I saw front wheel had popped a spoke. Never done that before. I wrapped the spoke around another one but could not keep the tire from rubbing the break pads even with brakes opened wide. Rode the 34 miles with breaks rubbing as the tire became progressively out of true. Had to take corners slowly, because if you lose your front you lose control. It was particularly bad going into the headwind the last 20 miles with the wheel rubbing. It was somewhat humorous however as everyone laughed as I would pass them...squeak, squeak, squeak. It got very badd in the end and I did not know if the wheel would make it. It did and though I had my worst bike time, I am thankful I made it.

Might have been better off taking the time to figure out how to dissassemble the brake so that it did not rub so bad as opposed to merely opening up the breaks. Don't know, just blew the event that I though I would be strongest at based on a 58 minute time trial and a recent 160 mile bike ride (the RAIN ride) at 24+mph. You know what, a lot has to go right and that is what makes the long course unique
Transition 2
  • 03m 24s
Comments:

This was fine

Put on socks for the run if wearing training shoes. Never had problems when running barefoot in flats, but it appears that trainers aren't as smooth on the inside.
Run
  • 1h 43m 6s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 07m 52s  min/mile
Comments:

Feet were bloody from blisters, but did not have any real impact. The chip they provided ate into my leg pretty badly between the sand and its being rather stiff. This was fine, did not expect much considering how little run training I have had this summer.

Not get platar facitis. I had plantars facitis for 2.5 months and only began running again about 5 weeks ago. I expected to go maybe 1:40, but think I burned up too much on the bike between the wind and the break rubbing.
Post race
Warm down:

None

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Little run training, bike mechanical.

Event comments:

Overall, the race was very well run. The course was good and well prepared. The set up was great.

I am happy overall with the event and my performance..it was a good day.

Last updated: 2009-07-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:29 | 2112 meters | 01m 41s / 100meters
Age Group: 46/146
Overall: 0/1661
Performance: Below average
Suit: wet suit
Course: Good, parallel to beach, beach run in, bouys were a bit hard to spot with sun in eyes. Good overall. I stayed on course and in the clear most of the way. This stage went very well relative to others.
Start type: Run Plus:
Water temp: 70F / 21C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Average
Waves: Good Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 03:19
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
02:36:27 | 56 miles | 21.48 mile/hr
Age Group: 18/146
Performance: Below average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Nice rolling course
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 03:24
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes Average
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:43:06 | 13.1 miles | 07m 52s  min/mile
Age Group: 14/146
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-02 9:46 AM

User image

Fishers, IN
Subject: Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon
My wife came to her first triathlon to watch.  That made the whole race experience that much better.  Now perhaps she can understand why we odd birds love this stuff so much.  It was a great day for the swim, fast with the current.  I had a bad mechanical on the bike where I popped a spoke on my front tire, that was a first.  The wheel came substantially out of true.  Wheel rubbed the last 34 miles.  With the strong headwind I about burned myself up.  That blew the event that should have been my strongest.  Based on a recent 40K timetrial and a 160 mile road race @24.4mph, I expected a 2:20-2:25 and walked away with a 2:36 bike - sunk me.  I did not let it blow my day, I still had fun and kept a good attitude.  My run was roughly as expected.  Hurt very badly due to undertraining.  Having had plantar facitis for a few months, I really had not had much time to prepare.  Overall, I was happy with the race.  I had a great day with my wife and we went to visit friends in Michigan.  They do a great job at Steelhead.Smile

Edited by rc63413 2009-08-02 10:08 AM

2009-08-02 10:48 AM
in reply to: #2322145

User image

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon
Great job
2009-08-02 4:34 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Considering your bike problems you had a great race.  i noticed the chip was rubbing my leg uncomfortably and stopped to loosen it up a bit.  Sorry about the blisters.  Live and learn. . .
2009-08-02 7:42 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Russiaville, IN
Great job Greg, that really sucks about the bike, but at least you still salvaged a pretty good bike time.  Looks like your swimming is coming around good job.  I still have a scare around my ankle from last years race from the chip, not sure what is up with the ones they use. 

Take care,

Ron
2009-08-07 9:20 AM

User image

Expert
Washington Court House, Ohio

Nice job Greg.  Very sorry to hear about the spoke and and injury that kept you from running more often.  I'll tune in for your next HIM race.  Get 'em next time!

2009-08-07 1:06 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed