General Discussion Race Reports! » Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon - Triathlon1/2 Ironman

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Benton Harbor, Michigan
United States
CAPRI Events
75F / 24C
Sunny
Total Time = 5h 47m 14s
Overall Rank = 709/1769
Age Group = 50-54
Age Group Rank = 46/93
Pre-race routine:

I got up around 3:30. I had my stuff laid out and still managed to forget my pump.
Event warmup:

I really didn't do anything. I guess my warmup was the walk to the start.
Swim
  • 33m 1s
  • 2112 yards
  • 01m 34s / 100 yards
Comments:

I tried to stay out of the "washing machine" and stayed on the outside edge of the pack. I consciously tried to not go out too fast and managed to do this. I maintained a good even pace and didn't feel winded at all at the finish.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing
Transition 1
  • 04m 49s
Comments:

I took my time in transition. I had a gel and some water. After reading some of the other race reports, I can see there are benefits to being in an early wave. I was in the 4th wave and was out of the water towards the front of the pack. The transition area was pretty much empty which made things easier.

I could have shaved a minute or 2 off this transition easy if I pushed it, but considering this was my first HIM and I wasn't planning on breaking any records, I didn't see the point.
Bike
  • 3h 00m 43s
  • 56 miles
  • 18.59 mile/hr
Comments:

I've been having problems with my bike fit and my upper hamstrings and left buttock were painful withing the first 10 miles. I figured it was going to be a REALLY long day on the bike, but I found that going into the drops things got better. I was averaging 19.5 mph until we hit the Blue Star Highway and a strong headwind. My knees were bothering me and I pushed the last few miles trying to keep my average.

I stayed well hydrated and actually had to pee. I read in a forum that some people just pee on the bike. I waited until there was nobody in sight behind me and gave it a try, but riding and relaxing enough to get something going was not going to happen. I took an extra 30 seconds in the transition area and took care of business.

I'm wondering how much difference a tri bike makes. On my road bike I don't see how I could get much faster, and can't imagine getting up to 21-22 mph like a lot of riders. I've heard that it takes 2-3 years to get good on the bike and I've been riding less than a year and a half. Maybe I just need more training. . .

I had changed bike seats a week before the race. I shouldn't have made a big change right before the race.
Transition 2
  • 03m 27s
Comments:

I took my time again.
Run
  • 2h 05m 14s
  • 13.1 miles
  • 09m 34s  min/mile
Comments:

The first two miles I had trouble getting started. I had pain in my knees and I figured the first couple miles would be tough. The next 2-3 were OK. I had a few miles under 9 minute pace. Things started getting much tougher after that. It's hard to run with significant joint pain. I walked up one hill and walked a couple times for 30 seconds to a minute. I got some mild stomach cramps the last few miles, but they weren't bad.

I'm hoping my bike seat position was the main cause for my knee pain. If it's not, this distance may be too much for my joints.
Post race
Warm down:

Not much.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Knee pain on the run. It's frustrating that I've been running since I was 15 and running is my worst event. I think I'll need more run focused training to get some speed back.

Event comments:

This was my first HIM. I thought it was well run.

Last updated: 2008-12-31 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:33:01 | 2112 yards | 01m 34s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/93
Overall: 327/1769
Performance: Good
Suit: Full wetsuit
Course: Straight swim S to N along the beach.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 68F / 20C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting:
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 04:49
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
03:00:43 | 56 miles | 18.59 mile/hr
Age Group: 42/93
Overall: 777/1769
Performance: Average
Wind: Headwind with gusts
Course: Mostly flat. In the pre-race briefing, it was mentioned that the last 18 miles were pretty much downhill. With a 20 mph headwind it was hard to tell. Some roads were pretty bumpy and others were smooth.
Road:  Dry Cadence: 88
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:27
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Average
Running
02:05:14 | 13.1 miles | 09m 34s  min/mile
Age Group: 45/93
Overall: 709/1769
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-02 3:38 PM

User image

Expert
Fort Wayne, IN
Subject: Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon

2009-08-02 9:34 PM
in reply to: #2322486

Veteran
Subject: RE: Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon

awesome report! Congrats on the race!

Nice to meet you on the run!!

-Helen

2009-08-03 11:11 AM

User image

Fishers, IN
Good job at Steelhead.  As for the bike, I am still not certain that I am not better on my Road bike with aero bars.  I do think it takes about 3 years to really get your bike in order.  You get faster by riding faster is what I have learned.  I rely a lot on groups to do this, but really should become more reliant on intervals.  With intervals you can structure your workouts better rather than relying randomly on what the group does.  The group riding has definitely helped me a lot to this point, because it is motivating to stick with someone's wheel. 

I come from a running background so have had to deal a lot with tight hamstrings and glutes.  I used to get a lot of very strong handed sports massage but find it more convenient now to use a tennis balls for my glutes.  You sit on it and roll it to where your muscle is tight and then try to relax that muscle.  It hurts a bit but does work.

Congratulations again on your first HIM, you did awesome!
2009-08-03 11:21 AM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Congrats!!!  Whooohoooooooo!!!
2009-08-03 3:32 PM

User image

Veteran
Canton, MI
Dude - awesome job on your first HIM!  Especially with bike fit issues...

It was good to meet you (if only for a second) at the expo.  Get the bike fit taken care of and you'll be all set to do your next 70.3!
2009-08-03 8:00 PM
in reply to: #2324939

User image

Veteran
Grand Rapids, MI
Nice job nick. Looks like you have a good excuse to buy a tri bike! Weather or not it will help, it's a good excuse. It is a proven fact that it is easier to pee off a tri bike than a road bike. Nice meeting you at the Expo.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Whirlpool Steelhead 70.3 Triathlon Rss Feed