General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin stress fracture? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-02 6:50 PM

Subject: Shin stress fracture?
I accidentally posted this as a poll. Let me try this again. Ever since I gained weight several years ago, I have been fighting shin splints when I jog. I figure the weight gain must be the culprit because I didn't have trouble jogging when I was at my healthy weight. I am 4 weeks out from my first sprint triathlon and started the walking to running program a week ago. When I jog, I go slowly with short strides to minimize impact. I've been doing the swimming and cycling for the past 7 weeks, but I waited as long as I could to start jogging. The pain had been on the inside of my shin bones, where the muscle meets the bone. My right shin seems to be doing well, but it's the left one I'm concerned about, because in the past week it started hurting in one specific spot on the bone. It hurts to touch. When I stepped off a step today, it hurt. Should I go to my MD or should I keep going and see how it does? It seems like my past few visits to the MD have been a waste, so I'm hesitant to go in. Your thoughts?

2009-08-02 7:34 PM
in reply to: #2322768

User image

Lafayette, CO
Subject: RE: Shin stress fracture?
How many miles on your shoes? 
2009-08-03 12:08 AM

I'm wearing a brand new pair of running shoes that I was fitted for at a running store. I can tell that they feel tons better than my old shoes and they definitely help.
2009-08-04 12:09 AM

User image

I had some painful shin splints in the same area and got some great help from my physical therapist.  I was prescribed three stretches that I did for at least five each day the first week to loosen up the muscles and then 1 minute a day in the morning and after workouts.  The three stretches were the Gastroc stretch, soleus stretch, and most importantly for the type of shin splints I had was the toe flexor stretch.  I also got ultrasound treatments, iced daily (from the inside ankle up along medial aspect of my tibia), and took an ibuprofen before and after each workout.  The pain cleared up in about three weeks even though I biked over 500 miles in that period.  I would also suggest as much as it sucks to hear slow down on the jogging when you start back up.  I'm personally planning on just biking, swimming, and doing leg stability exercises for the rest of this year and starting a walk/jog with a very very slow progression in the spring.

this is a great guide to stretching...(I do most of these after every workout)

http://www.cantoo.org.au/IgnitionSuite/uploads/docs/Runners%20Guide%20to%20Stretching%20and%20Stability.pdf

best of luck to you!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Shin stress fracture? Rss Feed