General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is 4 times a week to much? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-02 6:51 PM

User image

Regular
Plainfield, IL
Subject: Is 4 times a week to much?
Hey everyone I have a question. I started training for my first tri in the begining of July...the race is Aug 9th. My weight traing has been lacking for the last month due to the training. My question is, is it to much to weight train 4x's per month breaking it up: Chest, Back, Arms, Shoulders. This would be in addition to hitting run/bike/swim three times per week.I want to maintain some size and understand that its better to be be lighter but couldn't you have a good mix? The best of both worlds?Thanks for all the input!

2009-08-03 10:51 PM
in reply to: #2322771

Subject: RE: Is 4 times a week to much?
You want to layoff the strength training when you are in race season.  Once or twice a week doing an all body workout is OK but isolating body parts and doing training/racing is a bit much and could lead to injury.  Maintain some of your strength training by doing it twice a week for now and when the racing season is over you can add back a day or two of strength training.  but you really have to choose speed vs size which is more important to you.
2009-09-24 2:36 AM

User image

Regular
Melbourne
If you want gains in size the best exercizes are the ones which maximise the amount of muscles used e.g. Deadlifts, squats and pushups, 3 times a week is how much my bodybuilder friend trains, for gains you need time to allow your muscles to grow. Also be wary of doing isolationist weights they are not very helpful and could lead to injuries, i.e. squats are much more useful then those leg raises which isolate your quads.

But.....

If you are doing tris it is important to make a choice, some training may help but it needs to be specific to your needs, e.g. I am working on leg strength for cycling and upper body strength for swimming, this can generally be achieved by doing the said discpipline (hillsprints, pull bouyes, sprints etc). but weights can supplement this.

I agree with above poster, need to make a choice 
2009-09-24 9:06 AM

User image

Master
Falls Church, VA

I disagree with the previous posters.

While I do agree that a total body workout twice a week and using compound movements are both very effective approaches, I do not think that what the op is suggesting, doing a single body part once a week, is excessive or will lead to injury.

2009-09-24 7:59 PM
in reply to: #2325781

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Geets16 - 2009-08-03 10:51 PM

You want to layoff the strength training when you are in race season.  Once or twice a week doing an all body workout is OK but isolating body parts and doing training/racing is a bit much and could lead to injury.  Maintain some of your strength training by doing it twice a week for now and when the racing season is over you can add back a day or two of strength training.  but you really have to choose speed vs size which is more important to you.

I agree with this. I'm no doctor, but this is what I've learned over a few years of triathlons...

Happy training!
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Is 4 times a week to much? Rss Feed