General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gut Issues/Cramping - What went wrong? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-02 8:26 PM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Subject: Gut Issues/Cramping - What went wrong?
Hey all!  I appeal to your significant knowledge to help me figure out how to avoid the most unpleasant parts of my day yesterday so that the next one will go better.... (Yes ... I've decided that there will be a "next" one... That didn't take long...)

What causes the gut cramping?  Is it too much food?  Not enough food? 

What about muscle cramps?  Is it not enough salt/potassium - or was it just not enough training? 

... and the eternal question ... how come none of this happened in training?

2009-08-02 8:33 PM
in reply to: #2322954

User image

Elite
Fishers, Indiana
Subject: RE: Gut Issues/Cramping - What went wrong?
Silver_wlf - 2009-08-02 8:26 PM Hey all!  I appeal to your significant knowledge to help me figure out how to avoid the most unpleasant parts of my day yesterday so that the next one will go better.... (Yes ... I've decided that there will be a "next" one... That didn't take long...)

What about muscle cramps?  Is it not enough salt/potassium - or was it just not enough training? 

There really is no way to generalize the cause of gut cramping. MULTIPLE factors can play into it, and it's different for everyone.  Some people's GI tracts react differently to different influences and stimuli.  It could be a result of a mix of things.  Would you post more about what you took in, when you felt it, etc. and it might help ID the issue. 
2009-08-02 9:03 PM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Thanks!

I had a gel and about 18oz of water at the beginning.  At the first aid station I grabbed another water and mixed my Accelerade (I carried concentrate).  I had some sport beans about 30 minutes into the bike (maybe 5-8).  At the second aid station I mixed another Accelerade in my aero bottle - but I didn't finish it - it was starting to "bubble" in my stomach and I felt really gurgly.  I had 2 more gels at intervals on the bike - one before the 3rd station and I grabbed one at the 4th.   

Probably just too much food right?  Everyone told me I had to make sure I ate - and I wonder if I overdid it? 

I switched to water on the run and it settled down.  I had 3-1/2 bananas and water for the first part of the run. I only started taking in Gatorade at the 10 mile mark because I was worried about salts.

My hamstrings felt really tight later in the run.  (Maybe mile 8-9?)
2009-08-02 10:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ontario

Silver_wlf - 2009-08-02 8:26 PM

It sounds like we had similar issues at Steelhead. I suspect that this happens in races and not training because we try slightly different things for hydration/nutrition on race day, perhaps because we are trying to get a few more calories in. Also it happens because we don't do 6 hour race intensity training sessions, and our stomachs can't handle as much at that duration and intensity.

My problems seemed to start with the orange Gatorade Endurance on the bike. Using my own lemon lime GE mix for the first half of the bike I was fine, but I had never trained with orange and can't find it in stores. Some people have gastric problems if they use Gatorade and gels at the same time, and I may not have let my stomach empty the Gatorade before I used gels and water. I wasn't having stomach cramping, but my stomach stopped emptying, so I felt bloated, nauseous and sloshy. Trying to consume too many calories can cause what you experienced.

Usually when I have gastric problems I can get through it by switching to water and walking for a bit, but not this time. Of course the big saviour for me is cola, but for some reason 70'3s races don't seem to have it for aid stations. Given that the big sponsor for Steelhead is Pizza Hut, and they are owned by Pepsi, you would think they could have a little Pepsi late in the run.

I've never had cramping problems. Some people swear by salt tablets and others claim that you can't lose enough salt to need them.

I think it's time for me to try Infinit. Hope you get your nutrition figured out. You had a good race considering your gastric problems.

2009-08-03 7:46 AM

User image

Champion
MA
What I would suggest is write it all down with calories and the various times you ingested things and make a list.

Like for me @ 20' 22 grams of malt, 1/3 tablet Lava Salt; repeated xxx times= yyy number of grams carbs/time out there carbs per hour

I make a note of how much I eat on all my long rides, runs and races to have it to look back at if I need to in the future. Plus a year or two from now much harder to remember and it depends when you plan to do your next HIM.

Nutrition and mental strength are often overlooked when training to go longer and are needed to be successful. We can all learn from what happens when things don't go well.

Sounds like a lot of different types of food and if the concentration of carb ratio gets to high in your stomach bloating can occur.

I've simplified this year, and do a homemade version of something similar to infinite and it is a heck of a lot cheaper...2 years costs maybe $70. I just make it up and drink a marked amount every 20' on bike and run.

Congrats!

Edited by KathyG 2009-08-03 7:49 AM
2009-08-03 9:04 AM
in reply to: #2323035

User image

Alpharetta, Georgia
Bronze member
Silver_wlf - 2009-08-02 9:03 PM 
I had 3-1/2 bananas and water for the first part of the run.

3.5 bananas or 1.5 bananas?
Either way, that sounds like a lot for the beginning of the run!

How much do you usually eat on a long run of this length?

PS bananas on an empty stomach make me vomit. I have no idea why or when this started happening because I ate them as a kid all the time. But I steer clear of them these days.

Edited by lisac957 2009-08-03 9:05 AM

2009-08-03 9:07 AM
in reply to: #2323621

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
I'm sorry - that wasn't clear.  I had 1.5 bananas total over the course of 8 miles (~80 minutes).  I normally have Accelerade (10oz) and a gel over the course of 2 hours - but I didn't know what to do about my GI issues.  I had my Accelerade with me but I couldn't stomach it at all so I dumped it in favour of water.

My stomach settled down after the first half - but then my legs started to cramp.
2009-08-03 11:26 AM

User image

Master
Frisco, Texas
GI issues can be caused by many different factors, as stated above.  Here are some questions to ponder:

-Did you practice your nutrition in training and at race intensity?
-During your long, race intensity training did you figure out how many calories/hour works best for you?  And how to take in those calories, i.e. all liquid, combo of solid and liquid, timing, etc.

I've made the mistake of racing at a higher intensity than I trained for.  My digestive system shut down and I ended up in the port-a-potty.  Not fun. 

Looking at your race report, you raced the bike at ~18mph.  Your logs show some rides in the 18 mph range.  But in your race report you state 'tough hills', keeping your speed up into a headwind, trouble with drafting and surging to pass.  It sounds to me like you took in too many calories and raced at a higher intensity than you're training would allow.  Just a guess though.  (Speed/pace and intensity are not the same thing).

Muscle cramps - yes, electrolytes could be an issue.  But more probable is fatigue.  You may have pushed too hard on the bike leading to fatigue.  Your brain is trying to shut you down before you injure yourself.  So, yes, not enough training.

2009-08-03 11:44 AM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Going into Steelhead, I was worried about some of the same issues ever since I did an olympic distance race back in June. I was thinking it was a poor combination of what I ate/drank. Well for the Steelhead race, i went back to what I was used to, and worked for me, which was gels, accelerade, and water. No solid foods, etc.

Well about the 20-25 mile marker I began to have stomach cramps, and feeling bloated, and distended. It began to hurt to even take a drink.

Just like yourself I wasnt able to start feeling better until about halfway thru the first loop. What I've come up with is that my heart rate was high for me (my zone 5-6) on the bike, and about halfway through the run it cam back down to my zone 2. At that point I could eat anything I wanted without any problems.

When I did a lactate threshold test about 2 months ago the lady administering the test warned me this would happen. Well I didnt believe her until this past weekend. Now I'm a believer about Heart rate and the digestive system...

Congratulations on Saturdays race in some less than ideal conditions.

Curt
2009-08-03 12:01 PM

User image

Master
Southern Ontario
Congrats to you too!!! 

I was wondering if I should have worn my HRM.  I haven't trained with it a lot - but it might have provided some interesting data...

Thanks for your input - and everyone else's.  Obviously it's something I need to work on - but I appreciate the insight into the "whys" that will help me for next time.
2009-08-03 12:26 PM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Gut Issues/Cramping - What went wrong? Rss Feed