General Discussion Race Reports! » Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Benton, Louisiana
United States
Sportspectrum
Total Time = 1h 31m 52s
Overall Rank = 145/1300
Age Group = 20-24
Age Group Rank = 8/39
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5:00, left the hotel at 5:30. We weren't exactly sure how to get to the race, but luckily we ran into a guy at the gas station who was racing and we just followed him there. Got to the park just after 6am and headed to transition.
Event warmup:

It had rained heavily the night before, so some of the transition racks (mine included) were set up over pools of mud and water, so I had to wait a while until they figured out a solution. They never came up with one. I racked my bike and then just sat around for a couple hours. My stomach hadn't been feeling well all morning so I was just trying to settle it. I blame it on Munjino's Italian that I had for dinner. It never got settled haha.
Swim
  • 15m 22s
  • 880 yards
  • 01m 45s / 100 yards
Comments:

What I've started to notice with my races is that I never really get excited until the gun goes off. I just kinda waded in the water, looking around, fixing my goggles and being bored. In this case though, the air-horn was replaced with a cannon. Sweet. The cannon boomed and we started swimming. I started on the far right, but somehow wound up in the very middle of a huge pack and couldn't get out of it for a while. I finally did, and found myself all alone while the draft pack swam ahead. That was smart haha.

The swim seemed to go by quickly. I eventually found another guy who was swimming by himself and just drafted off him the whole way in.
What would you do differently?:

Stayed with the pack.
Transition 1
  • 01m 24s
Comments:

Goggles and swimcap off, helmet and sunglasses on.

Done it faster.
Bike
  • 50m 22s
  • 18.6 miles
  • 22.16 mile/hr
Comments:

My heart rate was through the roof until mile 3. After that, I just put my head down and tried to go fast haha. I passed two people at the start, then got passed by around 10 cyclists over the rest of the course. Every single one of them FLEW by me. I had heard this race attracts really fast guys, but I couldn't believe the speed of some of them. Anyway, the bike went really well except for my stomach was still upset. I pushed as hard as I could without spewing chunks everywhere haha.

The first half of the course was super fast, then we hit rollers on the back section. The rollers were really nothing though...I'm a bit hesitant to even call them hills. The course was scenic, I think. I saw a lot of bayou's and rolling plains in my side vision.

I need to work on keeping my speed high through turns and accelerating out of them. This course had a few hard rights that I lost time on.
Transition 2
  • 01m 26s
Comments:

Put up my bike and put on my shoes.

Remember to put on my race number. Yep...
Run
  • 23m 20s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 30s  min/mile
Comments:

Ran a 7:12/mile to the 1st mile marker. At the aid station, I pulled over to the side and made myself vomit since my stomach still wasn't feeling up to par and I thought that would help. It didn't haha. I ran mile 2 at the same pace, but it was a little slower because of my pit-stop.

The third mile was phenomenal. The first half was a trail run through the woods around the bayou. I had a lot of fun with that, and the time flew by. It was 1/4 mile downhill, then a 1/4 mile climb back out to the road. Awesome. Finished the run and was a little disappointed to see I missed my goal time by almost 2 minutes. Ah well.

Not drink so much water at the aid stations. :)
Post race
Warm down:

I just stayed at the finish and watched everyone else from UNT come through. There was 6 or 7 of us racing, so after they all came in we just ate and waited for awards.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

No speedwork since May!

Last updated: 2009-06-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:22 | 880 yards | 01m 45s / 100yards
Age Group: 10/39
Overall: 0/1300
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 01:24
Performance:
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:50:22 | 18.6 miles | 22.16 mile/hr
Age Group: 13/39
Performance:
Wind:
Course:
Road:   Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:26
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:20 | 03.11 miles | 07m 30s  min/mile
Age Group: 20/39
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-08-02 11:12 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Austin, TX
Subject: Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Sportspectrum River Cities Triathlon Rss Feed