General Discussion Race Reports! » Cleveland Triathlon - Super Sprint Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Cleveland Triathlon - Super Sprint Distance - TriathlonMini Sprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Cleveland, Ohio
United States
Pacific Sports Event Management
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 45m 54s
Overall Rank = 2/113
Age Group = 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/4
Pre-race routine:

Everything went as planned right up until the evening before the race, then ruined my goggles by trying an anti-fog cleaner, bought new ones. A little too amped up for the race, my first tri ever, and slept for only 3 1/2 hours. Out of bed at 4, the usual oatmeat, fruit and protein breakfast and on the road before 5. Must add that I went to the race expo and meet several very nice people, mostly new to the sport. Sure makes the whole event more fun.
Event warmup:

Just a few minutes of walking and jogging starting about 50 minutes before the race. One gel pack 15 prior to start.
Swim
  • 06m 25s
  • 300 yards
  • 02m 08s / 100 yards
Comments:

Seemed like we were wading forever trying to get everyone into the water, it was a big crowd (113). Start position went from good to bad as we waited. Started well, but, things went to crap at about 100 yards, guy in front of me came to a complete stop at the bouy. Freestyled most of the out, a lot of breat stroke on the in. Biggest problem was my goggles fogging up almost as soon as we started. Gotta solve that.
Swim time includes T1 time.
What would you do differently?:

Figure out how to keep my goggles from fogging, work on longer freestyle open water swims and get a better starting position to avoid the mosh pit feeling.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Went exactly as planned, everything in order, shirt, helmet, glasses, shoes, drink and gone. May have been able to move a little faster through the TA, but, catching my breath felt good and I think it helped me get into the bike leg quickly. T1 time included in swim time.

Not a thing.
Bike
  • 25m 54s
  • 8 miles
  • 18.53 mile/hr
Comments:

Really had a good ride, moved from 21st in the field to 1st. Knew I could hammer it pretty hard being only 8 miles, went for it and it paid off.

Could use some work on my gear changes. Maybe have a little something to drink with me on a short ride like this (only drank in the TA).
Transition 2
  • 00m 27s
Comments:

Fast transition, only had to leave my bike and helmet, but, forgot to leave my helmet, LOL. A nice race volunteer offered to hold it for me as I was 50 yards into the run when they asked if I wanted to keep it. Might have never taken it off. Only cost me a few seconds.

Take off my helmet.
Run
  • 13m 10s
  • 1.5 miles
  • 08m 47s  min/mile
Comments:

Didn't mind the hill climb after getting off the bike, doesn't hurt having the short stride after biking. Had to remember to lengthen my strid on the first flat though. Downhill felt good. Got passed in the last half mile. Not much left in the tank at that point.

Should work on my running more, but, a really messed up left knee keeps me from doing much of that. Wouldn't change anything else.
Post race
Warm down:

Walk it off.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Should take a swimming class. Bad knee.

Event comments:

Good event. Only thing I can't figure out is, there was a guy way out in front of everyone, but, he was not declared the overall winner, so, when I thought I was racing for second I was racing for first.

P.S. - Figured it out, the first finisher was part of a relay. I'll have to remember that. I think, if I'd have know I was in the lead it might have motivated me to run faster. Would have never made up the 36 second deficit, but, would have made the race a little more exciting to me.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-07-30 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:06:25 | 300 yards | 02m 08s / 100yards
Age Group: 1/4
Overall: 21/113
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri bottoms
Course: 150 yards out and back in Cleveland inner harbour.
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 75F / 24C Current: Low
200M Perf. Average Remainder: Below average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Average Navigation: Good
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
00:25:54 | 08 miles | 18.53 mile/hr
Overall: 1/113
Wind: Little
Course: One loop on a closed freeway, my dream course. Plenty of room to pass. Long gradual assents and decents. Mostly smooth pavement. Only rough part was, unfortunately, on the fastest section of the course. Was wet to start, but, dried during the race.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:27
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Bad
Running
00:13:10 | 01.5 miles | 08m 47s  min/mile
Overall: 23/113
Course: One loop, long .4 mile uphill to start, .4 mile flat, .4 mile decent, flat finish. detour due to construction and nearly twisted my ankle in a pot hole on the detour.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-03 8:43 AM

User image

Medina, OH
Subject: Cleveland Triathlon - Super Sprint Distance
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Cleveland Triathlon - Super Sprint Distance Rss Feed