Canada
26C / 79F
Overcast
Total Time = 5h 08m 59s
Overall Rank = 136/1079
Age Group = 30-34
Age Group Rank = 13/102
Pre-race routine:

The week leading into the race I did a lot of running, a couple commutes to work and 1 interval session at the pool.

Saturday morning I hop on the bike and head down to the pathway to do a bike check type ride, warm the legs up and do a few short bursts. Only 5k in I turn a corner and run over some glass that was left by some punks that decided to smash bottles the previous night. Damn punks! Bike tire pops...ugh. So now I have to change my first tubular with less than an hour to spare before I need to leave for bike drop. Put on my only spare tubular I have and pump it up...but it's not holding air! It's leaking from stem and connector. Arg! Take the bike to the bike drop and bring the back wheel home. I'll have to take it with me tomorrow morning after I change it for the second time and fix the stem issue.

The lesson here: don't take the race bike out when it needs to be perfect that day! should of taken the cannondale roadie out to warm up the legs.

Sunday morning the alarms goes off at 4:15. I have a bagel with peanut butter. I try to eat some eggs, but I just don't have an appetite to eat. Wife drops me off at the Westin to get body marked and hop on the bus to leave. Get the good lucks from Wife. She'll be at the finish line.
Event warmup:

Frequent washroom breaks and a lot of waiting around. Ate a power bar in there and watched the other athletes. Around 8:00 I started getting ready. Ate a banana and had time for just a quick warmup in the water.
Swim
  • 35m 21s
  • 1900 meters
  • 01m 52s / 100 meters
Comments:

A narrow boat dock for the swim start meant there was a fair bit of crowding on the way to the first buoy, it was fairly tame though. Rounding the buoy the crowd could widen out. I finally had a chance to pass some guys holding me up. I couldn't see the other buoys at all! I would look up and just follow the splash from guys ahead. I could see a group of 4 or 5 ahead of me. I made a push and caught up with them. The buoys are in sight now and I notice we're all off to the left too much. I push past the group and start angling back right to take the first right turn. They all follow. Now, I'm the one being drafted off of. The next part is a short 25m until you turn back right. But that buoy I couldn't see. The sun was right in the eyes and it was tough to see. The long stretch back I couldn't see any buoys again. They needed more out there! I just followed other guys, but once the next buoy came in site I noticed again we were too far left. I made a push right and was by myself swimming for a while. The water started getting choppy and I was being thrown around a fair bit. Turning the last corner for the home stretch I was passing a bunch of blue swim cap guys from the wave earlier. I had to keep realigning my self right as the waves kept pushing me around. I was happy to be done when I reached the boat dock. First time swimming with waves like that. Good practice for ocean swimming in September though. My final time of 35:21 is what I was expecting. I thought a good swim would be sub 35:00, but given the conditions I'm okay being 21 seconds over.
Transition 1
  • 05m 3s
Comments:

Out of the boat dock and grab my T1 bag. For some reason people were putting on their bike shoes and all their gear there. Not me. I ran with my bag to my bike, dumped the contents and threw my wetsuit, goggles and swim cap in there. Shoes on, Garmin on, skull cap, shades, helmet, nutrition. Sunscreened up and left. A small jog to the mount line and then go.
Bike
  • 2h 38m 20s
  • 94.41 kms
  • 35.78 km/hr
Comments:

Nice tailwind for the first 10k before the turnoff. The first 10k I did in 14:20. Not bad! I passed a couple guys right away, but was also passed by a couple others myself. The road turns north at and it was a NW wind. I still managed to keep the pace above 30kph into the wind and up small rises which is my goal. The road surface wasn't that great through the next 15km. I managed it well and kept inspired by passing huge amounts of people from previous waves. We make a right turn and head into the first Aid Station. I grab a banana and keep riding. I get passed by Jay - another guy in my AG. I recognize Jay from the Canmore Triathlon. He passed me on the bike leg there too right at the end - although I passed him on the run after. He says as he passes "haven't we met before?" We chatted for a few seconds and then I gave him the front and hung back, but I made sure to keep him in site. I wasn't going to let him go today like I did in Canmore. I kept him within 100m and repassed him on the next hill. It won't be the last time I see Jay though today. The road turned again and we were on new pavement. I love riding on new pavement! I just did a lot of passing, but unfortunately only passed one guy, Dale, from my AG. The rest were in the 20-29 or 40-49 AG's. I went over the bike split mats and made my way to Cochrane. This was the 50k point and I ate a powerbar here to give me a push out of the valley. Out of Cochrane there is fairly steep climb that I flew up. It continues to climb for a while, but I was pleased with how well I was cycling through this section. Another left turn and onto a secondary highway and into the next aid station. The aid station was on a slight descent which kind of blew momentum. I grabbed another banana and kept going. Heading west again and passed again by Jay. I pushed myself...again I wasn't going to let him get too far ahead. Onto Springbank Road and Lower Springbank it was more of the same. I nearly biffed it as I was taking a drink and swerved right into some gravel...eep. I saved it though and kept going. Jay was flying ahead and I needed to really push to keep him in view. Onto Glenmore trail I pass Jay again but as we head down 37th street he passed me as I sat up to start sucking back a lot of water and spin out the legs to prepare for the run.
What would you do differently?:

The rear wheel still wasn't perfect. Need to get that fixed before next race.
Transition 2
  • 02m 14s
Comments:

Pretty basic. I had a little trouble putting on my socks, but not a big deal.
Run
  • 1h 48m 1s
  • 21.1 kms
  • 05m 07s  min/km
Comments:

Came off the bike and was running well. I don't know why I find the first few clicks so easy off the bike, but I do. Ran the first click at 3:59 and passed Jay right away. My km splits got progressively worse from there. The pain really started being there after the first 3. I had no juice left. My legs were sore and I didn't have the energy to maintain sub 5:00 kms. Here I was thinking I could run 4:30's for the race, but that was not the case! Not even close! A small rise on path and I had to walk a few strides. The first big up hill I resorted to walking. My legs just couldn't turn over any faster on the climbs. Between kms 7-15 I struggled. I walked a few aid stations sucking in a cup of poweraid and a cup of water and grabbing a sponge. I was feeling weak and demoralized...I'm supposed to be good at running and here I am struggling to hold 5:30kms at times. Jay passed me somewhere in km 12. I started to feel better around km 15 and picked my pace back and headed for the hill up and out. I walked this hill until another AG'er passed me. He inspired me to start running. So I did run the last quarter of it to the top. Maybe thats all it takes. Seeing everybody else walk the hills puts me in the mindset to walk the hill too...I dunno. I was still feeling good - in a relative sense. 4k to go. I see Jay in my sites - he walked that last hill too. He is within range but I need a good push to catch him. He starts walking suddenly! I gain on him quickly. He starts running again in about 10 seconds but I really closed the gap. I'm just a few metres behind him now. Just short of the 19k mark I pass him for the last time. I push hard the last 2k. I'm no longer feeling good...I'm hurting, but I keep pushing. I don't want Jay to pass and I'm trying to gain on the guy who passed me on the hill. I stay between the two and come across the finish line. Happy to be done! Jay crossed a few moments behind me. I congratulated him and we talked for a bit.
Post race
Warm down:

I drink some juice and water and cooled down a bit to stretch. I grabbed a slice of pizza after a bit and my finisher shirt. I check the results to see where I stand 13th in my AG...but just 30 seconds behind the 10th place AG'er. Damn! I start to think how I could have shaved 31 seconds anywhere in the race and I would have been 10th. Maybe I could dig deeper on the run. Maybe in the transitions I could of gone faster. Oh well. What's done is done. I raced my race and finished, which was the goal to begin with.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Looking at my splits, my biking is the worst ranked at 21st in my AG. I never thought I'd see the day when my swim is better than my bike. But this is the second race in a row where this has been the case. I really felt like I pushed it hard on the bike after a poor performance at Canmore which I didn't want to repeat. Even while I was running I was thinking I pushed too hard on the bike leg, but seeing and hearing comments from others that had poor runs despite taking it easy on the bike makes me think my strategy was the better option. I have to improve my biking for next season. No question about it. My run was 8th in the AG, but I was thinking I could have run a 1:40ish time and to be 8 minutes above that is discouraging. Good race to gain the experience with and move on.

Event comments:

Good race, there were some things that picked me like the two too small transitions bags they give you that you must use, but not bad overall. I didn't stick around for the awards. I wanted to go home for a beer!

Last updated: 2008-08-26 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:35:21 | 1900 meters | 01m 52s / 100meters
Age Group: 18/102
Overall: 161/1079
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 19C / 66F Current: High
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:03
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
02:38:20 | 94.41 kms | 35.78 km/hr
Age Group: 21/102
Overall: 0/1079
Performance: Good
Wind:
Course: A point-to-point course. From Ghost Lake to North Glenmore park.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 02:14
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:48:01 | 21.1 kms | 05m 07s  min/km
Age Group: 8/102
Overall: 0/1079
Performance: Below average
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-03 10:19 AM

Regular
Subject: Ironman Calgary 70.3

2009-08-03 12:16 PM
in reply to: #2323837

User image

Champion
Calgary
Subject: RE: Ironman Calgary 70.3
Great race. Congrats. Way to beat Jay, that is awesome. I beat he will be coming to get you though at the next race.
2009-08-03 8:01 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
St. Albert
Nice race! Way to beat Jay! I love the competition between Jay and yourself. I can't wait for the next race report when you meet up with Jay again - lol.
2009-08-03 10:40 PM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC

YOU were the one with one tire in transition!

Great race. I think everybody had trouble with the run.

Congrats on a great day.

2009-08-04 12:57 PM

User image

Elite
Calgary,AB,Canada
Hey congrats on a great race. I was out on the run course, and it was hot out there. I'd take your run time any day of the week.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman Calgary 70.3 Rss Feed