General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin/SheROX Philadelphia Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Danskin/SheROX Philadelphia Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
United States
Overcast
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Breakfast (approx 4 hours prior to start time): bananna, chocolate silk, Accelerade

At race: (approx 1 hour - 30 minutest minutes before start time): four PowerBar bites, bottle of water.
Swim
  • 00m
  • 875 yards
  • / 100 yards
Transition 1
  • 05m 30s
Comments:

Super long transition time. The chip mat for the end of the run/start of transition, however, was probably a good 2/10ths of a mile from the mat for the start of the bike, which was definitely a factor. Also, I drank my pre-race water too close to my start and ended up having to stop to pee in transition.
What would you do differently?:

Need to finish drinking my bottle of water sooner than 40 minutes before the start!
Bike
  • 1h 07m
  • 15.53 miles
  • 13.91 mile/hr
Comments:

No rankings given, as the course was closed early due to weather. I felt strong on the bike, but my pace was slower than my last race. Rain started soon after I started the bike course and race organizers were slowing bikers down on certain parts of the course. There were two hairpin turns, two downhills, and two major bike crashes that we were slowing down for in addition to the wet road conditions. Also, the rain had caused lots of small debris in the road. I must have seen more than 10 women fixing flat tires on the side of the road, and I'm sure there were many more flats that I did not see. During my second loop, I could hear rumblings of thunder in the distance. On the final straight away back toward transition, there were a few loud/close thunderclaps that startled me. As I finished my second of two loops, they were pulling everyone off of the bike course, even those who had only completed one loop.
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

I had no real 2nd transition time, as they made an official announcement while I was in transition that the course was closed and that everyone should leave the area. (Actually, I think they said, "stay at your own risk".
Run
  • 00m
  • 3.11 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

The course was closed due to the weather before I started the second run.
Post race
Event comments:

Overall, I think this would have been a really great race if not for the severe thunderstorm that rolled through in the middle of it. The course is really nice, the run is a flat out and back, but the bike is interesting with some challenging hills. I can't comment on the swim course, as the swim was cancelled due to river conditions.

The only negative was that the organizers postponed the start of the race by almost an hour because they kept waiting for the river to improve enough to allow the swim. If the race had started on time, I think most of the women would have finished before the storm, and it wouldn't have been so chaotic with everyone basically evacuating the race site. Also, I've heard that there was hail in some areas of the bike course while some women were still on the course trying to get back to transition in the middle of the storm.

Last updated: 2009-08-03 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:00 | 875 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Swim was cancelled to to weather/river conditions. 1.5 mile run instead. Run time was 11:05, approximately a 7:20 mile pace. No rankings given b/c course was closed due to weather before everyone finished.
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 05:30
Performance: Bad
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
01:07:00 | 15.53 miles | 13.91 mile/hr
Performance:
Wind:
Course: Two loop course with several turns and hills. Closed to traffic.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:00:00 | 03.11 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course: Flat out and back along Martin Luther King (West River) Drive towards the Art Museum.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? No
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-03 10:54 AM

User image

Veteran
Subject: Danskin/SheROX Philadelphia Triathlon

2009-08-05 12:54 PM
in reply to: #2323970

User image

Expert
Hatboro, PA
Subject: RE: Danskin/SheROX Philadelphia Triathlon
The weather conditions were crazy!  I give many props to those of you finished the bike in that rain, as I know I wouldn't have. 

I do think the race officials were really trying not to cancel the swim.  I think whatever they had done would have caused people to be upset.  I was impressed by how fast the run #1 startline was erected; however, since the swim wasn't cancelled until 8:00am, the race had to start late.
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Danskin/SheROX Philadelphia Triathlon Rss Feed