General Discussion Race Reports! » Carls Family YMCA Happy Trails Triathlon Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Carls Family YMCA Happy Trails Triathlon - TriathlonSprint

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Milford, Michigan
United States
Carls Family YMCA
Total Time = 00m
Overall Rank = /
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

The night before the race I packed my bag with all of my necessary gear and secured my bike to our truck bed. I tried to go to bed between 10 and 11 but I seemed to lay awake for eternity. I had no problem waking up when my alarm went off at 4 AM. I then proceeded to eat a banana, yogurt cup, and granola bar and go to the bathroom and double check all of my gear. My dad and I were on the road by 5 and arrived a few minutes after 6. We were on of the first few people to arrive and when I began to survey the scene my nerves started to ignite. We made our way to packet pickup and one of the first people I saw was a guy that looked like he would probably be the winner(later on I saw that he was the one with the aero helmet and Zipps).

I sucked it up and went to the bathroom again and got my chip/strap and set up my transition area. After a while though I began to feel more at ease because the rest of the competitors showed up. I began to see people of all sorts. I started to get really excited because I knew that it was going to be fun.
Event warmup:

No warmup for me because the weather was still pretty chilly and I didn't want to tire myself out in the water. I tried to stand in the sun and wait for my wave to start. The venue offered a beginner wave, but I registered before I was aware of it. I decided to let it go and just race in my age grouping because I don't have problems with swimming.
Swim
  • 18m 32s
  • 800 meters
  • 02m 19s / 100 meters
Comments:

The water seemed freezing during the wade in start. I stayed towards the back of the pack so as not to get demolished and to swim at a nice easy pace. I ended up passing some people and I felt pretty good the entire race. I was worried because I hadn't swam much since the high school winter season ended but I surprised myself. I picked it up near the end and finished strong.
Transition 1
  • 03m 1s
Comments:

During the run to the transition area I pulled off my swim cap and goggles and wondered why everyone was jogging so slow. I picked up the pace so as not to waste time. I arrived at my bike and toweled off briefly and pulled on my compression top. I slipped my sock and shoes on along with my sunglasses and helmet. I un-racked my bike and I was off.
Bike
  • 44m 48s
  • 12.43 miles
  • 16.65 mile/hr
Comments:

The bike felt pretty good, and there was a monster downhill pretty early off. The course wrapped along the lake and due to the early descent, we arrived at the first turnaround in very good time. I cruised on the downhills but suffered on the ascents. It felt pretty good to pass people, and it made me laugh when those people would come back and pass me. We came around the bend and one of the volunteers was cheering us on telling us to hammer on this hill. Since it is the last hill, I give it my all and push through. What a shame though, because it isn't the last hill, I just assumed it was. I recognize the upcoming hill as the hill that we had the initial descent on so I proceed to give my all again(which is next to nothing at this point).
Transition 2
  • 01m 6s
Comments:

Since the course ended on a descent to the transition area, I cruised all the way to the dismount sign. I unclipped and ran my bike to the rack. I took off my helmet and quickly changed into my running shoes.
Run
  • 31m 39s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 10m 11s  min/mile
Comments:

When I ran out of the transition area, my legs felt like jelly. The course wound around towards the boat rental area and back up near the swim start. We had gone through a path cut in near the lakefront and I felt as if we must be getting close to the finish. To my horror, we finally approach the 1 mile sign. This comes as a mental blow and I accept a cup of Hammer HEED. I take one sip and toss my cup because I can't stand the taste. I suffer until the next mile sign so I can rinse the taste out of my mouth with water. During the run I felt like I might throw up. I think I should have eaten a little more food before the race started.

The course starts to descend and I think I see the parking lot where the transition area is. I am hesitant, though, to sprint yet because I don't want to suffer another blow like on my bike leg. I take a chance though and sprint like I never have before. I pass a 63 year old and a 39 year old that I have kept up with the whole race. I slide into the finish and feel great.
Post race
Warm down:

I ate as much as I could at the post-race picnic.

Last updated: 2009-07-05 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:18:32 | 800 meters | 02m 19s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 73/
Performance: Good
Suit: Jammer
Course:
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 81F / 27C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 03:01
Performance:
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:44:48 | 12.43 miles | 16.65 mile/hr
Overall: 74/
Performance:
Wind: None
Course: The only hills I've ever ridden on. They seemed like mountains.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
T2
Time: 01:06
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:31:39 | 03.11 miles | 10m 11s  min/mile
Overall: 131/
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge
Organized?
Events on-time?
Lots of volunteers?
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5]

{postbutton}
2009-08-03 11:28 AM

Expert
Ann Arbor
Subject: Carls Family YMCA Happy Trails Triathlon
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Carls Family YMCA Happy Trails Triathlon Rss Feed