General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Tri-Newbie Ruby Rss Feed  
Moderators: IndoIronYanti, k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2003-08-30 6:45 PM

Augusta, GA
Subject: Tri-Newbie Ruby
Hello all. I'm a triathlon newbie...and have taken on the task of leading a women's triathlon team (for beginners). I just wanted to introduce myself and to ask for any advice you might have.

My triathlon team is made up of about 20 women of all shapes, sizes and fitness levels and I think my biggest challenge is going to be incorporating fitness routines that will suit everyone. Any advice?

I hope to get some great information from this site...feel free to ask me questions if you have any...or just say 'hi'.

Ruby

2003-08-31 4:58 AM
in reply to: #591

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: massage sessions?

sign me up!  check out her team site at http://www.eteams.com/grsocwtt/(i'll put it in my 'clubs' link)

well, i guess the main pointers are the 10% rule and since your a team competing, possibly investigate heart-rate monitor training allowing everyone to build a proper base (safely) in all of your members.  also try to do some strength training twice a week - will definitely reduce injuries.

great luck.  by the way, what is your fitness experience?  bt would welcome any contributions you would have - editorially:  'running a tri team'?  hmmmmm.....sounds like a winner.

2003-08-31 11:53 PM

HAMDEN,CT
Subject: RE: Tri-Newbie Ruby
Ask us anything we are here to help.
Good luck and have fun.
2003-09-17 7:47 PM

Augusta, GA
So, the Tri-team is starting its first fundraiser on October 1st. We're doing a Mileage Pledge Drive. The idea behind it is to get people to pledge a certain amount of money (10-cents on up) for each mile covered (run, swim and bike). We're sending 10% of our profits to the Susan G. Komen Breast Cancer Foundation. My goal is to complete at least 200 miles in the two months...which shouldn't be too bad. I'd like to get the 200 miles just counting the running and swimming.

I've done well on my workouts lately...and am going farther every day. I'm also working on my freestyle swim...which is coming along nicely.

This is turning out to be one of the most rewarding things I've ever done.

Ruby
2003-09-17 8:07 PM
in reply to: #865

User image

Champion
Gold member
Subject: tell us...

how IS that team of yours doing? the experience has to be rewarding.  how r your beginners handling the training?  any specific triathlon race goals? 

the big question is...how is the team leader?  give us some details on your experience....i'm thinking that, when i am ALL DONE FOR GOOD with school, i may want to start a bt-akron chapter.  your help would be great!

2003-09-18 5:54 AM

Augusta, GA
Well, I am doing great...with training and with nutrition. Being the team leader has been really rewarding so far. On Tuesday several women (I've got to stop calling us girls--but it's hard) came out for the training run (just a quick 2-miles). One girl hasn't jogged farther than a 1/2 mile in several years and has a lot of trouble breathing. She completed in the 2 miles...I circled back to run with her and it was so wonderful...seeing how confident she was in herself. After she finished she even ran a couple of sprints with us. That's the part I like best.

We started our fundraiser...and seeing the support from everyone else has been great for me. I even got a donation on our donation site.

The most challenging aspect for me is scheduling training. We all work in a military environment...in intel...and our workcenters have to be manned 24 hours a day...which means that some people work days, other evenings and still others work a midnight shift. I will be switching to a dayshift on Saturday...and work 6 days on, 3 days off...which is great for me...but it is so difficult to accomodate everyone. Luckily several people have stepped up to lead other sessions. Another girl joined the team yesterday...and I'm averaging one or two new people every week.

Other than that...the website is coming along very nicely. I've added this site to my "links" page (I hope that's alright)...and the donation page is neat (except I hate asking people for donations--so the site will probably just sit there).

2003-09-29 12:51 PM
in reply to: #873

What a great idea you are doing. What is the name of your website?
2003-09-29 4:46 PM

Augusta, GA
The website is: www.eteams.com/grsocwtt

Please give me some feedback on what you think about the site...opinions and suggestions are most welcome.

Ruby
New Thread
General Discussion Introduce Yourself!!! » Tri-Newbie Ruby Rss Feed