Minnetonka Community Education
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 56m
Overall Rank = /2000
Age Group =
Age Group Rank = 0/
Pre-race routine:

Parents came to my house, I loaded their bikes up on my car and we took off. Figured one car would be better as I had no idea what traffic at the race site (parking) would be like.
Event warmup:

None, just walked around looking at all the fancy bikes, I can't believe the millions of dollars in bikes that were there. Niether could my parents since my dad was rockin a $100 Walmart Special.
They also made the comment that they were the only "plus size" people and the only ones not in spandex. Which until about the last 5 mins when we got lined up with the other 16 milers they were pretty much right.
Bike
  • 1h 56m
  • 16 miles
  • 8.28 mile/hr
Comments:

The pace was extremely slow as this ride was not about me it was about my parents. I was pacing them and their support crew for the race as they had been working all summer for this. They built up for barely being able to ride a bike to 11 miles before the event. And they did fantastic, I am so proud of them, I know how nevrous they were before and even on the bikes as they are worried about falling but they just kept crusing. they had to walk a few hills at the end, but in fairness I'd say about 1/2 of the riders were. My parents have been the best parents in the world and it was great to get them motivated and push them to do something like this. My Mom thanked me as she broke down into tearsof happines and being proud after crossing the finish line. that is what this ride was all about.

What would you do differently?:

Nothing!
Post race
Warm down:

walked around to check out the vendors, had some free Gina Maria Pizza, YUM, I can eat pizza like no tomorrow, should have just had them give me my own!
Mom got a free massage which she enjoyed.

Event comments:

this is a great event. its not a race its a ride so if you keep that in mind its even better. very well run and organzied. Music was blasting, they had vendors there, free pizza at the end and tons of it. the rest stops were at perfect distances and well stocked, i was amazed at the effort put into this ride. The free shirt was a little lame, the graphics were nice but I don't ever wear cotton t-shirts espically in they pale yellow color but oh well.

Last updated: 2009-04-08 12:00 AM
Biking
01:56:00 | 16 miles | 8.28 mile/hr
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/2000
Performance:
Wind: Strong
Course: There are 4 distances, this was the shortest 16 mile course. First 5 miles through residential areas up to Minnetonka Jr High for rest stop #1. Take the LRT trail from there for 5 miles to downtown excelsior for rest stop #2 that joins up with the 38 mile route. From there is back to residential roads but lots and lots of hills and we are not just talking rollers.
Road: Smooth  Cadence:
Turns: Cornering:
Gear changes: Hills:
Race pace: Drinks:
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks?
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-03 12:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Minnetonka, MN
Subject: Tour de Tonka

2009-08-03 3:00 PM
in reply to: #2324417

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member
Subject: RE: Tour de Tonka

It makes for a wonderful day of experiences, always.  I hope you can come back next year - and join us on the long route!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Tour de Tonka Rss Feed