General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heel Pain - Plantar Fasciitis or Something Else? Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-09 10:02 AM

User image

Schenectady, NY
Subject: Heel Pain - Plantar Fasciitis or Something Else?
Looking for insights from fellow heel pain sufferers.... I have suffered through plantar fasciitis before, but this time the pain I am feeling is a bit different... the last time, the heel pain I experienced was on the bottom of the heel, right in the center of the heel. This time, the pain is still on the bottom of the heel, but it is spread around the outer side edges of the heel. Note - I was pain free throughtout the winter while running predominantly on a treadmill, and it wasn't until I started running 100% outside did the pain start. Concurrently, I also noticed my Asics Gel Kayanos were wearing down and I replaced them with Minuzo Wave Riders (purchased at a 'real' running shoe store where my stride was examined, etc.) which have a unique heel strike area - you guessed it - the heel area strikes the ground only on the outer edges of the heel. I do plan on going to see an MD, but am interested in anyone's insight on this one. Thanks,

2005-05-09 9:00 PM
in reply to: #154764

Rockwall, TX (Dallas area)
Subject: RE: Heel Pain - Plantar Fasciitis or Something Else?
I feel your pain. No great insights, but I've been there.

Good Luck.
2005-05-09 9:42 PM
in reply to: #154764

User image

New user

I'm a physical therapist, and have treated many patients with fasciitis and other similar problems - along with fighting through a few myself.

If it is true plantar fasciitis the majority of your symptoms will be when you wake in the morning and after a run. It is usually at the base of the heel and sometimes a bit towards the middle.

If your pain is running down the outside of the foot it may be a peroneal tendonitis. The peroneal muscles help pronate your foot. If you strike on the outside of the heel, then your peroneals may be working overtime to pronate your foot inorder to prevent the ankle from rolling. There are also many other ways that a peroneal tendonitis can develop. If it is the peroneals that are irritated then a quick stretch is to sit in a chair and cross your leg, then pull your toes upwards.

Hope all works out for you.

Edited by duer333 2005-05-09 9:46 PM
2005-05-10 8:58 AM
in reply to: #155161

User image

Schenectady, NY
Duer333 - Thanks for the notes. I'm making arrangements to see an MD, which I am sure will lead to a referral to physical therapy. To follow up on your comments, I have been told I have 'normal' pronation and when I run, I tend to strike mid-fore foot, not on the heel... does that 'fit' with peroneal tendonitis?
2005-05-11 9:52 PM
in reply to: #155275

User image

New user

there is no real "fit" as far as where you strike at initial contact. the most common involvement would be pronating or pushing towards the outside when you push-off. if you are going to a MD who has a good knowledge of running - i would suggest bringing your running shoes with you to the appointment.
in the mean time stretch (achilles if it is p.f. or crosslegged stretch i suggested) and ice regularly.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Heel Pain - Plantar Fasciitis or Something Else? Rss Feed