General Discussion Race Reports! » Huntington's Disease triathlon (Olympic) Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Huntington's Disease triathlon (Olympic) - Triathlon

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Miami, Florida
United States
92F / 33C
Sunny
Total Time = 3h 10m 15s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 10/14
Pre-race routine:

I did my pre race workout early in the am on Sat. and felt ready for the race. After a bunch of errands, I finally got my stuff in my car and went to Miami on Saturday to pick up race packet..then checked into my hotel. SPent the rest of the day hanging with friends and then chilling at my hotel. I needed to get my water bottles/fuel frozen for the race the following day and decided to ask the front desk if they could do it for me. They were great and put my bottles in a bag with a claim ticket and told me they would freeze them overnight on the 15th floor and bring them back to the front desk at 5:10 in the morning. Great, I was all set. Met friends for an early dinner then went back to sleep.
there ended up being some loud guests at the hotel on my floor and I got woken up a couple of times thruoghout the night, but in general, slept well. Since my wave was at 6:43, I woke up to eat my clif bar at 3:30 (at least I thought it said that on the clock) Got woken up awhile after eating and looked again at the clock and it said 3:23...hmmm...wonder what time I really did eat my clif bar..Got up at 5:00 and got dressed and headed to the lobby.
When I asked the front desk for my bag with my water bottles, they had no idea what I was talking aobut. no note, no person told about it...no fuel or water for me. They searched all over, but it got to ta point when I had to elave for the race. After freaking out about it, I finally left and drove to the ssite. Got my stuff to tranisition and ran into a teammate. Told him what happened and he actually had some fuel for me...not the same stuff I use ,but close enouhg..same brand...another friend lent me a water bottle with nicely chilled water ot mix my fuel..then I had another bottle I had in my car..so was all set. neer trust anyone but yourself for your fuel.lesson learned!!!

Event warmup:

After finally getting my fuel set and tranistion set up, I was going to go for a quick run, but saw how long the batheroom line was and I really needed to go. got in line, moving slow!!! Saw spectators in line!! Really, can you wait until we are on the course!!! Finally had to cut in line to go..got that out of the way and then noticed I had less than 10 minutes to start. Forget running, go swim...did a quick swim warmup and then got in starting position. very hectic morning so far!!! And not at all what my race plan dictated!!
Swim
  • 28m 59s
  • 1640 yards
  • 01m 46s / 100 yards
Comments:

My wave was men and women 30-39...yikes..never started with men before. I positioned myself behind a bunch of guys as not to get pounded on the way out. I had gotten in a groove pretty quickly nad felt great with my breathing. Aimed perfectly for the firt bouy and same for the next 2. On the last turn toward the finish, there was nothing to aim for. Got hit by a large guy that was swimming right next to me, almost pulled me under...I moved over..think that might have taken me off course.. There wasn't an actual finish line and no arch, flag, nada...I got off course a couple times..not sure if I didn't sight at all or what happened, but it definately took time off my swim.
What would you do differently?:

Figure out what to sight for for the finish so I don't go off course
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Ground was rocky..very painful for my delicate feet to run to my T-area... helmet was missing, found it on the ground at another persons tranisition area. threw on my shoes, no socks, and grabbed my garmin.

figure out what I am going to do with my garmin..maybe get a bike mount...
Bike
  • 1h 25m 51s
  • 24.85 miles
  • 17.37 mile/hr
Comments:

Ok, so I pretty much train on flat roads..with an occasional incline, but definately no hills. So, Rickenbacker was pretty intimidating to me. I knew I was going to pace myself on this and just do my best. I had mentally prepared myself the day before while driving over the causeway and pictured myself pedaling smoothly and strong as I went over the bridge. Well, it was HARD!! Wow, my legs were burning, I couldn't stand up, it burned my legs even more, I just pedaled away as people one by one passed me. I think the only people I passed were fat tire!! Heading down the other side, flying at 35 mph..scared the living shit out of me. All I could think about was hitting something that would make my tire come out from underneath me an me crashing and ugh...the thoughts that went thruogh my head..I am obvioulsly not a speed junkie! Ok, over it once..got that done, one gotta turn around and go back...This side is worse..headwind the entire time..I almost wanted to get off and walk up. But, I hung in there and got to the top..the headwind was strong so this time I was only going 23 mph down the other side...did the loop in the key and there was a decent tailwind for half of it. I didn't want to burn myself out that I ahd nothing in me for the run, so I really tried to pace myself. Repeated the course 2 more time..by the third loop over the bridge, I was in pain..my legs were severly burning, but I was so proud of myself that I made it!! One more through the key and then back to transition.

um..train on bridges :)
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

So, racked my bike, but got stuck on someones backpack that was right at his t-area..dumb! I finally got my bike in and threw on my socks and grabbed my racebelt and visor. I was off...my visor flew off my head as I was running out of transition, had to stop and go get it...

just practice more
Run
  • 1h 12m 21s
  • 6.21 miles
  • 11m 39s  min/mile
Comments:

My goal was to keep a steady pace so I didn't lose it the last few miles..I was trying not to go out too fast like i typically do. I looked at my garmin, 10:20 pace..ok, not too bad. was able to keep that up for the first 3 miles, then it starts to hit me...oh, my hamstrings start cramping. Yup, forgot to grab my endurolytes at the transtion area. Ok, so water station approaching...nothing but water...ugh...see a friend. ask them, they dont have any either. I pretty much asked all of my teammates, but no one had any :( I even started to ask other racers...none... boo...I had to walk a couple of time ,but ran as much as I could. I walked all water stations and few times in between. I knew there were not many people left on the course, but I also knew that I wasn't last :) A guy in a cart came by and asked me if I was on my 1st or 2nd loop..um..think I might have been one of the last 20 people...yaah, not my best shining moment..so I dug inside myself and ran the rest of the way...a friend met me with 400 yards to go and she ran with me the rest of the way and told me my parents were at the finish..very monumental since they don't usually come ot my race. As I finished I saw my parents there smiling and taking a ;picture with their phone..always makes me laugh that they don't have a normal camera for these moments. I finshed but big bummer, they ran out of finished medals. Luckily I have good friends and Eric gave me his..since he got a plaque for his podium fish.. so nice:)

don'r forget my endurolytes and just keep training
Post race
Warm down:

grabbed some water nad drank my recovery drink I brough with me. HA a half a bagel and an orange...

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Still need to drop some weight adn continue training...

Event comments:

I am very happy with my results considering I had only run 6 miles once before the race and that I don't train on hills. I never gave up and although there were many times i thought of doing it, I didn't. yay!

Last updated: 2009-07-17 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:28:59 | 1640 yards | 01m 46s / 100yards
Age Group: 4/14
Overall: 0/
Performance: Average
Suit:
Course: Straight out to bouy, hang a right and went straight past 2 bouts, back in on a diagonal...Not acurate finish line or flag or anything to aim for.
Start type: Run Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:40
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Good
Biking
01:25:51 | 24.85 miles | 17.37 mile/hr
Age Group: 10/14
Wind: Headwind
Course: Out of park and headed west to the Rickenbacker causeway..over, then turn right around and go back over, head to virginia key and do a loop in there, then repeat 2 more times before heading back to transition
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence: 90
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Below average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes Good
Jumping off bike Below average
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Average
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:12:21 | 06.21 miles | 11m 39s  min/mile
Age Group: 10/14
Course: Along the outside of the lake through the shaded woods, loop 2 times...
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-03 3:51 PM

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
Subject: Huntington's Disease triathlon (Olympic)

2009-08-03 5:41 PM
in reply to: #2324978

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Subject: RE: Huntington's Disease triathlon (Olympic)
Nice race! Good idea to keep those bottles in your possession, that is horrible story and glad it worked out. I don't knwo if it has been coincidence or intentional, but I have yet to experience those Key Biscayne bridges. Somehow my A-1-A training rides are not up to par with that workout.

Great to hear your folks were there. See you at Loggerhead or Lake Worth Tri hopefully.

2009-08-04 10:24 AM
in reply to: #2324978

User image

Expert
Boca Raton, FL
Subject: RE: Huntington's Disease triathlon (Olympic)
Thanks Joe,
Yeah...learned my lesson that I need to include some bridge work into my bike training...Wow, they were tough!!!

I am racing again this weekend at Loggerhead..see you there
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Huntington's Disease triathlon (Olympic) Rss Feed