General Discussion Race Reports! » Greenfield Lightlife Triathlon - International Distance Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

Greenfield Lightlife Triathlon - International Distance - TriathlonOlympic

View Member's Race Log View other race reports
Greenfield, Massachusetts
United States
Greenfield Recreation Department
72F / 22C
Overcast
Total Time = 3h 09m 18s
Overall Rank = /
Age Group = M Athena
Age Group Rank = 1/
Pre-race routine:

It has been a tough week with my Mom in the hospital. Stress is not a good way to recover from heavy training ie my epic week the week prior.

I have always heard great things about this race and it fit in this year so glad to do it.
Event warmup:

I took this race very lightly, with Mom in hospital and IM looming this doesn't seem that important. I feel fitter than I ever have and was looking forward to racing. Kevin, girls and I drove up to packet pick up arriving around 4:30, checked into Hampton, went to 99s. Had turkey club w/o mayo on wheat with white rice for dinner..worked well.

Slept great..woke up before alarm at 5:25

Ate white rice, egg whites and brown sugar for breakfast headed for race site.

Set up transition,listened to race meeting, nothing new, rode my bike about 3 miles, then did a short run..didn't feel great..fatigue from epic week/and or stress. Arrived at run start right as first wave left, off I went in 6 minutes..good warm up and nice timing.
Swim
  • 01m 18s
  • 1109 yards
  • 07s / 100 yards
Comments:

Swim canceled

Swim .6 miles in this?

We were just notified by the Greenfield Town Health officials that due to the recent heavy rains we will not be able to hold the swim portion of the triathlon. The heavy rains increase both the coliform count and the turbidity (clearness) of the water.
Transition 1
  • 00m 55s
Comments:

Ran to transition with other women, at back end of pack..no surprise. Didn't want to get my HR to high
What would you do differently?:

Good transition, but forgot to take race number off..we needed it for run #1 but it makes noise riding,took it off and put it in one of my tri top pockets.
Bike
  • 1h 44m 47s
  • 30.4 miles
  • 17.41 mile/hr
Comments:

Plan: 10' moderate then do it like TT pushing zone 4/5 whole way. My thought was to back off last loop a little so I could see if it would help me run better. From training I should be able to hold 165-180 watts for time...my power meter on my training wheel and Zipps measure slightly different.

Bike X4 with run most same but slight difference around mile 5 for about a mile

Out of transition did my cross mount..passed a bunch of women, but many all started to hammer hard and go hard up the hill, I down shifted and spun up plenty of race ahead of me.

Rode with goal to keep watts even..and not spike going up hills which means a VI (variability index) of as close to 1.0 as possible. Folks pass me up hills but on crest and down hill I pass many of them back. I kept my watts pretty even with VI of 1.05 with ~1000 feet of climbing per 7.56 miles...very pleased.

I was riding my cassette I plan to use in Canada..weird brand 11-34..10 speed cassette so in my compact I can ride up 34-34 and spin at 70-80 rpm up 18% grade hills. For you that don't know most of you probably ride maybe 12-27..so I had equal to 7 easier gears. I had plenty of practice climbing hills.

end of hill but goes right and continues on

Rode did my thing, found first loop was easier than I thought driving the course. Ate every 20' with beeps.

As I finished my first loop a men's sprint was starting..so there are 20 guys mounting their bikes slowly on left and I had to maneuver to pass them on the left as this stretch I was probably going 23mph? Hit the hill and they all pass me back, but I thought I'll catch you back and many I did.

I had ongoing conversation with police and volunteers each loop.

Loop 2 felt pretty good..saw family again and was even smiling

Moving so fast up hill the background is blurry..my cassette makes such a difference.

Loop 3 had to pee so I did, checking behind me, water bottles not good at spraying to rinse off.

Loop 4 could see my power was off a little...I'm thinking not fully recovered from epic week, knowing run is ahead, stress about my Mom, plus lack of focus played in here. I dropped my chain over my big chain ring and had to stop and put it back on..probably took 25 seconds.

Saw my family one last time on the bike, really like this bike course incredibly beautiful mostly farm area. Back 3.4 miles I could do 3 miles under 8 minutes..each loop was ~24 minutes so the other 4.4 miles took 16 minutes.

I just rode, did my plan best I could, and enjoyed being able to ride fast and conquer those hills 4x...I felt really strong.

Hit my cadence dead on..I've changed from spinner to having 80-85 feeling comfortable.

Every 20' 20 grams malt

Entire workout (156 watts):
Duration: 1:45:14
Work: 979 kJ
TSS: 163.8 (intensity factor 0.969)
Norm Power: 165
VI: 1.06
Pw:HR: 5.14%
Pa:HR: 0.42%
Distance: 30.401 mi
Min Max Avg
Power: 0 380 156 watts
Heart Rate: 128 157 146 bpm
Cadence: 32 163 82 rpm
Speed: 2.2 33.3 17.4 mph

Loop 1 & 2 NP 175-very good for me
Loop 3 NP 162
Loop 4 NP 155

Not ideal pacing but backing off was part of the plan...lack of focus at times.

4@22grams of malt=88 grams of carbs 2 Lava Salts

Focus better

Given what I had today, did best I could. Nice power for first 50'
Transition 2
  • 01m 25s
Comments:

Remembered to take Pitt stop out of my rear pocket and take HR strap off

Methodical and good

Happy with how I did
Run
  • 1h 20m 53s
  • 7.2 miles
  • 11m 14s  min/mile
Comments:

Run was very interesting for me. Front half of course is mostly up hill back half down. I'm not sure what was up first half of the race as I ran slowly..felt okay just was off and not able to push myself. Starts with a big hill then I just think I got stuck into my long comfortable run pace that I've practiced a lot.

As normal women start passing me as soon as I start running some fly by others slightly faster. I compete against me, but it is always a bit depressing. I learned today that the negative thoughts I have effect my running. How can I expect to do my best when I'm having negative feeling about my abilities.

I tried using my mental training I've been working on. I started breathing deeply and thought out with the negative as I breathed out and as I breathed in, in with the positive. Other thing I repeated over and over in my head was, I'm strong; I'm fit, I'm an Ironman must of repeated that thousand times over and over in my head. Sounds a bit dorky I know but honestly just focusing on what I was doing and not allowing negative thoughts to stay in my head gradually changed my mental outlook. Often, no normally I count down the miles and time I have to do and suffer through it. Gradually my mind went neutral then I just enjoyed being outdoors running in a beautiful place.

I still was doing slow IM pace run and I needed nature break..worked in my head pee while running or find a place to go..opted to go in this little dead end..yep could have been seen from the road but only took 33 seconds....felt so much better.

Other mantra I repeated was I'm here, I'm now and I'm present no thinking about other stuff...what was done in race, worrying about my Mom, no stay right now.

I knew my family was just passed the covered bridge and about a mile down the road and was looking forward to encouraging words and connecting with them knowing it would energize me. I made up my mind to get up the big hill then try to go as fast as I could and see what I could do. Came into the bridge and it was tough to run on as boards were uneven..but was looking forward to being with my family.

Through the covered bridge knowing soon I'll see my family and get a big mental boost.

I goofed around a bit with Kevin who ran up the hill taking pictures of me and someone was teasing me that I had my own paparazzi

The switch back hill was covered with paint which was fun to read while I climbed the hill or ran and walked up it

It was odd, at the top of the hill I started picking up the pace and felt good so I kept trying to go faster and I could which surprised me. What was new for me I was working hard but it felt almost effortless both mentally and physically it was just was. I was able to run faster and was surprised how fast I was running. It's hard to explain how it felt, but it was something I have never experienced in running in a tri before. I started to get choked up as the experience was so amazed and a bit sad that this would soon be over. I knew I had more in me to go longer at that pace and was curious what all I could do.

Both time and distance left my mind but a fleeting thought..just felt really good and strong. It is hard to explain what happened as it was new to me.

I was able to pick up pace to finish running in the 8's...started wheezing so asthma was good until final push to the finish.

Lap Data
Lap Time Distance Pace/Speed
1 12m 22s 1.00 miles 12m 22s /mile hill
2 11m 42s 1.00 miles 11m 42s /mile
3 11m 47s 1.00 miles 11m 47s /mile
4 01m 38s 0.13 miles 12m 29s /mile
5 00m 33s 0.02 miles 32m 49s /mile nature break
6 11m 07s 0.85 miles 13m 04s /mile huge hill
7 10m 46s 1.00 miles 10m 46s /mile
8 09m 41s 1.00 miles 09m 41s /mile
9 09m 57s 1.00 miles 09m 57s /mile
10 01m 32s 0.18 miles 08m 31s /mile

3@ 15 grams of malt on run with 1.5 Lava Salts

Cloud cover was kind to help me run better

I'm thrilled with back half of the run. I got to a place both mentally and physically I've never been before. I realize I could have gone harder first half the run, but live and learn. In all my years doing tris I've never experienced this before and felt so strong in a run like I did today...I learned a lot about myself. Progress finally!!!

Running is more mental than I realized. The positive mantras I repeated over and over and not allowing negative thought to stay and then not to come, helped me do better. Going forward runs need to a positive place which can be hard when so many folks pass me and it can be easy to feel that I suck..feeling that I suck doesn't allow me to do my best. Positive thinking going forward on runs...
Post race
Warm down:

Finished headed into transition to find almost all the bikes gone. Found my family and then made my recovery drink. Packed up my area, Kevin went to get car and the girls and I headed over to area with awards and food.

I also need to accept me for me and be okay with me..and I think I'm getting better at that.

In scheme of those competing I'm not competitive but I had fun out there challenging myself and I do see positive gains in my fitness in various ways..not perfectly executed race but good and learning experience.

Ate and waited around for awards..sprint and Oly men's went super slow and rain came so they announced all Oly women in 60". Won Master Athena..not super competitive division..won a cool mug..so this year I'm 6 for 6 how odd is that. I do this for me getting hardware is a nice bonus..but changes nothing how I feel about myself.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Lack of focus loop 3-4 on bike and first 4 miles on run but given what's going on with my Mom I'll give myself a pass on being hard on myself.

Cool things about this race:
~I had fun
~ I found a place running never been before and it was awesome..I want some more
~ I wasn't hard on me (harshly judging) sounds odd but I tend to be disappointed in how I do when I see how I low I place in the scheme of triathlete...only ~35 women did it and there were maybe 5 my age or older...I'm growing to see this more as a challenge against me and how I stack up doesn't really matter..this is key to enjoying this sport for a lifetime
~ I'd love to have this type of race experience over and over..had fun, did my best, learned quite a few things and my kids were proud of me
~ how we live and the actions we do as parents are what our kids really learn from not what we say...I'm proud my kids see me living healthy in a positive way

Event comments:

Great location, very family friendly, small race with both a sprint and oly distance race, nice post race food, easy for family to spectate and parking is easy. Staying at Hampton Inn was 2 miles from race site and easy.

Nice race...will do it again.

Last updated: 2009-04-02 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:01:18 | 1109 yards | 07s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course: Really was short run to transition as swim was canceled
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 00:55
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:44:47 | 30.4 miles | 17.41 mile/hr
Wind:
Course: 7.4 mile loop course moderate hill to start First 4 miles mostly up hill cover bridge followed by nasty hill with switch backs Last 3.2 mostly down hill and fast farms in Western Ma...beautiful course
Road:  Dry Cadence: 82
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:25
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
01:20:53 | 07.2 miles | 11m 14s  min/mile
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-03 9:42 PM

User image

Champion
MA
Subject: Greenfield Lightlife Triathlon - International Distance

2009-08-04 6:53 AM
in reply to: #2325668

User image

Master
Millersville, MD
Subject: RE: Greenfield Lightlife Triathlon - International Distance
Aw crap I just typed a bit long response and then the BT gremlins ate it.  The gist of it was:

1) congrats
2) my view that you RECOGNIZED the fitness that has been increasing for some time.  I recall many blog entries regarding frustrations over the significant training investment with apparent minimal returns.  Seems the interest has been compounding, if I can stick with that metaphor... and you just got your first statement in the mail!
3) more congrats
4) encouragement to keep this performance in your mind when the self doubt demons rear their ugly heads in the future
5) congrats.
2009-08-04 9:18 AM

User image

Master
Chilliwack, BC

Nice race.

The pics are awesome.

Congrats on racing a great race!!

Keep it up!

2009-08-04 9:32 AM

User image

, North Carolina

So nice to see you enjoy the race and reap the benefits of your hard work.  Congratulations!  Love the pictures you've included and your awesome family who supports you every step of the way.  You are totally ready for Canada!

2009-08-04 11:12 AM

User image

Royal(PITA)
West Chester, Ohio

Awesome.  Love your personal paparazzi photos   Kevin is a great sherpa/photographer.

Also love the positive self talk on the run.  Learning to focus on our own race and not what anyone else is doing is a chore.

2009-08-04 4:31 PM

User image

Champion
Calgary
AWESOME race report. Love the pictures.

Talk about a breakfast of champions though. Wow. MMMMM, I love brown sugar. Made some blueberry muffins this weekend with brown sugar, no fat, to die for.....

But I digress, well done, clearly shaping up for IMC.

2009-08-04 7:12 PM

User image

Master
San Diego, CA
Great race Kathy!! You're the resident BT hardware rockstar this year!! Congrats. I love the pictures of you and the family.  I hope the next few weeks go really well for you and the family and you continue on your route to IM Canada.
2009-08-04 7:30 PM

Uxbridge
Congrats Kathy....another great race. I knew you would do it

2009-08-04 7:35 PM

User image

Master
Hingham, Ma

Don't you qualify as a Pro now?  6/6.   You look great BTW.  It's not just the great photos by Kevin.  I am getting really excited for IMC.  

2009-08-06 10:13 AM

User image

Champion
Williamston, Michigan

Congratulations   WOOHOO I'm so happy for you that you are HAPPY

2009-08-25 9:15 PM

User image

Veteran
Victoria, BC
I looked up your "other races" after I browsed the Canada IM in Penticton race. Congratulations on the realizations you had en route. We never really do race against anyone but ourselves (at least, not at my level!) but we can be our most formidable foes. And sometimes we talk ourselves right out of the game. You've got a spectacular race record ... I have a mere two Sprints and one Olympic but am considering challenging a Half Iron next year ... I have learned (in nearly 50 years of livin') that whatever we tell ourselves WE WILL BELIEVE so we need to be darned careful about what we listen to. Especially ourselves, because what we tell us carries more weight than almost anyone else, especially when it is negative. Negative self-talk can outweight ten friends/family members giving us positive reinforcement. I applaud your triathlon lifestyle, and think you have made very healthy choices for yourself. And always remember, even incremental improvement is still improvement, and miles ahead of anyone who says "I can't" before they even try. Or Tri. Well done!!!!!! You inspire me...

2009-08-26 4:23 PM
in reply to: #2370752

User image

Champion
, Minnesota
Bronze member

Great job!  The course looked beautiful and I loved the pictures.  Extra congratulations on your work with the negative self-talk - I find that component to be exceptionally difficult.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Greenfield Lightlife Triathlon - International Distance Rss Feed