Canada
22C / 72F
Precipitation
Total Time = 4h 53m 20s
Overall Rank = 10/14
Age Group = 25-29
Age Group Rank = 3/3
Pre-race routine:

Woke up at 5am to have the standard breakfast 3h before the start, packed my sh*t and went to the site, which was less than a half mile from the hotel (I was happy about that after the race) by 6h30. Goody bag... what's that?? The t-shirt is... you know... the same freakin' color as the socks of the yellow socks brigade members. One thing was clearly lacking in that non-event of a bag, a transition zone plan. It got EVERYBODY confused, especially about the exit of T1 and wether there was some specified racks for the HIM and Du plus or not. I moved my transition when they confirmed we had some specific racks. I was lucky to have a good spot.
Event warmup:

5-7min of light jogging. I knew I would start relatively slow and that there was a long ahead so that was enough. For the day, I was shooting at 48-51min for the first run, a bike of roughy 3h and a second run that would be 5-6min slower than the first for a total that would be about 4h40 / 4h45.
Run
  • 48m 13s
  • 10 kms
  • 04m 49s  min/km
Comments:

As we got to the starting line, the uncertain weather became very certain, we would race under the rain. I thought "What the h*ll!! I ran in a hailstorm and biked under the rain on purpose to see how it feels. I am ready for this!" We ran in a pack of three for the first 6k or so as the rain kept increasing. We chatted a bit about some insignificant sh*t. Example: Me: Where are your glasses? You started with some, didn't you? Isabel: In my tank top... couldn't see sh*t. At one point, I was dropped by the two others, which was fine, it's a long race anyway. I took a gel after ~7k, the remainder of the run was just a fun, easy run.
What would you do differently?:

Nothing. Executed like planned. I knew I could be DFL for the first run, and I was.
Transition 1
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Let the fun begin! The transition zone was already a swamp when we got there the first time. Good thing I chose not to run with the shoes, the cleats would have been full of mud. Getting on the bike was ok until I tried passing the second leg over the bottles. I kicked one of them and had to come back and get it while a volunteer was telling me that I was going the wrong way. NO SH*T! Getting in the shoes was fine but it took some time to attach them due to many factors. I passed Isabel in the transition zone but she passed me again when I had to turnaround and grab the bottle.

I don't know, maybe use some smaller bottles that I would not kick off the wing? Change the angle of the wing so that it is lower?

Bike
  • 2h 59m 37s
  • 90 kms
  • 30.06 km/hr
Comments:

Passed Isabel for good soon after starting pedaling for real. At first the glutes seemed a bit stiff but it settled rapidly and I was feeling good in the pouring rain. The nutrition plan was to eat either a gel or some chomps every 30 min and I focussed on that. At about 30k, as I was reaching for the Chomps in my pocket, I hit a pretty big bump. For some reason, most of my weight was the end of the extension and the impact made it move out of alignment. Within five minutes, I was feeling some strain in the neck caused by that. For a few minutes, I thought it could become a lllooonnnggg ride. Luckilly, Bruce (Dickinson) was with me (Note to self, 3 days before a race, only listen to Iron Maiden). So I was signing classics such as Run to the hills and Heaven can wait while going downhill at a ridiculous speed without seeing anything. Oh, don't get mistaken, I chickened quite a few downhills and got out of aero. It just wasn't worth risking the race for that minute or so I lost. At about 40k, another bump ejected a bottle from the wing, obviously it was the full one, but it remembered me to drink frequently as it is not as natural under the rain. Soon came the turnaround where I grabbed two bottles. They were unstable in my cages so I put one in my tank and put the other in the aerodrink as soon as possible. Even doing that wasn't enough. The one in the wing got ejected and I had to come back for it. When I unclipped to grab it, my right calf instantly started cramping. It was the first sign I could be in trouble later so I was extra extra careful on hydration and nutrition, there wasn't much more I could do. I knew that the hill at 70k would be a killer, and I thank the guy that passed me in the middle of that hill, having him just in front really kept me focussed in the moment instead of the "Oh my god this freakin' hurt and I'll have to run 10k after that! F*ck off!!! Let's walk home!" that can happen when things become tough. I also have to thank the guy that offered his allen keys to get the aerobars level. He didn't have the right size though.

Do more hills in training & probably eat more on the bike. The stomach was great the whole time. It could have handled more calories... I think.
Transition 2
  • 01m 34s
Comments:

Since my spot was about 50 feet from the dismount line, I chose to unclip & run with the shoes. Good decision.

Nothing
Run
  • 1h 02m 19s
  • 10 kms
  • 06m 14s  min/km
Comments:

The first 3k were all right, a little on the slow side compared to my goal but I was totally fine with 5m30/km. The legs were stiff but not too painful and the upper back/neck was surprisingly flexible given the aerobar incident. At 4k, the plunge started. I wasn't in pain, but I had no energy whatsoever! Nothing! Nada! Niet! Welcome to Bonktown! I was struggling to keep a reasonable cadence but with a baby stride instead of the normal one. I decided to walk the aid station (that had been abandonned by the volunteers because of the rain) and I probably walked 3-4 times ~30sec in the uphills. I was feeling hot even though the rain should have made me cooler, weird. After the last aid station, I grabbed myself to run the last k to the finish. Once I had my chip removed, I was searching for some water and feeling very dizzy, but the water was nowhere in sight. I managed to bring my dizzy a$$ and just lied on the rack next to my bike for a good 7-8 min until I could manage to drink and eat a clif bar. I could tell one of the volunteers was pretty worried about me.

Bring something to eat on the second run of such a long event.
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down?? What does that mean? I could barely stay on my feet. I went to change clothes than went to grab some lunch, chatted with those that were next to me in transition, grabbed some lunch, chatted, grabbed some lunch, see a pattern? It's been 36 hours since the end of the race. Since then, I ate enough to feed a midsize african village for 2 to 3 days.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Nutrition? More hills in training?

Event comments:

Aside from a very challenging course and a good lunch, I have no congrats for the race director and his team.

Last updated: 2009-05-24 12:00 AM
Running
00:48:13 | 10 kms | 04m 49s  min/km
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 14/14
Performance: Good
Out: 23m51 Back: 24m22
Course: Rolling hills all the way except for the first and last k that were flat. There were two significant hills other were just small ups and downs.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
T1
Time: 01:34
Overall: Below average
Run with bike? Good
Jump on bike? Bad
Getting up to speed and into shoes: Below average
Biking
02:59:37 | 90 kms | 30.06 km/hr
Overall: 8/14
Performance: Good
Out: 1h25m07 Back: 1h34m30 I don't think the difference in split is because of "me going slower/easier" but much more because the turnaround is closer to sea level than the start/finish.
Wind: Little
Course: Very challenging with one short & extra steep hill at ~25k, one long & sustained climb at ~70km and lots of rollers and false flats.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Average Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Not enough
T2
Time: 01:34
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Average
Running with bike Average
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
01:02:19 | 10 kms | 06m 14s  min/km
Overall: 12/14
Performance: Bad
Out: 28m23 Back:33m56
Course: Same as first run
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Too hard
Organized? No
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No
Plenty of drinks? No
Post race activities: Below average
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-08-03 11:01 PM

User image

Veteran
Montréal
Subject: Duathlon plus ste-agathe

2009-08-04 6:09 AM
in reply to: #2325794

User image

Elite
Quebec, Canada
Subject: RE: Duathlon plus ste-agathe
Wow ca avait pas l'air facile. Félicitation pour avoir continuer et passé a travers bonktown

Good job Etienne!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Duathlon plus ste-agathe Rss Feed