vineman.com
82F / 28C
Sunny
Total Time = 12h 24m 32s
Overall Rank = 158/683
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 39/114
Pre-race routine:

Did a 2 day drive from Phoenix to Sonoma. Started out by driving to Pismo Beach, a night stay in Morro Bay, and then up to Santa Rosa.

Race morning, drove down to the race site, the Russian River in Guerneville. I gathered my t1 gear and bike and went down to the race site. Dropped off my special needs bike bag, hit the restroom, and headed over to put on my wetsuit and finish setting up T1. Right then I realized... I left my swim goggles in the truck. There wasn't time to head back to the truck before the start so I muttered a "crap" then loudly said "does anyone have an extra set of goggles?" Well, standing next to me, the guy who had racked his bike right next to mine looked at me. Then he looked at the ground and said "it is your lucky day." I peered down by his feet and there sat 2 sets of goggles. "I am trying to decide whether to use the tinted goggles or the clear ones" he stated... "you can use the other set."
Event warmup:

Got in the water and checked to see that the goggles fit well. The fit just fine. They were speedo goggles with a blue tint and fit perfectly around my eye sockets. I then swam a few strokes and then treaded water for about a minute before the start.
Swim
  • 1h 25m 51s
  • 3862 meters
  • 02m 13s / 100 meters
Comments:

I began the swim quite well, avoiding any flailing arms and feet. (Some who know me will remember I got a nasty cut and black eye at IMAZ April '08)

Just after going under the 2 bridges I did have a guy put up a little tustle as we bumped into each other. He seemed to try to push off me and as I looked over at him I realized my feet touched down, so I stepped away, walked a few steps and then proceed with the swim.

At the turn, nearly everyone walks at the buoy as you can walk with the current. I did so as well and shook my arms out then proceeded with the swim. I had one zig zag off to the right side during this part with the current behind me, otherwise swam well.

When I neared the end of the first loop, I sighted the red buoy and as I neared it and prepared to go around it only to find that there was another red buoy. So I swam to it and turned and swam the 2nd loop, sighting very well with no zigs and no zags.
What would you do differently?:

I might swim a little harder against the current. I swam quite well (for me) missing my best IM swim time by just over a minute. Take away the buoy confusion and the zig zag on the first loop and I may have had it.
Transition 1
  • 04m 7s
Comments:

After crossing the time mat, the wetsuit strippers removed my suit. My bike was nearby on the rack. Saw the guy I borrowed goggles from. Thanked him and then placed them in his bag. Put my bike shoes on... still had my cap on... took it off and then put my headband on to keep sweat out of my eyes. Put my helmet on and I was off.

There was a line of bikes to exit T1 and it is just a quick moving line. There is also a hill that you can run up or bike. Most run up it and start riding at the top... I did so as well.

Maybe have a towel there as I had some dirt on my feet. I did a quick brush but still had some dirt on them when I put the shoes on.

Swim faster so there aren't as many people ahead of me and I can then exit T1 more quickly.
Bike
  • 5h 45m 31s
  • 112 miles
  • 19.45 mile/hr
Comments:

I had already decided that I was not going to hammer the bike like I have in the past. Told myself there is no time to make up... just race and feel comfortable. The pace I decided on was 20 mph. This allowed me to gradually pass people as well.

The bike starts in Guerneville and weaves through some tight roads taking you to the loop. A little in the ride, there was a crash... at the crash site the USAT official stopped his motorcycle in the middle of the road and nearly caused a pile up of other racers. (would later find out that the crash involved a BTer as he got his tire wedged in a crack down causing the crash).

After making it through the crash area I kept riding along and had 2 guys that were yo-yoing back and forth with me as we passed many other riders. Then a really good looking girl rode by. I had a thought to go with her... but then said nope... keep on the plan to ride a even pace.

As I made it 20 miles into the bike the first aid station was coming up. At this point the USAT official decided he was thirsty as well and cut in front of me to grab water at the aid station. I missed water because of this but didn't let that bother me. I knew the next aid station was 10 miles down the road and I had plenty of water and heed left to make it there.

At every aid station from there on, I would get water, place it upside down balancing it in my aero bottle. Then I would grab a banana, put it in my mouth and squeeze the water in the aero bottle and quickly discard it. At a couple of aid stations I grabbed gatorade for my cage too.

I rode along and climbed chalk hill very well. Stayed in the saddle and span nice circles up the hill. As I was finishing the first loop I noticed that my front tire was getting mushy. I noticed that it had less than desired pressure earlier in the race but it wasn't mushy at that point. It had been slowly leaking air and was down to 40 psi. I had to slow as I made turns but knew that special needs was just a little bit down the road.

When I got to special needs, they asked if I needed my bag and I simply asked if they had a pump. The guy ran to his car and pulled the pump out and inflated my tire like a full service gas station. That was nice! Will my tire pressure back up I started riding along and could take the turns faster. Nice!

Kept the pace consistent and kept passing riders as I cruised along. I kept smiling during this ride and really enjoyed it. When I got about 85 miles in, I was still feeling good and felt like I had rid the demons I had in my head from last years debacle at mile 88 of the bike. I also came up on that girl that I decided not to chase earlier on and she had blown up a little.

Then Chalk Hill came up again. I went up it very well again but it was certainly tougher the 2nd time around. Stayed in the saddle but almost rose up. I had just seen another rider standing up on the climb and how much energy he was wasting. When I passed him he said "great climbing" to me and I simply said "just spinning circles in the saddle." Because of that I stayed down and tried to keep my pedal strokes as smooth as possible.

I rode the rest of the course and then cruised in to the high school/T2.

I must also say that my Argon carbon frame made the ride a lot more comfortable than last year on the aluminum Fuji.

Somebody was able to pace himself. Miracles do happen as I normally and especially last year... go hard on the bike trying to make time.

The pacing allowed me to have my fastest IM bike split by 3 minutes(6 bike splits thus far)... 15 minutes faster than last year where I rode a real fast first loop and then cracked 88 miles into the bike. Not the same this year as I held a consistent pace the whole way through.

I was slowed slightly by the gradually lowering pressure in my front tire to 40 psi... and the stop at special needs to air it up. Great call not stopping earlier though as the tube was good. The valve just didn't seal and that caused the slow leak. I also stopped at the aid station before chalk hill... very short stop to make sure I had all of the aid I needed as there was a gap of 17 miles until the next station. 2 wise moves! :)
Transition 2
  • 03m 11s
Comments:

Good transition. Had to pee really bad though... actually caused me to speed up a bit.

Did fine!
Run
  • 5h 05m 50s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 11m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

Started out the run feeling really good. Didn't feel the effects of the bike at all and took off with my plan of running the flats and downhills while walking up the hills and at the aid stations.

The plan worked well for the first half of the first loop. At that point, I had a new friend that was doing his first IM. I basically started mentoring him along. We kept motoring along but were walking a little more than just the aid stations and hills but not too much more.

The second lap was powered by Oreos. I ate an Oreo at each of the first 3 aid stations and then again at the 6th aid station. When we got to just over a mile from the end of the lap he said he felt his fingers tingling so I told him to walk and I went off.

I ran the rest of the second lap and then started the third lap off running after eating another Oreo with some Gatorade at the aid station. I was glad to have 2 lap bracelets and took off running. My running pace had really slowed though. I started walking a little more but did keep on running some. I tried and tried for the whole third lap to get my knees higher to pick my pace up. Then after the turn around I kept thinking about how at some other IM races I have done, I got a finish line trot going with a good pace. I would try to get this going over and over again but never could get the motor running. Saw breaking the 12 hour mark go away from me and then a new PR mark went away as well. I didn't care though as I kept putting a smile on as I really enjoyed the race.

Because of near heat stroke at the end of June, I only mustered up 21 miles of running in July. It was the hottest July on record in Arizona so I was just doing short runs in the gym on the treadmill. Really needed at least a little better training if I expected to run well.
Post race
Warm down:

At 2 veggie burgers and then went to the shuttle to get my truck. Came back and ate 2 burgers and 1 veggie burger and a bowl of chicken soup.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The run.

Event comments:

I did a real good job exorcising the monkey from my back where he had rested since this race last year. I felt the redemption throughout the race. I raced much more intelligently than I have in the past and it paid off. I was in better shape going into the race last year but racing smart and according to plan worked much better.

This is a great race. I really like the course and it is a really well run race.

Last updated: 2008-11-27 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:25:51 | 3862 meters | 02m 13s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/114
Overall: 0/683
Performance: Good
Suit: zoot sleeveless wetsuit
Course: The swim course is an 2 loops of a out & back course which starts in front of the dam at Johnson’s Beach and proceeds upstream stream to the turn-around point.
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 04:07
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
05:45:31 | 112 miles | 19.45 mile/hr
Performance: Good
Wind: Some
Course: The 112 mile point-to-point bike portion of the Full Vineman passes through the heart of Sonoma County’s wine country. Shortly after beginning the ride beneath the redwoods in Guerneville, it is off through miles and miles of vineyards! Dozens of wineries and literally hundreds of vineyards line the Vineman bike course. The bike begins at Johnson’s Beach in Guerneville and finishes at Windsor High School. The gently rolling hills are challenging, but not overwhelming. Chalk Hill, the largest hill on the course is approximately 385 feet above sea level at its crest. The bike course begins at approximately 50 feet above sea level and ends at approximately 100 feet above sea level.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 03:11
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
05:05:50 | 26.2 miles | 11m 40s  min/mile
Performance: Below average
Course: The 26.2 mile Full Vineman run course is a 3 loop rolling course. 3 out and back loops. Rolling hills with a couple of steep ones.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-04 3:09 AM

User image

Mesa
Subject: Vineman Full Ironman

2009-08-04 10:21 AM
in reply to: #2325960

User image

Master
Goodyear, AZ
Subject: RE: Vineman Full Ironman

Awesome race report- well done! Glad you had such a great race. Sounds like you were right on target for everything. Oreos on the run..yum! That's my kind of fuel!

Conrats on anotehr super IM performance!

2009-08-04 10:55 AM

User image

Official BT Coach
Englewood, CO

Nice job Andy.  Glad you flicked the Monkey off your back.  THat is a great bike split!

2009-08-04 11:21 AM

Pro
AZ
Great job pacing yourself on the bike! And look! It paid off!!! Awesome job all around!
2009-08-04 12:06 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Phoenix, AZ

Great job Andy! Nice work racing smart and fueling up on Oreo's!!

2009-08-04 12:44 PM

User image

Elite
Phoenix, AZ
Congrats, Andy. You had a great race. It sounds like you were in full control the entire day. That's huge!

2009-08-04 2:57 PM

User image

Expert
Tempe
Silver member

Congrats on a well-paced race, and thanks for the well-written race report! Great job on staying in the saddle on Chalk Hill and conserving energy for the second loop. Loved the part about being fueled by Oreos on the run!

2009-08-05 10:34 AM

User image

Expert
Big Bear City, California
Awesome race Andy. Man you are starting to make the IM distance sound like an olympic though.
2009-08-05 12:07 PM

User image

Regular
Tempe
Still amazed by your performance and recovery.  Great job up there and good luck for Silverman preparation. 
2009-08-05 12:20 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Ft. Myers, Florida
Great job!!  Glad the goggle situation worked out for the swim, you were extremely disciplined sticking with your plan and making smart decisions on the bike and then helped out a first timer on the run.  Sounds to me like you had an awesome day.
2009-08-05 6:18 PM

User image

Expert
Congrats on a great race. Well prepared and well executed. And thanks for the nice RR.

It was fun to hear someone acknowledge my BT jersey out on the run course.

2009-08-05 8:01 PM

New user
Good job!  I'm sure i saw you out there (#323), as our splits were close to the same, and the things you saw on the bike, I saw as well.
2009-08-06 8:18 AM

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-08-06 2:30 PM

Extreme Veteran
AZ

Great race report Andy.  The Vineman gods were definitely shining on you that day! 

2009-08-06 6:53 PM

Extreme Veteran
Sherman Oaks, CA

congratulations!! great race report!

2009-08-07 6:05 PM

Champion
MA
Great job and congratulations on well executed race!

Fun to see how you have learned from past races and used that to improve.

Hope you are recovering well

2009-08-07 8:17 PM

Master
Vista, CA

Nice race RR and great pacing yourself. I did Barb's that day and it's a lovely course. I bet you really enjoyed the cooler temps. Congratulations!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vineman Full Ironman Rss Feed