General Discussion Triathlon Talk » QUESTION about 1/2 IM Training Program Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2005-05-09 1:58 PM

User image

Davis,CA
Subject: QUESTION about 1/2 IM Training Program
Has anyone used the beginner 1/2 IM Training Program posted on this site? Did it provide a successful preparation?

Seems reasonable, yet maybe too lite. Bike hours especially seem low.

2005-05-09 2:06 PM
in reply to: #154951

User image

Pro
Vancouver, BC
Subject: RE: QUESTION about 1/2 IM Training Program
I am using it and I am beginning week 6 today. It seems to be working great for me so far and I feel like I have a much stronger base than when I began the program.

I do usually cycle more than the program states though because I have been cycling for a while and was already doing quite a bit more than the distances in the plan. So I usually do a 3+ hour long ride each week instead of 2 hours. I think you can adapt the plan to suit you.

Jen
2005-05-09 2:48 PM

User image

Expert
Colchester, CT

I'm using right now as well.  I've got 7 weeks left of it before the race.  So far everything has been managable with just enough to feel like you're working hard, but not enough to where it's overwhelming.  Personally, the hours are just about right for me.  I don't have much time to workout except in the early morning before work, and during lunch time, and one day on the weekends for a long training session.  So far I've been able to get all the workouts in without affecting family life to much. 

Coming from a running background, I found the running kind of light, so I just bumped up the miles to where I felt comfortable.  If you think the bike hours are low, customize it to fit your needs.

Chris

2005-05-09 3:09 PM

User image

Not a Coach
Media, PA

I know there are people who have used the plan successfully here, so hopefully they'll chime in.  I am using it to prep for an Oly at then end of June.  Then, about 10 weeks or so later I am targeting a 1/2.  I don't have my post-Oly plans firmed up yet, but one of the things I would like to do is lengthen my long bikes more than called for in the plan--for my pre-race confidence if nothing else. 

Overall, the plan has gotten me to the point that I feel confident enough to attempt a 1/2 this year.

2005-05-09 4:35 PM

User image

Davis,CA
Thanks for the input. I am going to add a little bikng ala carte to the program.

2005-05-09 4:59 PM
in reply to: #155043

User image

Elite
Austin, TX
Gold member
I'm doing the half plan for my Oly in 3 weeks. Then I'll start it again for the 1/2 I'm planning on later this year.

2005-05-10 5:33 AM

User image

Veteran
, Zurich
Depending on your current fitness and race goals, some of the training elements may be low in hours. The main focus of the plan was to get someone prepared to cover the distance comfortably, but if your goals are higher or your fitness is not being challenged, by all means increase distance and/or intensity.

Some factors:
1. I recommend increasing length/intensity of a particular workout, not adding additional workouts.

2. Look at your individual strengths and weaknesses and figure out where additional time would be best spent. (example: would a longer bike be more benfitial than a more intense workout of the original duration?)

3. Add time only if you're keeping up with all the other workouts...consistency of the plan will benefit more than adding an extra hour to some bike sessions then skipping days(especially in the sports that you might not like as well--I'm guilty of this!)

Good luck in your race prep!
Scott
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » QUESTION about 1/2 IM Training Program Rss Feed