General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Olympic Distance, what do you think... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-04 2:04 PM

User image

Expert
Subject: First Olympic Distance, what do you think...
I just finished my first Sprint last weekend.  To make a long story short I am hooked but would like to have a better experience next time.  So I was turned onto this event in Indy that is either a Sprint (500/12.5/3.1) or an Olympic(1500/25/6.2).  I finished the Sprint in 1:45ish (times not published) and although I am not exactly fast particularly on the run I felt pretty good at the end. 

I have never run more than 4 miles in one trip but I have biked and swam those distances and once time in the back to back.  I also understand that I can always walk part of the run but I am still nervous about it.  One other thing is that this is an open water in a canal that is 4 feet deep and 40 feet wide.  I have never swam in open water before and likely won't have the chance prior to the event. 

Obviously I am not looking for some definative answer to this question I am just trying to talk myself into doing the Olympic since I was able to finish the Sprint without a terrible outing other than not properly hydrating prior to and during which caused my calf to cramp as soon as I began to run.  But I worked it out after a brief stop to stretch.

No idea what to do...

BTW...the event is in 2 weeks.

Edited by Batlou 2009-08-04 2:05 PM

2009-08-04 2:08 PM
in reply to: #2327524

User image

Sneaky Slow
Herndon, VA,
Subject: RE: First Olympic Distance, what do you think...
If you've never run more than 4 miles, never swam in open water, and you describe finishing the sprint as "not a terrible outing," it's pretty unlikely that you are going to have a better experience in an Olympic in two weeks.

You could probably finish, but you said you wanted a better experience.  Not likely at this point.  Likely in the future, if you train for it properly.

eta: I looked through your training, and it looks like the most mileage you have on the bike in a week is 26 miles, at least since you've been logging.  I really don't recommend the Oly for you in 2 weeks.

Edited by newleaf 2009-08-04 2:15 PM
2009-08-04 2:12 PM

Akron, OH
How far from now is the race?  If it's anytime soon, I'd stick with the sprint.

I doubt your calf cramped from hydration issues during a sprint race unless it was 100 degrees or something.  It probably cramped do to the work load on it.  Almost impossible to get dehydrated that quickly. 

Anyway.  If you've never run more than 4 miles I'd stick with the sprint and work on getting faster and putting more miles on the bike and running shoes.  I'm not saying you can't finish, you probably can, but why?   Personally, I would stick to the sprint until I had trained adequately for the Oly.  Just my .02  Certainly, you're call.
2009-08-04 2:19 PM

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

Ha - Batlou I had the same feelings.  For me, it took scheduling a 40K bike/10K run brick workout this past Sunday to prove to me I could do reasonably well . . . (in the same race, by the way - the Tri Indy).

Up until then, I just wasn't quite sure I'd be able to "enjoy" myself.

For us folks in Kentucky, there just aren't that many olympic options around - so do whatever you feel like! 

2009-08-04 2:24 PM

User image

Expert

When I say not a terrible outing I was refering to making a couple of passes by the rider who was killed about 20 minutes before I came through.  Seeing a sheeted bloody body on the side of the road kind of took the wind out of my sails and I and made it hard to focus and/or enjoy the moment. 

The course looks to be completly flat with the exception of one overpass so I figured the bike would be easy.  My longest ride to date was about this same distance and very hilly, I followed that up with about a 1 mile swim and still felt decent afterwards.  While it would be my first open water, I can swim a mile now without much effort.  That is in a pool which means, a albiet small, a very short break each time I turn.  The canal is only 4 feet deep as well which means absolute worst case I could just stand up.  I am a terrible runner and very slow (10.5 minute mile) and this is the really the only part that concerns me.

Can you tell that I am really trying to justify this and talk myself into it and not out of it?  I am going to try and finish a 6 mile run tomorrow night and maybe see how that goes first.

Edited by Batlou 2009-08-04 2:26 PM
2009-08-04 2:37 PM

Akron, OH
If you are safe in the water and just want to feel like you did the distance, by all means go for it.  If you want to feel like you prepared for the distance and gave it a good effort, stick with the sprint.  Some folks just want to say they did the distance, and that's OK.  Just not my cup of tea, unless we're talking IM distance, that is.  So I guess it's all relative.  Do whichever you think you'll have more fun doing.  I know which one I'd do.

2009-08-04 7:11 PM

User image

Expert
Northern CA
When I did my first Olympic, I hadn't run more than 5 miles at a time and 5.5 miles with breaks. But I had biked the distance several times and I regularly swam more than the distance. I think we all have a sense of what we're capable of and I was pretty sure I could do it.

My only question was whether I was going to be able to do it on that particular course (which was very hilly). I decided that, for the run, I would try to run to at least the 4 mile aide station since I knew I could run that distance. Then, if I needed to, I would take a 2 minute rest before running the last 2 miles. IOW, I would turn it into two distances I knew I could do. In the end, I didn't need to, but it was very calming to have that plan in my back pocket.

I won't say signing up for the Olympic was the smartest thing I ever did, but I don't regret it either. I enjoyed myself and felt like it was much more of the challenge that I expected the Sprint tri to be, when I had first signed up for it.

OTOH, not having done an OWS prior to the event is more of an issue IMO. OWS is not like swimming in the pool and you don't want to be one of those who gets in the water and panics because that's not fun at all. If there is any way at all to get in at least one OWS prior to the event, it will really help.
2009-08-05 7:57 AM
in reply to: #2328288

User image

Veteran
Elizabethtown, KY

MacMadame - 2009-08-04 8:11 PM

OTOH, not having done an OWS prior to the event is more of an issue IMO. OWS is not like swimming in the pool and you don't want to be one of those who gets in the water and panics because that's not fun at all. If there is any way at all to get in at least one OWS prior to the event, it will really help.

But that's also why race selection is so key, and he's choosing a good one.  The Tri Indy race is in a 4ft deep canal, and they start you in very small, almost "mini', waves.  If you look at the photos from last year, there was a lot of early separation.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Olympic Distance, what do you think... Rss Feed