Set Up Inc
62F / 17C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 25m 24s
Overall Rank = 143/272
Age Group = 35-39 Male
Age Group Rank = 28/46
Pre-race routine:

Arrived early enough, got chip, setup transition, then got a little cramp in my right calf.
Event warmup:

Easy 4 minute jog and light stretching, cramp disappeared quickly (only to return with its friends later.)
Swim
  • 14m 32s
  • 750 meters
  • 01m 56s / 100 meters
Comments:

First O/W swim. Fun. Stayed WELL left of the group, got in a groove early, sighted probably too much, but stayed on course very well due to it. Took each turn tight with a little breaststroke to avoid contact. No drafting because I was so far outside everyone else (5 yards or so). Pleased with performance here, passed many of those from previous wave. On exit from the water, the little cramp in my right calf returned, with a vengance.
What would you do differently?:

More confidence to join the pack. Bilateral breathing would help.
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Uphill exit from transition made it very difficult to smoothly get going. No timing mat at exit from T1, so T1 time INCLUDED in bike split. This seemed to go fast, until it was time to get on the bike.

Run with bike up the hill, then mount.
Bike
  • 42m 52s
  • 12.5 miles
  • 17.50 mile/hr
Comments:

The small cramp in my right calf MULTIPLIED, and spread to the left calf. This ride HURT. I could NOT pedal on the down hill slopes, and couldn't apply much power on the flats (at all). I had to get as aero as possible and coast downhill, then put it in an easy gear to keep speed on the flats. Interestingly, uphill didn't hurt as much, so I seemed to play back and forth with a couple of riders through the course (I'd pass them going uphill, they'd pass me back on the flats.) Near the end, there was one short steep hill where I left them behind. Naturally, during all of this, the three of us were getting steadily passed by others. Tried to drink lots of gatorade, thinking the electrolytes and sugar might help with the cramps; it didn't.

Not pleased with this performance. The cramps really prevented me from executing what I had hoped to be a good ride, and I got really freaked out in the last 2 miles when I began to think about how the cramps were going to affect the run split.

I will sell my soul, ride a century into a headwind, have unsedated colonoscopy; hell, I'd do ANYTHING to avoid having the muscle spasms I suffered with during this race. Fortunately, I'm certain that the fix is much simpler than any of the things listed above.
Transition 2
  • 03m 18s
Comments:

This is where it all fell apart. The calf cramps I had on the bike EXPLODED as soon as I tried to walk after getting off. I had to walk on TIPTOES back to the rack, and tears were spilling by the time I got my running shoes on. This was very demoralizing. I spent a full minute stretching my calves, which didn't seem to help and I began to think about quitting... "suck it up, buttercup" came to mind, and I decided, to hell with the pain, I'm going to run anyway.

I'm pretty sure the cramps were due to some stupid decisions made the night before this race (read: red wine and not enough water).

Fluids, maybe some endurolytes prior.
Run
  • 23m 44s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 40s  min/mile
Comments:

By the time I ran/limped out of transition, the cramps/spasms in my calves were either easing off, or I was no longer aware of them. While running, I felt that I was doing poorly, but this time is actually my best 5k time (including those I've done without swimming/cycling prior). I wonder what the time might've been had I not had the problems with the calves. By mile 2, my legs finally felt like mine again, so I increased the speed; but did this too early and had nothing left for the small hill by the finish. Was passed by a few just prior to the finish.

Hydrate, or rather, avoid dehydration the night prior to the race. Save the kick for closer to the finish.
Post race
Warm down:

After the finish, the cramps/spasms returned with a vengance. Spent much time tring to stretch them out, to no avail. Met several folks from Richmond who did the race as well as Mark from BT (who smoked the course, BTW).

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The stupid cramps.

Event comments:

I'll do this one again next year if my schedule allows. The lake was a nice intro to O/W because of lack of waves and current. It would've been nice if it had been a few degrees warmer.

Last updated: 2005-02-06 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:14:32 | 750 meters | 01m 56s / 100meters
Age Group: 15/46
Overall: 101/272
Performance: Good
Includes time from waterline to transition, natch
Suit: Xterra full
Course: 250m out, 300m down beach, 200m back.
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 62F / 17C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Bad
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? Yes Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Below average
Biking
00:42:52 | 12.5 miles | 17.50 mile/hr
Age Group: 27/46
Overall: 134/272
Performance: Bad
T1 included in this split. If I assume 2 minutes in T1 (which is probably low given the run up the hill to transition and the time it took to get the wetsuit off) then my MPH approaches 18, which was the goal; and this surprizes me given the cramps I was dealing with and the fact that I couldn't pedal on 1/3 of the course because of them.
Wind: None
Course: Winding with two turn-rounds. Some rollers, one short steep hill to climb back up on mile 10.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Too much
T2
Time: 03:18
Overall: Bad
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike Bad
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:23:44 | 03.1 miles | 07m 40s  min/mile
Age Group: 29/46
Overall: 155/272
Course: Out and back, uphill on the way out, down on the way back except for one very short hill just prior to the finish.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Bad
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 3
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2005-05-09 3:08 PM

User image

Veteran
Richmond, VA
Subject: Smith Mountain Lake Triathlon

2005-05-09 4:59 PM
in reply to: #154992

User image

Extreme Veteran
Winston-Salem, NC
Subject: RE: Smith Mountain Lake Triathlon
Great race, Chris. Way to persevere through the painful cramps! And you ran your personal best 5k! I am glad that I had the opportunity to meet you and your wife. Maybe next year the water won't be sooooo cold!!
2005-05-10 1:53 AM
in reply to: #154992

User image

Expert
Seattle WA
Subject: RE: Smith Mountain Lake Triathlon
nice job!! way to push on through the cramps!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Smith Mountain Lake Triathlon Rss Feed