General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri Sunday, Bike Tips Wanted Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-05 1:14 PM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA
Subject: First Tri Sunday, Bike Tips Wanted

My first tri is Sunday, a mini sprint.  I know a lot of what to expect.  The swim is a snake swim seeded by time.  I go out and swim; some people may tap ahead of me; I may tap ahead of some people.  That I get.  I’ve done enough road races to know what to expect on foot.  Nothing like starting in a cattle chute, just you and a few thousand of your closest friends.  (Quick tangent: in Ottawa I almost ran over someone who stopped a mere 200 yards into the race.)  And by the time I get to the run, things will have thinned out considerably.

The part I have the least grasp of is what the bike ride is like.  I’m looking for any tips for being on the course with a few hundred bikes.  I have zero experience there. 

I’m ready for the physical; I'm training well beyond all the distances for my race on Sunday.  It’s the intangibles I’m trying to get squared away in my pumpkin head.

2009-08-05 1:18 PM
in reply to: #2329879

Subject: RE: First Tri Sunday, Bike Tips Wanted
Honestly,
I think you may be over thinking it.  If you are physically ready, you are probably better off than about 1/2 of the people. 

As far as the bike goes, just remember to have it set in the proper gear in transition.  Don't sweat a flying start or starting with your shoes on the pedals.  Just be sure to get on smoothly and get them turning asap.  Onceon course, just keep your crank turning, and go around slower people.

No sweat!

"Just don't F***ing stop"

2009-08-05 1:22 PM

User image

Expert
Dodge County, MN (out in the corn)
The swim will space out the participants enough so you won't be all in a clump.  There might be little groups, but nothing like 100 bikes all together.  Keep to the right unless you are passing.  If you get passed, drop back a bit, so you don't get nailed for drafting.  Ride cautiously.  I always assume that everyone around me has no bike handliing skills.  Often, that's a good assumption. Going into and out of transition, there will be a mount/dismount line.  Get on at the mount line; off at the dismount.  Other than that, have a great ride.  Drink some water (not too much) and keep a steady pace. 

I'm sure I've left out lots.  Have a great race!
2009-08-05 1:32 PM
in reply to: #2329910

User image

Elite
Evergreen, CO
rowdypaint - 2009-08-05 12:22 PM  Get on at AFTER the mount line; off at BEFORE the dismount. 

(just to clarify.)

And keep the rubber side down   I have to remind myself of that regularly.

HAVE FUN!
2009-08-05 1:43 PM

User image

Regular
East San Francisco Bay Area
Probably gonna be more spread out then you think. There will be so many different swimming abilities there, things will thin out on the bike. Set up your transition, remember the helmet or its all for not.

Also read the course guide, rules, etc. Make sure you know about drafting and when its safe to mount or dismount your bike, etc. Knowledge is power.

Good luck.
2009-08-05 1:49 PM

A few things to remember about the bike segment:

(These are USAT Rules by the way)

Always wear your helmet (chin strap connected) if you are on the bike. This applies even before the race.

Stay to the right except to pass. Always pass on the left.

Stay 3 bike lengths (about 15 ft) behind another biker unless passing.

When overtaking a person once you get within that drafting zone( 3 bike lengths) you must complete the pass in 15 seconds.

If you are passed by someone you must drop back 3 bike lengths.
You need to have dropped back before passing that person.

Mount after the mounting line and dismount before the dismount line.

Bike needs to be racked at the same spot when you return from the bike segment before going out on the run.

At most races they go over the rules before the start to remind everyone and explain what the penalities are if these rules are not followed.

Good Luck and have fun.

2009-08-05 1:59 PM

User image

Veteran
That race is my first, too.  I've done as much training as I could while my knees heal.  I, too, was a little nervous about the bike because I'm not used to riding in big groups. I'm just hoping to get out of the swim fast enough to get my bike on without worrying about fiery crashes.  Just not sure how crowded that second loop will be.
2009-08-05 3:20 PM

I'm going to 'watch' my first sprint tri on Sunday.
I need this confidence to see exactly 'how' it's done.  I'm training for June 2010 and the weight is falling off. I too am worried about the start, the transitions and all the rules!!

However, as has been said before you sound physically prepared and so try not to over-analyse (aka panic!).

Have a great 1st race.

2009-08-05 3:23 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Others have mentioned almost everything, but I recommend freezing or partially freezing your bottles overnight so you have cold water on the bike and in transition.
2009-08-05 3:26 PM

User image

Veteran
Des Moines, IA
like was said above there will be plenty of spacing because of the swim but you may encounter slower people than you on the bike and you're going to want to pass them with plenty of room and speed so that you aren't riding right up on their tire and doing a crazy swerve to pass them.

take a glance over your shoulder so that nobody is trying to pass you before you decide to pass and give plenty of room to the person you're passing.  Also saying something nice to them is always good to hear... something like "nice pace" or "looking good".

You may also encounter a group of people who are not drafting eachother but not passing eachother, in which case you should dedicate to passing all of them or joining them while keeping plenty of distance between you and whoever is in front of you.

Whatever you do - DO NOT ride the person in front of you's(sic) tire.  Not only will it tick them off but you will probably get a time penalty.

Edited by jtaddei 2009-08-05 3:27 PM
2009-08-05 3:40 PM

Manassas will be my first tri as well.  My 12 year old son has done one there before and it is pretty well run.  Watching my son do one there is summer motivated me and here I am participating this weekend.   Good luck and see you there.
J. 

2009-08-05 3:45 PM

User image

Champion
Dallas, TX
Good luck on Sunday!

When riding around others... just always be AWARE of your surroundings.

If you are making a turn, look back to see if you are going to cut someone off if you go wide.

If you are passing someone, look back to see if someone faster is coming up on your side.

It is always nice to say "on your left" when you passing someone. Although 90% of the people don't do it. So, you don't have to.

Stay RIGHT if you are moving slower. In fact, treat the left lane as a passing lane. Pass on the left, go back to the right. Don't just sit in the left lane if you aren't passing someone. Want to tick off a faster racer- do that.

Look when crossing intersections. Yes, do it even if it's being blocked by cops. People driving cars can be idiots. Think assume that you are completely safe because you are racing. You are not. Just recently a guy died during the bike portion because a car hit him.

The key is to just be AWARE.

Have fun!
2009-08-05 3:55 PM

User image

Veteran
Des Moines, IA
oh yeah if there is anyone - usually a cop - blocking an intersection for you, THANK THEM!
2009-08-05 8:30 PM

User image

Veteran
Arlington, VA

Thanks everyone for the really thoughtful advice.  I will take it all to heart as best I can and try to do you proud.

Your advice, browncd, has really got me wondering how I will react on the course.  During road races, something in my mind just sort of takes over.  I see someone in front of me, and I think, I can pass them.  Given the rules you spoke of, if that voice starts whispering, my legs and lungs better be ready to cash that check ... on the bike and when I get off it later.

I am having so much fun.  Have I mentioned that?

2009-08-05 11:19 PM
in reply to: #2330733

User image

Master
Cypress, CA

KarmannGhia - 2009-08-05 6:30 PM

Thanks everyone for the really thoughtful advice.  I will take it all to heart as best I can and try to do you proud.

Your advice, browncd, has really got me wondering how I will react on the course.  During road races, something in my mind just sort of takes over.  I see someone in front of me, and I think, I can pass them.  Given the rules you spoke of, if that voice starts whispering, my legs and lungs better be ready to cash that check ... on the bike and when I get off it later.

I am having so much fun.  Have I mentioned that?

Good point--always keep in mind that there's another leg of the race after the bike--if you leave it all on the bike course, you'll have several miles of running to regret your mistake.  Toward the end of the bike leg, it's a good idea to gear down and spin a bit so your legs are fresher for the run.  I found the hardest part of my first tri was getting my legs going at the start of the run--first half mile or so was like running in wet cement.

Also, remember to hold a steady line in the turns, especially if it's an out & back with tight hairpins.  Ride the turns predictably, don't swerve in or out in case somebody is trying to cut inside or outside of you through the turn.

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » First Tri Sunday, Bike Tips Wanted Rss Feed