General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who owns both a Tri and a Road bike Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply

of 3

2009-08-07 8:28 PM
in reply to: #2333476

User image

Expert
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: RE: Who owns both a Tri and a Road bike
Hi, my name is Scott and I have a bike problem.

2008 Spesh Tarmac Roadie that has been great for training and four tri races now
2008 Kuota K-Factor in the stand, coming together, for next year's Eagleman
Old (like 94?) Canondale Aluminum 650c wheel Tri ike I am tuning to give to my lil bro.
2007 Spesh Sirrus Commuter / roadie buddy-bike
Titus Racer X 29r mountain bike with zero compromises, for groovy singletrack and Xterra
2003 Spesh Stumpjumper 26r mountain bike, with bling, for a trail buddy bike
Schwinn I pulled from a dumpster to build up for Toys-for-Tots donation this C'mas (got parts?)
And I'd still have the sweet GT Karokorum Prestige CrMo hardtail-rigid if it hadn't got smashed by a car.

My wife can't tell the difference between bikes, but she can count, so I've got to get rid of a couple before I start thinking about the Zen Madone....

So ummmm, yeah, I'm good with that extra tri racer. Happy trails!

Edited by jsselle 2009-08-07 8:57 PM

2009-08-07 8:39 PM
in reply to: #2334856

User image

Expert
Fountain Hills, AZ
Subject: RE: Who owns both a Tri and a Road bike (Cheap Aero Fix For Roadie)
orlando1119 - 2009-08-07 4:16 PM what is an ff seat post? can it make the roady into more of a tt?

Profile Design makes carbon and Aluminum "forward offset " seatpost. Pretty much takes about 10-30mm off of the effective top tube length and changes seat angle from about 73 (most roadies) to about 78 (most tri's). Cervelo has been doing this forever with the Soloist.
http://www.profile-design.com/profile-design/products/seatposts/aluminum-seat-posts

This plus clip on aero bars like Strykes or Jammers from Profile Design would be a great fix for many recreational tri racers, and actually probably fit most of us better than a tri-specific bike since the extra head tube length on a road bike with make a more comfortable aero tuck for a less experienced rider. One hour tucked can be killed by ten minutes upright on the hoods, so you've really got to be comfortable in your tuck and keep it there. And there are some handling issues to consider (more weight up front will twitch out your steering) so probably best to have a good fitter at your LBS help you with this, but it is a GREAT thing to do before dropping three large on a tri bike.
2009-08-07 9:12 PM
in reply to: #2333476

Extreme Veteran
Subject: RE: Who owns both a Tri and a Road bike
Thanks for all of the great responses!  I went the path of the roadie much like others did (if I didn't like the tri's then i'd still have a great bike to ride). I shift quite a bit as we have some hills here in mid-TN, so going to give it some thought.. but the Specialized Transition Comp looks mighty sweet.. I also believe that if i'm going to ride the longer distances, a TT bike will be better suited to comfort in the aero than a modified Roadie..Maybe it'll be a reward for myself if I complete a 1/2 IM next year.. we'll see what the coming season holds...
thanks again eveyrone
Derek
New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Who owns both a Tri and a Road bike Rss Feed  

of 3