United Kingdom
21C / 70F
Overcast
Total Time = 13h 13m
Overall Rank = 640/1680
Age Group = 30-35
Age Group Rank = 132/220
Pre-race routine:

Woke early, managed a good b'fast and Dad dropped me off at the race site, Chatted to few people, air in the tiers and set the bike up with drinks bars etc etc. Didn't do any warm ups etc. I wold have to say this was the most calm I have ever been before a race, I knew I had woken up with the start of a cold, but figured... here i was... what will be will be.
Event warmup:

Stood on cold concrete road waiting to be taken down to the swim start.
Swim
  • 1h 20m
  • 3800 meters
  • 02m 07s / 100 meters
Comments:

Best swim I have ever had, by all reports the swim was long, various garmins have put it between 4.1 and 4.2 kms so very pleased with the time.

I felt very relaxed the whole way around (more or less) just cruised around at my pace, drafting now and then but mainly just swimming my own swim, really enjoyed it.

Getting in the swim was hard, the water was cold, and I had to get new goggles the few days before because I left mine at home. Had to tread water for quite a while before the start because I was one of the first few in the water... i was just ready and eager to get going.
What would you do differently?:

Navigation was bit off, but the rhythm was good, i would rather keep the rhythm and swim a bit further in an event that long.
Transition 1
  • 11m 26s
Comments:

I have never seen mud like this before in my life... the whole site was a muddy field, running with the bike, getting changed etc was an effort. My feet were caked in mud as i mounted the bike, had to carry the bike out of transition so the wheels didn't get covered in mud, but i didn't mind too much, it was all part of the day.

It was a 500m run up hill on a gravel road to transition, so that took a good few minutes of this time.

not much, i did dally a bit, but i wasn't out to set any records
Bike
  • 6h 20m 23s
  • 180 kms
  • 28.39 km/hr
Comments:

That was one tuff bike course, very hilly with a couple of really steep long climbs.

Lap one went well, the first climb is straight out of transition, there was heaps of support on this part of the course, people were 4 and 5 deep, yelling, ringing bells, banners, chalk on the road etc etc, very tour d'France, it was a great buzz... i managed to get up the climb fairly easily, didn't have to get in the granny gears just soaked it in a bit really. over the hill and the decent down the other side was FAST with a sharp turn at the bottom on to "the high" street... this part of the course was HARD, it was cold, windy, slow roads and very undulating, there was little rest for the legs for about 20km or so. Not many people here. We then sort of turn back on ourselves and head back through the green typical English country side, small villages, pubs etc etc, the support from l;ocals was amazing and spurred me on. I used this part of the course to make sure i got in my food and drinks. the last third of the corse wassimilar scenery, but started to undulate again, lots of support still but the course started to bite, the roads were slow and i remeber thinking that this is going to be a LONG day.

First lap was done in 2hrs exactly, a good pace and i had kept HR etc in check, i was pleased with the first lap.

The second lap was the worst, the climb wasn't bad, but i struggled on the cold windy section and started to let my mind wander, there were a few negative thoughts creeping in, but fought through them and just kept things ticking over. I took a corner too sharp on this lap and went bush for a minute or so, i think that woke me up. managed to keep it under control and luckily didn't puncture.

Second lap was just over the 2hr mark.

The third lap was hard, but i remember thinking this is the last time, 660km to go and i can get off this bike... i had had enough... the climb was painful and slow sapped every last bit of power out of my legs, i don't think i ever recovered from that last climb... there were people getting off and walking... I got over in the end, and enjoyed a powerbar and drink on the way down... i rewarded myself on the tough part of this lap with my snickers which i had been holding on to so i could have some "real" food, god it was good, savored every bite. It was a long lap and the climb really hurt my bike time, but there was still heaps of support out on the course and the lap went by what felt like quite quickly.

Third lap was done in just over two hours, but faster than the second lap, i managed to concentrate better.

I was so happy to be off the bike i was actually looking forward to the run... i shouldn't have!

Not much, i kept a good pace, stuck to my HR and cad, i think i should have done more long rides with bricks in training...next time...
Transition 2
  • 07m 12s
Comments:

Very heavy legs off the bike, and had to get through the mud etc again. My shoulders were very painful, but had left some nurofen gel in my run bag, so put that on and it relieved the pain almost instantly, uneventful transition really

Nothing, it went well really.
Run
  • 5h 14m 20s
  • 42 kms
  • 07m 29s  min/km
Comments:

WOW, the pain!...

This was the hardest run i have ever had. The first 7 - 10 km went almost right to plan, i was hitting about 5:40/km and walked the aid stations getting in bananas, water and was feeling sore but thinking i could make it... then i hit a climb over a railway line (like the spiral paths over the freeway) it was very steep and quite long, started off with a slow jog, it ended up a slow walk and when i reached the top my thighs were screaming at me to stop... i tried to run again but failed, i ended up "staggering" for the next few kms with my mind in a very dark place, i was at the turn around point, knowing i wasn't even half way thinking how can i go on like this, i was seconds away from giving up, walking off the course and throwing in the towell... i looked at my watch and thought NO, bugger it, even walking/staggering at this pace i can make it under the 17 hour mark, the only way i am not finishing today is if they drag me off in an ambulance or i don't make the time cut off.

From then on it was hard, but i had it in my mind that i was finishing no matter what, i walked alot, ran now and then when it was flat, chatted to a few people and we spurred each other on for times, but i ended up getting a bit of a second wind and with about 10km to go was thinking if i can push i might get under 13hrs... it didn't happen though, but i did manage a consistant run walk pace through to the end.

I got through the last few corners and saw the finnish line and huge screen ahead, the street was lined 4 people deep for near on 1km it was an amazing feeling to run down that finnish shut giving high fives etc etc, i don't know where i found that last bit of energy from but it was there and i actually felt like i was running.

An amazing feeling to cross the line, and just a bit over 13 hours. Saw my wife and kids and dad, gave them a big hug, showed off my medal and felt such pain, but releif that it was over and i had done it!

Train off the bike and longer runs more often... i was under prepared for the pain!
Post race
Warm down:

They had a recovery area with food drinks, our dry bags etc... BUT.... we had to climb two flights of stairs to get to it, it was tough work.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

The run... but it has given me hope for one more crack at an ironman and see what i can do now that i know what to expect.

Event comments:

Great race, tough course and great people. The support from the towns around the way and the finish area is amazing!

Tough Ironman but well worth the effort.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2008-12-18 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:20:00 | 3800 meters | 02m 07s / 100meters
Age Group: 0/220
Overall: 492/1680
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course: 2x Hot dog loop of 1900m
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Shot
Water temp: 0F / 0C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 11:26
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:20:23 | 180 kms | 28.39 km/hr
Overall: 270/1680
Performance: Good
Wind: Some with gusts
Course: three laps of a 60km lap with about 7km of 7% climbing at the end/start of each lap. One side of the hill was sunny, warm, no wind, the other was cold, windy, hilly, and hard work. it was like two courses in one, arms and jacket for one half, sun cream on the other.
Road: Rough Dry Cadence:
Turns: Average Cornering: Average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Good
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 07:12
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:14:20 | 42 kms | 07m 29s  min/km
Overall: 1023/1680
Performance: Bad
Course: Out back out course, quite hilly with a few really sharp climbs. Mostly on roads or paths.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Average
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-07 5:43 AM

Perth
Subject: Ironman UK

2009-08-07 5:54 AM
in reply to: #2333568

Subject: ...
This user's post has been ignored.
2009-08-08 5:50 AM

Perth, WA
Subject: RE: Ironman UK
Man that was a tough course!
Mud in the transition and gravel road? Bugger that.
You sure chose a tough race for your first Ironman.
Compare that to Busselton and you will have no problems whatsoever.
Awesome effort and well done!
2009-08-08 7:33 AM

Master
Muskego, Wisconsin

Wow, tough race.  Glad you got your head back in the game for lap 3 of the bike.  The "went bush" comment was hilarious.  Congrats on a tough race.

2009-08-08 9:09 AM

Master
Perth, Australia

Awesome effort Martin! What a tough course, I can't imagine all that mud! It sounds like the support was amazing, and the bike route would have been very scenic. That snickers bar sounds delicious. I can't believe they made you walk up stairs to get your recovery stuff!!! No way! Best of luck for Busselton

2009-08-11 8:15 PM

Judging by your swim time and t1 time your were probably there to see me go over my handle bars leaving the transtion with my bike.  The carpet was pretty soft in parts and my cleat got caught.

Congrats on the finish.  The race overall was a great course, except the nasty hill coming back up to chorley.  It was tough.

2009-08-11 10:29 PM

Master
Royersford, PA
Nice job. Eventhough I didn't have my best race, this certainly will be one of those races I remember for a long time. The crowd on the big hill at the start of each loop was really cool and the cool people hanging out on the bike and run courses made my day. Of course I will also have a hard time forgetting the mudpuddle served as transition.
Again good job Ironman!
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Ironman UK Rss Feed