NCN Racing
65F / 18C
Overcast
Total Time = 1h 18m 11s
Overall Rank = 8/71
Age Group = Men's Team
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

Start resting on Thursday. Carb up Friday and prep bike.
Slept in until 5! Usual breakfast. Pack, on the road after 6.
Event warmup:

Walking and jogging starting about 1 hour before the race. Gel 15 minutes before the race.
Swim
  • 11m
  • 440 yards
  • 02m 30s / 100 yards
Comments:

Did a good job of keeping my pace down early, but swam a zig-zag out to the bouy, almost all freestyle, did a great spin turn abound the bouy. Trip back in was not as quality, did a lot of breast stoke, struggling to catch my breath. Jogged/walked in from about 3' of water. Quite a bit of distance from the swater to the TA. Was kind of down after looking back in the water and not seeing many people behind, but, for me it wasn't too bad a swim. Placed 16th of 26 in my wave.
Time is estimated.
What would you do differently?:

Keep working on swimming (I am getting better) especially longer dictances. Remember the great bouy turn! More freestyle. Should have run harder out of the water to the bike. Stay positive even though I'm BOP swimmer.
Transition 1
  • 01m 40s
Comments:

Long distance from the lake to TA, jogged, should have run harder. Did everything in order, shirt, helmet, glasses, shoes and drink, but, could have done them quicker, was kind of down after my swim performance and let it get to me.

Forget the swim as soon as I'm out of the water, move on! Minimal equipment change and a strong bike ride are up, remember that.
Bike
  • 43m 38s
  • 16 miles
  • 22.00 mile/hr
Comments:

Rocked the bike! Goal was to avaerage 20 MPH, achieved 22! Knew I wasn't doing the running leg (son teamed up with me) so was able to go all out, especially at the end, but, I'm riding a $1K road bike (w/ aero bars), wearing running shoes in strapless cages, and a MTB helmet. My support said everyone that came in ahead of me was doing it in aero helmets on TT bikes (and they started in the first wave 4 minutes ahead of me). I am officially proud of this ride.

Get some biking shoes and an aero helmet? Maybe buy a TT bike(that won't happen). Might have started the 5k for practice even being part of a team. Did a little running to cool after the bike and didn't feel too bad.
Transition 2
  • 00m 10s
Comments:

Just a hand off to my son.

Should have worked on my own transition after the hand off, not much to do though.
Run
  • 22m 43s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 07m 20s  min/mile
Comments:

For son, 16, his first ever 5K (he's never run this far in his entire life!): Start pace was a little slow, tripped and fell on a root early, scraped up a little, didn't slow him down, picked up pace at about mile 1. Worked well off of other runners' pace. Stopped and had a drink at the water station (yes, he literally stopped and politely asked what to do with the empty cup). Re-passed the guy that passed him at the break. No one else passed him. Strong sprint finish, left the chisled guy behind him in the dust!

Start faster, watch your step and get to know the guy at the aid station better LOL. He says he do it again. If only he could swim.
Post race
Warm down:

Jog, walk, snack, cheer on my runner.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

My swim, maybe my bike accessories.

Event comments:

Just a nice small race in a good setting. Would be better with split times.

Profile Album

Last updated: 2009-08-04 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:11:00 | 440 yards | 02m 30s / 100yards
Age Group: 3/3
Overall: 0/71
Performance: Average
Suit: Tri-suit, bottoms only
Course: Standing start in 4' of mucky, silty water at he end of the beach, out in the lake around bouy, head back in to the middle of the beach (delta shaped).
Start type: Wade Plus:
Water temp: 77F / 25C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Average
Breathing: Below average Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Below average
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 01:40
Performance: Below average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:43:38 | 16 miles | 22.00 mile/hr
Age Group: 1/3
Performance: Good
Wind: Little
Course: Flat country roads, maybe a dozen small hills, a lot of long straight flat sections. Two RR crossings, some gravel to deal with on one 3 mile strech and some of the turns. Finish through the State Park on a curving road, nice after all those straightaways.
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Average Hills: Average
Race pace: Hard Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:10
Overall: Average
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
00:22:43 | 03.1 miles | 07m 20s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/3
Performance: Good
Course: Son's report: Unimproved trails through the woods around a lake. Many roots, steep small hills and turns. Time is estimated.
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 4
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? No