Exclusive Sports
80F / 27C
Sunny
Total Time = 1h 09m 43s
Overall Rank = 45/115
Age Group = Female 45-49
Age Group Rank = 1/3
Pre-race routine:

This Race is part of the Publix Family Fitness Series organized for the people of Exclusive Sports...
http://www.familyfitnessweekend.com/

And it took place at the "John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park" in Key Largo, Florida.

This Event hold a Duathlon and Triathlon at the same time with 32 participants racing the Duathlon and 115 participants racing the Triathlon...It was an small Event...but...was nice...something different and new for us...

Friday July 31st:

We usually have our Races on Sundays and Friday is a regular day of work-out and Saturday is always my day off...but...cuz...this one was on Saturday...I decided to do only an easy swim.

After my swimming...wiped / lubed / tuned bike...changed wheels for Race Wheels...prepared/packed my Race stuff...and...prepared all my beverages for the Race and placed in the fridge/refrigerator.

Took a good carbo load for lunch...lasagna...and then 1 hour nap...

My Buddy picked me up around 4:30 pm after his work and we headed to Key Largo to pick-up our Race Packages at the John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park...

Got our Race Packages and timming chips...My Buddy got the Bid# 44 / Silver Cap and for me...Bid# 37 / Green Cap...WoooooHoooooo...other different color for my collection...and...not the usual PINK...LOL

FFW Key Largo

By this time nobody knew how is the Swim/Bike/Run Course and this people didn't have any maps posted in their site...and...we decided to ask...and...they gave us a very simple explanation...but...we left a little concerned and not convinced...cuz...We usually race Events very well organized in that kind of details...and...we said to us..."I think we will follow the people and cones"...LOL

From there we went for an early dinner in one of our favorite Restaurant in Key Largo "The Buzzard's Roost" http://buzzardsroostkeylargo.com/home.html#

My Buddy ordered the special seafood and for me the fish of the day (mahi mahi) and steams veggies and for entre a garden salad for both and unsweet ice tea...

Went back to home...and put our Bid#'s in our bikes and belts and loaded bikes and Transition Bags into the car...

Prepared my usual hot green tea with a small piece of key lime pie...and...went to bed...to watch some TV till 9:00 pm...when my Buddy joined me to sleep....ZZZZZzzzzzz

Saturday 1st:

Woke-up at 4:30 am...Got dressed...put our timming chips in our left ankles...got our usual Pre-Race breakfast: Orange juice for both...my usual Super Soy Protein Shake (chocolate)...waffle with peanut butter and coffee for my Buddy and our usual packages of multi-vitamins and minerals, Glucosamine, Amino 1500 and CO Q-10.

We did our own Body marked...and...took our coolers with beverages and left from home around 5:00 am...It took us about 35 minutes to get to Key Largo and 2 more minutes to the "John Pennekamp Coral Reef State Park"...very nice...!!!

Parked car...took our bikes, Bags and coolers and headed to Transition Area...

Placed my bike in my rack area...and...set-up all my Race stuff:
Helmet over seat...sunglasses over handlebar...and...Speedfill with water/Aminovital Endurance (lime) in it's cage...

A green towel in front of my bike and over the biking/running shoes, my belt with Bid# and a small ziploc with 2 Endurolytes inside my hat all wrapped and a bottle with frozen water...

Saw Chewie Louis and went to say "Hi"...He was the Bid#6...not too far from my rack area...

Checked entrance/exits to be sure where exactly was my rack area...and...went to sit and relax a bit...closed eyes...did a short visualization of the Race...

Took one Accel Gel with water and Aminovital Endurance (lime) and 2 Endurolytes...and...took my goggles, swim cap and wax ear-plugs and headed to the swim area...

When we got at the Swim Area...it was still dark...and...the Organizers noticed that the 1st Bouy was complety deflated and they asked for help to the Marina and a law enforcement boat was sent to the location and stay there for the Race...

Then they placed a long/wide carpet on the Swim Exit with a lot of sand bags at the sides to keep it under water...cuz...the botton of this beach is all full of coral rocks...no nice to walk in that kind of surface...LOL

Event warmup:

Walked over the carpet till the point the water was at the level of my hips and jumped into the water for a short warm-up...swam maybe 100 mts and came back to shore to the carpet again to get out of the water...

The Organizers gave us the last instructions about the swim / bike / run legs....

Here listening the instructions

FFW Key Largo

They told us that the Swim Start will be from the line in "deep water" at the left side of the beach and we will swim from there to the law enforcement boat...round it...instead the bouy...and from there to the rest of the bouys....

There were only 3 Waves...Chewie was in the 1st Wave, me in the second one and my Buddy in the 3rd one....

The Race started 5 or 10 minutes late...around 6:40 am...and my Wave took off at 6:45 am...

Here when my Wave (All Females and Relays) were getting into the water...as always the fast Velo was already in the line...LOL

FFW Key Largo

Swim
  • 15m 22s
  • 600 meters
  • 02m 34s / 100 meters
Comments:

Just when the Organizer gave us green light...I took off without any problem...I was feeling very strong and swimming with a constante stroke against the current and some waves...passing a lot of women...got till the boat...rounded it...a little crowded at the moment but without incidents...from there to the second bouy...the current and waves pushed us out of our path and I had to lift my head in some occasions to see if I was heading to the bouy...from the 2nd bouy to the 3rd one...I noticed that the courrents and waves was pushing us...it was nice...a very fast swimming...and from that point the fastest swimmers from the 3rd Waves reached/passed us but I took advantage and drafted behind them till the Swim Exit...it was a great help...and...I was very happy with my swimming...

These people don't post Transition Times and the T1 was added to our Swimming Time....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr....!!!
That means...I don't know my real Swimming Time...Very disappointed!!!

Here you can see where we swam:

FFW Key Largo

FFW Key Largo
What would you do differently?:

train and train
Transition 1
  • 00m
Comments:

Even I don't know my T1 Time...I'm sure it was other usual fast Transition for me...
Just when I got at the carpet at the Swim Exit...running fast...I start removing my goggles, cap and wax ear-plugs and put them inside the cap...from the beach to Trasnsition Area was maybe a 150 to 200 mts run...
Got in my rack area..put helmet/sunglasses and biking shoes at the same time...took bike...and run fast out of Transition...till the mount/desmount area...BTW...just out of Transition...we had to run maybe 25 mts till the assigned area to mount/desmount...nice...more runs...!!!

practice and practice...
Bike
  • 26m 25s
  • 9 miles
  • 20.44 mile/hr
Comments:

It was nice bike course...It was an Out & Back course...and...closed road for the traffic...very nice!!!

We had to ride in the north bound at the US-1 from south to north till the 1st Gas Station at the entrance of Key Largo and go back to the Park...

There were police officiers with their cars in every intersection along the bike course...very well enforced...Good Job Guys!!!

It was my best performance and fast bike ride that have done in this year...even...we had strong crosswinds coming from east...passing a lot of people...I knew that I was doing great!!!

Got again at the Park and got in the desmount area like usual...like the Pro/Elites but keeping shoes on...jumping off from my bike and running to Transition Area...

Very Happy with my performance!!!

Continue with my usual easy trainiings...I know that I pay off during my Races...
Transition 2
  • 00m
Comments:

It was a fast Transition...but...again this people don't posted the T2 Time and they added to our Running Time....Grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr!!!
That mean I really don't know how fast I did it...

Just when I racked my bike...changed shoes...removed helmet...took my hat and bottle with water and run super-fast out of Transition...

practice and practice
Run
  • 27m 58s
  • 3.1 miles
  • 09m 01s  min/mile
Comments:

As I said before...the Organizers added the T2 Time to the Runniing Time and I really don't know what was my real time...but...I'm sure that was less than 26...

It was a very nice Run Course...2 laps (Out & Back)...through paved and dirty trails inside the Park and very shady...

Just out of Transition...running with a constante pace...not too fast and not too slow...put my belt with Bid#, my hat and took the 2 Endurolytes with water...tossed some over my head, neck and shoulders...and...start to push a little more...passing a lot of people...till a found a very fast skinny women from the AG 50-54 and kept it with her...she was my pacer and she told me: "Wuaooo...You are my perfect pacer" LOL and We kept it together till maybe the last 1/4 mile to the Finish Line when I saw somebody at the side jumping and cheering like crazy...It was Chewie Loius...LOL...Yelling: "Go Leonora Go...Sprint...Sprint"...and...I sprinted like Speedy Gonzalez...I was smocking...I only left the dust over the woman that was running with me...LOL

Thanks Chewie...!!! I think I did the best run cuz of you...LOL

train and train...
Post race
Warm down:

Just when I passed the Finish Line...a volunteer gave to me a bottle of water and other one took my timming chip form my left ankle...

The woman that was running with me came to congratulate me...it was very nice...!!! and she introduced me to somebody...I think was her husband... like her pacer...LOL

Then went to meet with Chewie and went to the food area...got some orange slices, grapes and a peach...and...went to Transition to get the camera to wait for my Buddy that was coming behind me...

Here is my Buddy coming to the Finish Line:

FFW Key Largo

And the Finish Line:

FFW Key Largo

Met with my Buddy in the Food Area...BTW...I can't complain about the food...they had everything...very nice...
tons of all kind of food and beverages

Here you can see us (Chewie and me with the yellow cap) in the Food Area...

FFW Key Largo

Went to collect/pack all our stuff...Chewie Loius came to our rack area...and my Buddy took us this pic...

FFW Key Largo

We took our bikes, bags and coolers and headed to the car...but..in our way...we stopped by the showers...and...took a good shower with body wash...cold and fresh water...nice...!!!

Loaded bikes and all our Race stuff into the car and moved the car to parking lot next to Transition Area...

Went to check our results and by our surprise...

My Buddy got 4th place in his AG 55-59...Chewie Louis got 3rd place in his AG 40-44 and me 1st place in my AG 45-49...and...what a nice surprise...I found out that the woman that got 3rd place was a good friend that I have not seen in long time and we used to race Adventure Races together long time ago...It was nice to see her again...!!!

1st place AG 45-44

Female Overall: 13th / 38

Overall: 45 / 115

Total Time: 1h 09m 43s

This people only awards the 3 tops AG...Here in the Award Ceremony...
Chewie with his award and his bike behind...

FFW Key Largo

And me with the award:

FFW Key Largo

And here with my friend (3rd place) Lisa Andrew:

FFW Key Largo

And here the Award:

FFW Key Largo

Event comments:

A nice Event but a little desorganized with the Course Maps details and at the beginning of the Race...and...the details about the Transitions (T1 and T2) Times....and...It would be very nice to have music too...more motivation

For the rest...Great Race...a lot of volunteers...plain of food and beverages...no complain about it...!!!

Last updated: 2009-07-24 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:15:22 | 600 meters | 02m 34s / 100meters
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 59/115
Performance: Good
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Deep Water Plus: Waves
Water temp: 80F / 27C Current: Medium
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Good
Waves: Good Navigation: Good
Rounding: Good
T1
Time: 00:00
Cap removal: Good Helmet on/
Suit off:
Yes
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike: Yes
Jump on bike: Yes
Getting up to speed:
Biking
00:26:25 | 09 miles | 20.44 mile/hr
Age Group: 2/3
Overall: 65/115
Wind: Some with gusts
Course:
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Good Cornering: Good
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 00:00
Overall: Good
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:27:58 | 03.1 miles | 09m 01s  min/mile
Age Group: 1/3
Overall: 38/115
Course:
Keeping cool Good Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Average
Race evaluation [1-5] 4

{postbutton}
2009-08-08 2:46 PM

User image

Master
The Redlands, FL
Subject: Publix FFW Triathlon Key Largo

2009-08-08 8:04 PM
in reply to: #2335995

User image

Subject: RE: Publix FFW Triathlon Key Largo

20+ mph on the bike!  Are you kidding me!!  That's awesome And first in your AG... I mean it's not a big race, but who cares, 1st in your AG if 1st in your AG!!! 

The transition times being added to your overall swim and run is not a big deal either because you can still see where you ranked overall evenly with everyone else, and in your case you ranked 1/3, 2/3 and 1/3 ... it doesn't get much better than that!!  

2009-08-10 1:42 PM

User image

Champion
New York, NY
another AG win, yawn (j/k)

seriously you need to start going to some bigger races because you are some serious competition!
2009-08-10 5:16 PM
in reply to: #2339124

User image

Master
Boynton Beach, FL
Very nice! Impressed with the win and diversity on the course. I would have traded that water vs. the ocean this weekend at Loggerhead. It wasn't bad, but I like those waters. Your right about no smooth ground there. That could hurt if not prepared, hope the hobble to transition was a short one. Great job.

2009-08-12 12:52 PM

User image

Extreme Veteran
Denver
that's killer Velo, congrats on your 1st place!! 8-)
General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Publix FFW Triathlon Key Largo Rss Feed