Blue Cross Blue Shield
74F / 23C
Sunny
Total Time = 23m 18s
Overall Rank = 244/1260
Age Group = F 35 - 40
Age Group Rank = 3/105
Pre-race routine:

Got up at 0500. Ate 1/4 PB&J w/out the J. Drank a poweraid and a few sips of coffee. Prayed and read my Bible. Packed up and left for the DOWD YMCA around 0619.
Event warmup:

Hubby ran this one too. We met up with Leigh around 0645. The walk from the DOWD was around .57 miles so I count this as a WU.
Run
  • 23m 18s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 07m 29s  min/mile
Comments:

I waited by the starting line with Debbie. I really thought I was going to be sick. Why do I get so anxious? The jogging strollers and wheelchairs took off. About 2 minutes later, we were off. Like I said, they reversed the course. So we were on the "other side" of the start line...headed toward the finish. Really, I crossed over the finish line 30 seconds after I started. The thought did occur to me that this may mess up my chip (It did not). However, I was in the mass of people going toward Morehead. Even going this way, there were lots of up hills. I thought I was running slower than normal and was a bit disoriented b/c we were going the opposite way of what I thought we were going. I hit mile 1 at 6:58. Now I am not really sure if this mile marker was right. However, my friend Leigh who has a Garmin, said it was right. I did not keep my splits so I am not sure about the other times....I know I slowed b/c as we turned on Kenelworth the course started up...up.....up. I am NOT KID'N! I was running as hard as I could but the up hill was KILLING ME! I passed a few people and the 2 mile mark fairly quickly. I thought I was going to make under 23 minutes. However, the 3rd mile just kept going up...up...up! NEVER ENDING!. I saw Mint Street where the finish line was. Then I saw the 3 mile marker. The time was 22:30. I think the course was long. I am not just saying this b/c I did not get my sub 23. I just know that it does not take me 1 minute to go .11 miles. I sprinted the last .11. B/c the course ran the opposite way, the finish line/start line was not in the right place. I could be wrong.
What would you do differently?:

I am not sure that I could have done anything any different. I told Matt that I ran hard the whole time. I passed several people I was trying to pass. I finished well.
Post race
Warm down:

Hung out with friends. Drank 2 bottles of H2O. Took pictures. Ran 2.5 more miles with Matt and Leigh.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Hills, heat, I had to pee....but everyone had these obsticals so is it really fair to say it only limited me.

Event comments:

I was very disappointed with my time. I didn't even go and see if I had placed. I told Debbie that I could not take the dissapointment of coming in 7th or over. SHe begged me to go see. She said that I really could have placed. I did not look. But I did place. How funny.
Also I was the 34th female out of 577. WOOT!

Last updated: 2009-06-07 12:00 AM
Running
00:23:18 | 03.11 miles | 07m 29s  min/mile
Age Group: 3/105
Overall: 244/1260
Performance: Average
Course: I had ran the course 3x last weekend. It was down Stonewall and up Morehead. HOWEVER, they had reversed the course. AHHHH! My songs were calculated to go the way I had run it b/4. So, this messed with my mind a bit. I swear, the last 1.5 miles were uphill!
Keeping cool Below average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %1
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes