United States
58F / 14C
Sunny
Total Time = 13h 20m 19s
Overall Rank = 292/683
Age Group = m30-34
Age Group Rank = 41/85
Pre-race routine:

got up had a bagel with pb. met the gang downstairs and drove to start. gates did not open until 5:30 for a 6:30 start. by the time we got our tires pumped and T1 set up, we had little time for a warm up. in water wished friends good luck and said good bye to friends and gf
Event warmup:

warm up consisted of a 1 min swim once t1 set up and wet suit was on
Swim
  • 1h 20m 50s
  • 4224 yards
  • 01m 55s / 100 yards
Comments:

my goal going into the swim and bike was to conserve energy for the run. I knew that I could go around 1:20 without pushing. Kept a steady pace throughout. Spotting was good throughout. When rounding the bouy, I stood up and walked for a few steps bc the water was pretty shallow.
On lap 2, I got kicked in the face took a breath and continued on. Overall, I was thrilled to come out of the water in great shape and see my friends.
What would you do differently?:

I think that I could have pushed a little more and been fine. Other than that, I was very happy. All was going very well at this point and thought I was on my way.
Transition 1
  • 06m 32s
Comments:

Going into T1, I knew this was going to take while. I had decided that I would change into bike shorts in the changing tents. I also had to run my stuff to my gf before getting on the bike to make sure everything got back- this was also suggested at the pre-race meeting The volunteers were great with helping me get out of wet suit.

not much. Although, my time was slow, I had planned for this going into the race. Switching into the bike shorts made the bike portion very bearable.
Bike
  • 6h 06m 27s
  • 112 miles
  • 18.34 mile/hr
Comments:

Again the goal was to go easy so that I would have plenty of energy for the marathon that was up next. I stayed at a steady pace throughout and did not feel like I was pushing.
Nutrition: 3 Crustable PB&J sandwiches (1 was in special needs bag); 48 oz water; 1 bottle of Powerade with 2 scoops of endurolytes and 2 scoops of Carb Pro; 1 bottle of Gatorade with 2 scoops of endurolytes and 2 scoops of Carb Pro; 2 more bottles of Gatoade Endurance; approx 3 GU Roctanes, 3 fig newtons, 2 100 calorie cliff bars from aid stations

I need to work on descending hills. I was braking down them way too much. It was more than annoying passing people going up hills and then breaking and being passed on the downhills.
I need to train on more hilly courses to get more comfortable.
Transition 2
  • 04m 32s
Comments:

Felt grat coming off the bike and into T2. I changed out of the bike gear (socks and shorts) and into running stuff. I also put on a fresh jersey.

not much. I liked the idea of putting on running clothes to run. For a 13hr race, the few extra mins seemed well worth it
Run
  • 5h 41m 59s
  • 26.2 miles
  • 13m 03s  min/mile
Comments:

coming out of T2 things were going great. I had not pushed at all and felt that I was ready to run a strong marathon...certainly 13 hours would be accomplished as it mean running ~a 5:30 marathon- which I should be able to do with no problem. During mile 1, my legs were starting to come under me and I jogged an easy 9:25. Mile 2, legs were under me and I was feeling ready to go under 13 hrs and thought I had a chance of going under 12. Mile 2: 8:28.
At this point, the triathlon gods decided to have some fun with me. Suddenly both legs started to cramp pretty badly. I was able to walk/jog the rest of lap 1 in 1:31. At this point, I am accepting that 12 is out of the question, but 13 was still well within reach. I was able to continue to walk jog on the way out for lap 2 and then the cramping got to the point where as soon as I started a jog, quads and calves were cramping up. As I rounded (walked) lap 2 and saw my friends and gf, I told them that they were looking at my pace for the third lap. I think lap 2 was around 1:57. I walked all of lap three bc of the cramps. I accepted the hand that I was dealt and vowed to finish. At points, the cramps were acting up while I was walking. As I watched Gerry pass me, I cheered hoping that he could break 13hrs, which he did with plenty of time to spare.
Coming down the final stretch, I managed to limp/jog across the finish line and celebrate that I was now an IRON MAN!!!

figure out how I can prevent the cramps!
Post race
Warm down:

seeing Christine and Kevin (who flew out from NJ to cheer) along with the rest of the gang at the finish was phenomenal. I can not thank everyone enough for standing out there and cheering for us for 13+ hours.
At this point my legs were in pretty bad shape. I went to the message tent and got a 15 minute massage. The guy said my legs were extremely tight and I needed to continue stretching.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

cramping.

Event comments:

volunteers were everywhere: helping with wet suit removal, holding bikes at port-a-johns. every mile was an aid station on the run that was fully stocked with salt tabs, water, gatorade, fruit cookies, shot blocks etc.

Last updated: 2008-11-01 12:00 AM
Swimming
01:20:50 | 4224 yards | 01m 55s / 100yards
Age Group: 0/85
Overall: 321/683
Performance: Good
Suit: full xterra
Course: 2 loop course in Russian River. As a damned river, there was no chop or current to speak of
Start type: Wade Plus: Waves
Water temp: 74F / 23C Current: Low
200M Perf. Good Remainder: Good
Breathing: Good Drafting: Below average
Waves: Navigation: Average
Rounding: Average
T1
Time: 06:32
Performance: Average
Cap removal: Average Helmet on/
Suit off:
No
Wetsuit stuck? No Run with bike: No
Jump on bike: No
Getting up to speed: Average
Biking
06:06:27 | 112 miles | 18.34 mile/hr
Overall: 142/683
Performance: Average
I think I split the laps pretty consistently. When I looked at my watch, I was around 3:03 for the 1st lap
Wind: Little
Course: 2 loop course through Sonoma. The course had a lot of rolling hills with one climb at ~45 and ~95 (Chalk Hill). The course was fair and challenging
Road: Smooth Dry Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering: Below average
Gear changes: Good Hills: Average
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 04:32
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike
Running with bike
Racking bike
Shoe and helmet removal
Running
05:41:59 | 26.2 miles | 13m 03s  min/mile
Overall: 427/683
Performance: Bad
Course: hilly and challenging. There were 2 big climbs on each loop ~2.5 and 4 miles out.
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5] 3
Physical exertion [1-5] 4
Good race? Ok
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities: Good
Race evaluation [1-5] 5

{postbutton}
2009-08-08 6:35 PM

Subject: Vineman Full Ironman

2009-08-10 9:42 AM
in reply to: #2336176

User image

Expert
Subject: RE: Vineman Full Ironman

Great first Ironman.  Congrats on the finish!

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Vineman Full Ironman Rss Feed