Overall Rank = n/a/
Age Group = 35-39
Age Group Rank = 0/
Swim
  • 00m 40s
  • 0 yards
  • / 100 yards
Comments:

Because of bad weather, we had a kiddie swim. We basically ran out the starting chute, along the shore and then back out the finish. Life guards lined the whole way just in case we fell. it was quite mushy, so that could have happened. I was very disappointed since I rented a wetsuit for the race. I also had been getting pretty good at swimming efficiently. Or so I thought. I won't know until next year. :-(
Transition 1
  • 02m 21s
Comments:

It didn't take me long to get into my bike gear and out for the bike. It was just somewhat crazy since everyone was leaving the transition area at approximately the same time. You can ride in the transition area in this race, so it was a bit tricky to try not to run into the other bikers.
What would you do differently?:

I really wish I could put the shoes on the bike and get into them that way. I'll need to work on that for next year.
Bike
  • 1h 19m 44s
  • 21 miles
  • 15.80 mile/hr
Comments:

This was a very discouraging bike. Since everyone was basically starting on the bike at the same time, I was passed by just about everyone for the first 9 miles. It was bike after bike going by me. So very discouraging. I didn't even come close to the average speed of 18 mph that I wanted to achieve. I didn't even meet last years average speed. Sad really. I can honestly say that I wasn't fatigued, I just couldn't maintain a fast speed. I really just need to spend more time going longer distances on my road bike. Biking to work each day on my commuter doesn't cut it.

The weather I'm sure did also contribute to the performance. The roads were wet, it rained and the corners were slow. I'm actually glad I spent that Sunday morning in April getting cold & wet on the Iron Man ride. It helped me realize that biking in the rain is possible. I just didn't expect to have to do it for a tri.
What would you do differently?:

Train more, and train more effectively. If I ever want to get better on the bike, I have to give it the same focus I do swimming.
Transition 2
  • 01m 44s
Comments:

I was in and out fast! Too bad it was for nothing. They stopped the run when I was barely into it.
Run
  • 00m
  • 6.21 miles
  •  min/mile
Comments:

I barely made it a mile when I was turned back. Sure, it was pouring rain, but how much wetter could we get?
Post race
Warm down:

Warm down? How about dry off and head for the car? That's what it was.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

Weather, lack of training, the race directors calling the run. I have lots of excuses.

Event comments:

This is a good race. The director has the safety of everyone in mind, and that was clearly demonstrated. I just wish mother nature had cooperated.

Last updated: 2009-07-09 12:00 AM
Swimming
00:00:40 | 00 yards | / 100yards
Age Group: 0/
Overall: 0/
Performance:
Suit:
Course:
Start type: Plus:
Water temp: 71F / 22C Current:
200M Perf. Remainder:
Breathing: Drafting:
Waves: Navigation:
Rounding:
T1
Time: 02:21
Performance: Good
Cap removal: Helmet on/
Suit off:
Wetsuit stuck? Run with bike:
Jump on bike:
Getting up to speed:
Biking
01:19:44 | 21 miles | 15.80 mile/hr
Performance: Below average
Wind: Some
Course: The course is relatively flat, but very smooth. There are some tricky turns and the bike lane is really only meant for one bike and then room for passing.
Road: Smooth Wet Cadence:
Turns: Below average Cornering:
Gear changes: Good Hills:
Race pace: Comfortable Drinks: Just right
T2
Time: 01:44
Overall:
Riding w/ feet on shoes
Jumping off bike Good
Running with bike Good
Racking bike Good
Shoe and helmet removal Good
Running
00:00:00 | 06.21 miles |  min/mile
Performance:
Course:
Keeping cool Drinking
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall:
Mental exertion [1-5]
Physical exertion [1-5]
Good race?
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? No
Lots of volunteers? Yes
Plenty of drinks? Yes
Post race activities:
Race evaluation [1-5] 3

{postbutton}
2009-08-08 10:59 PM

User image

Minneapolis
Subject: Turtleman Triathlon

2009-08-09 6:46 AM
in reply to: #2336453

User image

Veteran
Arden Hills, MN
Subject: RE: Turtleman Triathlon
Fun time out in the rain huh? It's too bad they pulled people off the course but I understand why they did it. When I was out there I could hear/see thunder and lightening everywhere.

Hopefully we'll get decent weather next year!
2009-08-09 9:35 PM
in reply to: #2336453

User image

Expert
St. Paul, MN
Subject: RE: Turtleman Triathlon

Sorry your bike wasn't where you wanted it to be, but it sounds like the whole thing was pretty crazy.  Glad you stayed safe.

General Discussion-> Race Reports!
{postbutton}
General Discussion Race Reports! » Turtleman Triathlon Rss Feed