Minnesota Heart Institute/MDRA
70F / 21C
Overcast
Total Time = 08m
Overall Rank = 21/39
Age Group = 30-39
Age Group Rank = 5/9
Pre-race routine:

Woke up 5:00 am showered and had my Honey Nut Cheerios. Got to the race site about an hour early, got checked in and played with my daughter until I needed to warm up
Event warmup:

Took a 10 minute run about 1/2 hour before race time. Followed the first 1/2 mile of the run course which let me scout out the first hill we had and figure out how hard I could run it without burning my legs up at the start.
Run
  • 26m 16s
  • 3.11 miles
  • 08m 27s  min/mile
Comments:

Set a good run pace through out. The first mile was perfect, I set a good rhythm. The start was uphill, which I attacked pretty hard. I had run the hill on warm up so I knew I could attack the hill as after cresting it there was a nice downhill grade which I could run aggressively on it. Felt really good after mile one. My legs were a little uncomfortable which is what I wanted. Mile two was pretty flat. I felt I was keeping my pace but I was about 45 seconds slower on the second mile. For mile 3 I tried to empty the gas tank. There was a small hill in this mile that towards the top I felt myself fade a little. Dug down a little and pushed back and regained what I lost and made a strong kick for the finish line. I was pretty excited when I saw the 26 minutes on the clock as my run goal was to beat 27 minutes. As I passed the finish line I had nothing left so a pretty good effort.
What would you do differently?:

Keep the pace on the flats. Need to remember to hurt a little more when the track is course is flat.
Post race
Warm down:

Walked around and stretched a bit. I also managed to get a free massage which was awesome. I really need to make sure to get more massages, especially when they are free.

What limited your ability to perform faster:

For me this was a great performance. I need to continue to work at adding speed. For where I am was at today I couldn't go any faster. I just need to continue to work on my running program.

Event comments:

Overall a nice race. This race is partnered with Minnesota Distance Runners Association, which meant the race had a high concentration of fast runners in it. Not the normal mix of people for a 5k, it was made up of a lot of serious runners. It is a smaller race with only about 100-200 people. Most of the people where in the 15k and only 80 in the 5k. Overall good setup and friendly volunteers.

Last updated: 2009-07-16 12:00 AM
Running
00:26:16 | 03.11 miles | 08m 27s  min/mile
Age Group: 0/9
Overall: 0/39
Performance: Good
First mile at 8:38, second mile at 17:50, Lost time in the second mile, I think I relaxed too much. Need to work on that.
Course: One hill at the start with a nice drop on the backside. Mile 2 was mostly flat without much to it. Starting mile 3 another small hill, with additional good drop on the backside. Allowed for a good solid kick for the end of the race.
Keeping cool Average Drinking Just right
Post race
Weight change: %
Overall: Good
Mental exertion [1-5] 5
Physical exertion [1-5] 5
Good race? Yes
Evaluation
Course challenge Just right
Organized? Yes
Events on-time? Yes
Lots of volunteers? Yes