General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition/Hydration help requested..... Rss Feed  
Moderators: k9car363, alicefoeller Reply
2009-08-10 11:18 AM

Subject: Nutrition/Hydration help requested.....

I'm doing my first Olympic this weekend in MI...should be 85+ degrees!!!!  Flat course but I am a terrible runner (especially in hot/steamy conditions).

I plan to consume 2 bananas per day this week...

Any other suggestions for this week/pre-race.

TIA!!

2009-08-10 11:22 AM
in reply to: #2338631

User image

Expert
lake forest, California
Subject: RE: Nutrition/Hydration help requested.....

Have you used electrolyte replacement pills such as Enduralytes? A definite on most distances in the heat and humidity. I'm not sure it's something you should tryu for the first time on race day though-

2009-08-10 11:24 AM
in reply to: #2338650

User image

Champion
Fountain Hills, AZ
jbjboc - 2009-08-10 11:22 AM

Have you used electrolyte replacement pills such as Enduralytes? A definite on most distances in the heat and humidity. I'm not sure it's something you should tryu for the first time on race day though-

Yeah, DO NOT do this. You don't needed some fancy supplement, especially if you have never used it before. Just increase a bit your overall electrolyte consumption, sip on a Gatorade, put some salt on you vegggies, have a bit more carbohydrate.
2009-08-10 11:28 AM
in reply to: #2338631

New user
- regularly drink water....
- plan out your food for before, during and after your race... ie: what sports drink are you going to have on the bike... are you going to have gells or snacks of any kind on the bike / run....
- if you don't like the typical recovery food or have allergies such as milk allergy - consider taking your own recovery bar you are used to.

- eat like you normally due all week and just make sure you are getting good quality carbs and protein and fats.... lately I've been enjoying bagels, brown rice salad, scrambled eggs with veggies and fish more often with extra training but that's just me :-) I try to eat lots of fruit for the natural sugars and water after my workouts now because they are extra yummy!

- careful that you don't suddendly do something you haven't done before like have a spicy meal or veggies you are used to that cause gas (for me that is beets and cabbage) or drink excessively if at all if you don't normally drink. Any negative change in diet could affect your race, energy levels and digestion...

just a few things I've picked up along the way. best wishes on your race... my last one is on the 23rd.

Heather
2009-08-10 12:17 PM
in reply to: #2338656

User image

Expert
lake forest, California

bryancd - 2009-08-10 9:24 AM

Yeah, DO NOT do this. You don't needed some fancy supplement, especially if you have never used it before. Just increase a bit your overall electrolyte consumption, sip on a Gatorade, put some salt on you vegggies, have a bit more carbohydrate.

Are you saying NO to products such as Enduralytes all together or just nothing new on race day? Just curious what your opinion is & if you just follow an increased consumption plan.

2009-08-10 12:26 PM
in reply to: #2338838

User image

Elite
Gilbert, Az.
jbjboc - 2009-08-10 10:17 AM

bryancd - 2009-08-10 9:24 AM

Are you saying NO to products such as Enduralytes all together or just nothing new on race day? Just curious what your opinion is & if you just follow an increased consumption plan.

Just nothing new on race day. It would really suck to be motoring along at a PR pace, and suddenly find out that your brand new spiffy electrolyte replacement solution gives you cramps or explosive diarrhea. If you haven't eaten it in training, it doesn't go in your mouth on race day.

John

New Thread
General Discussion Triathlon Talk » Nutrition/Hydration help requested..... Rss Feed